Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : NaDRODArchMo 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2434
IP: Logged
icon NaDRODArchMo 4 (+1)  
It's a completely arbitrary time of year again and I feel like I need to get back into making rooms. So, why not do another NaDRODArchMo?

For those not familiar, NaDRODArchMo is an exercise where participants try to make at least 30 rooms in a month, although we don't have a fixed month we do it in.

The rooms don't have to be good, or even solvable (though most of us do try to aim for solvable rooms). It's all about seeing what you end up with. You may or may not decide to use some of the rooms in a published hold, it's entirely up to you.

Anyone interested can take part. This thread can be used to post your hold-in-progress publicly, but that's not actually required or anything. If someone does post their progress here, feel free to comment on the rooms and especially to make a note of any that you particularly liked.

When posting your progress, please only make one post with the hold and update the attachment whenever you feel like showing off whatever you've done.
03-02-2020 at 12:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel

File: Return of the Rooms.hold (9.7 KB)
Downloaded 49 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: NaDRODArchMo 4 (+1)  
I'm sure some of you will be saddened that this isn't called ROOMS ROOMS ROOMS ROOMS ROOMS ROOMS, but I think that series has gone about as far as it can go.

Anyhow, here's where I'll be posting my progress.

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Dragon Fogel at 03-31-2020 02:05 AM]
03-02-2020 at 01:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
MHighbrow
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 153

File: NaDRODArchMo 4 - MHighbrow - v5 final.hold (34.4 KB)
Downloaded 44 times.
License: Public Domain
I'm giving this a shot. As an architect I often get hung up on trying to trying to make my rooms tricky and pretty, so this is some good encouragement to just get rooms working quickly without worrying about aesthetics or difficulty.

edit 25th March: I'm calling this done now at 36 rooms. Really enjoyed doing this! I especially enjoyed making rooms with Halph and Slayers - I love how well supported these puzzle elements still are and how they interact with The Second Sky elements, even though they were both retired partway through the series.

This has made me want to put together a proper hold at some point. I won't be publishing this hold, because the overall design is scrappy and I want to make something more cohesive. I'll probably reuse some of these rooms in later holds if I make them, and have them playtested properly then.

Version history / progress:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by MHighbrow at 03-25-2020 05:35 PM : attached hold updated to v5]
03-02-2020 at 08:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Well, now that it's the ides of March, I guess it's good to do an actual post!

I wasn't sure how much participation there would be this time, but I'm glad I did this anyways because I do feel like it's helped me get back into room-making, and MHighbrow's rooms have also been interesting. (I haven't checked out v3 for those yet, but the previous rooms were pretty fun to run through. So I'm looking forward to it.)

Of course, if anyone was on the fence about doing this, well, even halfway through the month, it's not too late. You don't even have to aim for 30 rooms if that sounds like too much for you; I encourage you to try tossing rooms together anyways and see what you end up with. You just might end up with some cool rooms that you want to use in an actual hold!
03-16-2020 at 05:05 AM
Dragon Fogel
Thirty rooms made in thirty days!

I would actually be okay with publishing the hold I ended up with, even if a few rooms aren't that great. Especially the one I made three attempts at which didn't quite work out on any of them. Definitely feel like this helped me de-rust my architectural skills a little.

Participation was a little low this time around, but it seems it was a useful exercise for both of us, so I have no complaints.
03-31-2020 at 02:15 AM
MHighbrow
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 153
Yeah, this was really useful for me as a learning experience. Learned a lot about room layout, level layout, and oddly enough, when to give up. (I wasted a couple of days on rooms which were fundamentally broken.) This has got me going on a real hold now.

Thank you for hosting this!
04-01-2020 at 04:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : NaDRODArchMo 4
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com