Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Castle
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
1stCortez
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 28
IP: Logged

File: Castle.drh (81.5 KB)
Downloaded 67 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Castle (+6)  
Here's my first rpg hold, I honestly have no idea if it's hard or easy especially secret area in south east corner of the map.
Hot tiles are pretty much only in said area, some custom enemies, backtracking

Changelog:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by 1stCortez at 09-06-2019 06:56 PM]
08-30-2019 at 08:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4590
icon Re: Castle (+2)  
This looks really good! I've been playing for just over an hour, and I've unlocked the area starting in 11N4E, but it looks like I'm about to be stuck as there isn't enough health around to continue. My stats are:

I have a few criticisms so far, and have found what seems to be a bug.

* In the area around 9N5E, the multiplier varies erratically between x1 and x2. I'd prefer it to be consistently x2, since enemies here are tougher and you need the double-value health pickups. (This would also be consistent with Tendry's Tale and most other RPG holds, where there is either a separate level or a distinct area where the multiplier advances to x2, and once inside that area it doesn't decrease again unless you return to an earlier area.)

* 7N is an obvious place for an autosave.

* It was a bit rude that after going past the guards in 8N, I discovered I needed a green key and had to reload, since I wasn't going to take the guards' damage twice for nothing. Also, after I opened the NE area, it was especially annoying that these guards were still there, preventing easy access to the south area.

* The chokepoint at 9N3W is dramatic at first, when you cross it and are trapped inside a new area; but it was annoying later that I could never open it since it's not really worth a green key.

* Not sure what the deal is with 7N5E. I can't see it ever being worth two yellow keys to get back one and some information. (Then again, I don't know what accessories are available in the part of the hold I haven't reached yet!)

I'll have another attempt later -- while it does seem quite hard at the moment, maybe that will change now that I have advance knowledge of where the sword and shield upgrades are located. I'll let you know how that goes :thumbsup

08-31-2019 at 01:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
Short sword:

Overall, this is not bad. There are a number of places (6N1W, 7N5W) where there is a yellow key and a small potion behind a monster and a door. This could eventually be worth it, but it's not worth it at all when you reach it. Similarly, there's no point taking defense gems in the few places where they appear, as having more attack generally means attack is more worthwhile.

Bronze Shield:

Obviously, this is not optimized.

I'll post more when I'm further.
08-31-2019 at 01:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2670
I decided to give this a play and thought I'd record it and tell you my thoughts, rather than collect them and write them down at the end. So far have reached the end of the ice area. I see you have since uploaded a version 2, I probably won't upgrade to a newer version in the middle of a playthrough.

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 08-31-2019 10:51 AM]
08-31-2019 at 10:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
1stCortez
icon Re: Castle (0)  
kieranmillar wrote:
I probably won't upgrade to a newer version in the middle of a playthrough.

Thanks for your video, it's interesting how players think
in diffrent ways than my intented playthrough :).
Regarding not upgrading to the second version, as Nuntar already pointed out I made a really big mistake in the 9N6E with the item multiplier being fidgety between x1 and x2
08-31-2019 at 11:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Gordius
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 91
icon Re: Castle (+1)  
Just finished the regular ending and now I need to go back and work through the accessories. I can see how to use the first three to get a fourth and then where to use that, but haven't yet done so.

My only comment is that, toward the end, there are rewards behind greckle doors that seem like you should hardly bother with the doors. I had something like 1500 greckles, so spending 90 wasn't any concern at all.
09-03-2019 at 11:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Gordius
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 91
Okay, and now I finished the Pirate ending (with no clear idea what else to try, since I didn't see options I missed). I wasn't able to test this, because I would have had to back up too far to check, but in 9N6E, if you wait on the rightmost pair of rewards until you have the grappling hook, I believe you can jump from the top of the blue door to the top of the black door to the Escape Route area. That's going to have you entering that area from the wrong end (and still carrying the grappling hook), and I don't really know how that might allow players to abuse the situation. I didn't see anything to suggest that's how I might have gotten a third ending, but if it's deliberate, then fine. But I figured I'd mention it, in case it is an unintentional approach.
09-04-2019 at 11:11 PM
Midootje
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 109
Gordius wrote:
in 9N6E, if you wait on the rightmost pair of rewards until you have the grappling hook, I believe you can jump from the top of the blue door to the top of the black door to the Escape Route area.
This isn't possible, since there is an accessible space next to the blue door. The player will either step off (when trying to walk) or get an 'error sound' (when trying to manually use the Grappling Hook). If there was a pit between the two doors, it'd be a different story, but as it is, you can't skip the black door.

09-05-2019 at 01:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
1stCortez
I dont' see more negative feedback on the hold so how do I post it on official site? Or am I missing something?
09-05-2019 at 02:38 PM
kieranmillar
When you are ready to submit to the HAs to go through the HA process and get the hold onto the RPG Holds board, there is a button you will see at the top of this thread to submit it to them.

Bear in mind I hope to record the second half later today and post a video, so you might as well hang on a little longer just in case.
09-05-2019 at 04:07 PM
kieranmillar

Part 2 will be here when it finishes processing.

It seems the checkpoint characters are causing error beeps. Looking at them in the editor, I believe this is happening because the character is based off of the None character which you don't want to do for anything that will be visible in a room. Try changing Checkpoint to be a Wubba instead of None and I think the beeps will go away.

As you will see in my video, I never found the grappling hook but still managed to beat the pirate by using the portable orb to get into the secret area. If this is something you want to change, maybe try blocking the Northern entrance to the secret area with 2 doors.
09-06-2019 at 12:14 AM
Lysteria
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
Just finished this hold, I really enjoyed it. A few choices are really vital and might need to respawn earlier, I had one of those with a green key I was lacking. A whole lot of backtracking for the longest time, I don't mind but I can understand if people are bothered with this since the short way takes a looong time to be free of any damage.

Just one question about a thing at the end.

09-15-2019 at 07:58 PM
1stCortez
Lysteria wrote:

Just one question about a thing at the end.

No you're not :)
09-22-2019 at 01:00 PM
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
I noticed that you aren't participating in the Hold Admin discussion regarding your hold. I thought I'd let you know about that feature in case you didn't know about it. If you click on the Hold Admin link at the top of the forum you should be able to check the discussion.

One thing I've noticed so far is that the checkpoint you placed at 9N3E doesn't work as expected. It blocks player movement but still activates when bumped. Since it doesn't block anything this isn't an issue that would prevent the hold from being published, but I think it would be nice to fix this up before we publish the hold.

09-28-2019 at 05:00 AM
kieranmillar
mauvebutterfly wrote:
If you click on the Hold Admin link at the top of the forum you should be able to check the discussion.
This link only appears for hold admins. For 1stCortez the discussion will be at the top of this thread.

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 09-28-2019 06:45 AM]
09-28-2019 at 06:44 AM
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
I've just finished playing through this hold with 100% secrets. I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but it seems like there is no reason to ever kill the Mad King, aside from the score checkpoint. This is fine, of course, but it did seem a bit odd to me.

Ending stats for the Pirate checkpoint having also killed the Mad King (only cost me about 400 HP, so while suboptimal, isn't that bad):

09-28-2019 at 12:29 PM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4590
Just finished the hold with the good ending and 100% secrets, in 2 hours 25 minutes. Stats:

123 HP
322 ATK
87 DEF
Forgot to note my keys, but my score was 2124 so I had keys to the value of 25 yellow.

Really good stuff! I enjoyed every moment of this. It's really well constructed; exploration feels rewarding and there are well-hidden secrets; custom monsters are pretty well-balanced; stat progression throughout the hold felt satisfying although it was a little odd that there are so few shield gems.

One thing I particularly liked (spoilers for accessory use):

Something humorous that happened in my playthrough:

10-30-2019 at 11:34 PM
Professor Tio
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 100
Just finished the good end! I didn't get around to dealing with
but I got through ultimately. Final score at the end:

HP - 236
ATK - 290
DEF - 93
Keys - 4/4
Final Score - 1854

I'm not too good with judging performance in this game when dealing with higher score values but I guess I did well? Correct me if I'm wrong. Either way, I liked it! I had to restart from a failed attempt that lost its steam in the 4th section, but that didn't detract from my experience.

Quick Edit - I went back to the point when I got the Flippers and did some additional optimization from there (including grabbing the hand-bomb like intended). Final score?

[Last edited by Professor Tio at 11-01-2019 04:33 PM : Score Update]
10-31-2019 at 04:42 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Castle
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com