Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Magirune (DROD RPG-esque free online game)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1531
IP: Logged
icon Magirune (+2)  
Quickly found that this game is sort of like a vastly more forgiving version of the gameplay style of TotS and DROD RPG. Turn based with key exchanges, monsters serving as obstacles that drain your limited health. It's more forgiving in that each "new" monster is worth 10 XP (which is the main way to improve stats) but monsters you've killed respawn when you leave the floor and are still worth 1 XP on re-fighting--so grinding is possible. Also, you respawn at the checkpoint with no lost progress on death, but based on some comments, it appears a no-death run is required for the "good ending". So, RPG optimizers might have fun.

Game is at:
https://www.kongregate.com/games/Fluffy_Lotus/magirune

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 07-11-2019 04:37 AM]
07-11-2019 at 04:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Magirune (0)  
Neat! Thanks for sharing. :)

Yeah, it's like a TotS-lite! Cute 9x9 rooms and no stats -- just HP, keys, and a few items. Playing this is a good way for new players to ease into this type of puzzle game.

I easily got nerd-sniped by this, being actively engaged on Twisty Little Passages. So far I've found the good ending and I'm ready to try hardcore mode now, which doesn't give you XP for repeat monsters that don't damage you. I'm glad they included this option.

I like the straightforward way that combat damage and leveling up is designed. I like the system for finding new baddies to defeat to gain experience in order to level up, essentially mastering defeating that enemy once you've found them all. Not exactly, but it's close.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 07-23-2019 01:14 AM]
07-22-2019 at 05:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056

File: hardcore ending.png (382.7 KB)
Downloaded 704 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Magirune (+1)  
It took me a few tries to beat Hardcore mode. It's not forgiving, and you need to pull all the tricks out of your bag to win. It's fun to figure out, and it takes less than an hour to go through everything. I think you can optimally reach the top of the tower with this much life left:
Possibly 1/2 or 1 heart more than that if I missed one or two subtle routing optimizations in the third section.

I completed the game at 100% with this many steps, which doesn't necessarily mean anything, and I wasn't trying to optimize this:

Here's the hardcore ending screen (attached):

A nice little game for those who like TotS, DROD RPG, etc!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 07-23-2019 01:14 AM]
07-23-2019 at 01:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Gordius
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 91
icon Re: Magirune (+2)  
Just an update for those who might be interested that there's an Alpha Magirune 2 up on Steam.
10-22-2022 at 01:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Magirune (DROD RPG-esque free online game)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com