Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Blind Race #6
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
mauvebutterfly
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 720
IP: Logged
icon Blind Race #6 (+2)  
It's been a while, so it's time to start planning the next blind race.

What is a DROD blind race?
A short hold consisting of 3 or 4 levels by different architects will be assembled in secret. The estimated playtime for the entire hold should be between 1 and 2 hours. People who aren't involved with the architecture will be able to sign up to run the race. We'll pick a time that works for as many people as possible and then release the hold at that time. Racers will then record themselves playing through the hold for the first time live for our entertainment.

What do we need?
We need people to sign up for the various roles required: architects, testers, and runners. As the organiser I will be unable to run in the race since I will be assembling the levels, so I will be taking on the architect role for this event.

Architects:
Build a short hold of about 6 brain difficulty. It should take about half an hour or less to play through.

Testers:
Once the hold is assembled, testers will be given an invite to the beta hold. Please include total playtime and mention any rooms that seem too difficult during your feedback.

Runners:
Post a time when you'd be able to run in this thread so we can coordinate the race time.

Time:
To be determined once we have input from the runners. Given how many of us here are involved with a school in some capacity, it will probably be during the summer break sometime.

============================================================
Architects:
mauvebutterfly
PigmyWubba
disoriented

Testers:
Dying Flutchman
Dragon Fogel

Runners:
Nuntar
Chaco

Time:
Local Time:01-19-2020 at 06:00 PM

[Last edited by mauvebutterfly at 01-04-2020 05:18 AM]
05-05-2019 at 08:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4590
icon Re: Blind Race #6 (0)  
Thanks for getting this started!

I'd especially like to be a runner, and I could do any time if it's in my summer break (24 June onward).

05-05-2019 at 04:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
I'll see if I can run again this time, and defend my title. These holds have always been pretty fun in their own right, not just in the race context, so I'm happy to provide any tiny incentive I can for people to make tricky rooms :)

05-05-2019 at 04:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2384
I can be a tester.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
05-05-2019 at 05:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dying Flutchman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 406
546th testing sergeant reporting
(wrong topic?)

05-05-2019 at 06:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
PigmyWubba
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 151
I have a level 75% done for this so I'll sign up for architect.

During blind race 5 I had made most of a level but when everyone else used floor elements I made a new level based on oremites and saved the other one for blind race 6.

05-05-2019 at 08:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
icon Re: Blind Race #6 (+2)  
Sorry for dropping the ball on this one.

I was wondering if I needed to do something different for the rooms this time around or if we'd be getting more architects. I have ideas for either approach.

Unfortunately, I had a serious accident on Wednesday, and both my arms are now in casts. Doctor estimates this will last for about 3 weeks. I'm not really doing much DROD (or anything, really) for the foreseeable future. The actual race will have to be during the school term or pushed back to winter break at this point.

07-13-2019 at 07:52 AM
Dying Flutchman
icon Re: Blind Race #6 (+1)  
Good luck with your arms Mauve! Having both immobilized simultaneously must be pretty difficult.

I was wondering about the status of this one as well. These are my last working weeks before a four-week holiday. So I expect to be able to do some testing not earlier than the end of August actually. Don't wait for me, if you can continue. But if you need me, who, that'll take some time...

07-13-2019 at 09:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Okay, this has been sitting here for long enough. Let's try this again.

I'm hoping that we'll be able to run the race in the winter break (January?) to accommodate the school semester for those of us affected by that.

To that end, I'm still looking for 2 more architects to contribute levels to this. I think it would be better for the racers to have a variety of architectural styles rather than having me just make a lot of rooms myself.

11-09-2019 at 01:14 AM
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
If I volunteer, that would mean two architects from the previous race hold making levels in this one. I'd prefer a bit more architect variety than that.

But it may be unavoidable. So I suppose you can consider me available, but willing to step aside.
11-09-2019 at 01:37 AM
mauvebutterfly
Well, if the runners are different this time than last time, having repeated architects isn't as much of an issue. I ran last time but am architecting this time.

Of course the issue we've usually had with previous runs was getting enough runners, not getting enough architects.

I'm starting to think that maybe the blind races were a fun diversion that this community is ready to move on from, which is also fine.

11-09-2019 at 04:29 AM
Dying Flutchman
I've been working on an easy one-level hold. I thinks this could fit the race well.

It involves one (very simple) custom element. That might give the race an interesting twist.

Mauve: I could share the concept hold as it is right now through pm with you. If you think it could work, I'll be happy to contribute this hold as a race level.

11-09-2019 at 08:05 AM
mauvebutterfly
I think that custom elements might not be a good idea for a race. That being said we have used lemmings in race levels in the past, although that's an "official" custom element, so it's somewhat reasonable.

The issue is that learning a new element is a different kind of skill and "guess-the-scripting" isn't a popular puzzle type. Going fast and learning new elements probably don't mix well.

Of course if the runners are okay with it then that's the most important thing. To be fair, we'd either have to release the element in advance or keep it completely under wraps (no mentions in chat). The latter is probably the better option.

11-09-2019 at 08:43 AM
Dying Flutchman
mauvebutterfly wrote:
The issue is that learning a new element is a different kind of skill and "guess-the-scripting" isn't a popular puzzle type. Going fast and learning new elements probably don't mix well.

Yes,I agree with that. But this customization is so simple and self-explaining that I believe it won't distract from the puzzles.

But I'll simply send it over I the beta forum and we'll see what you and other testers think. I'd be happy to save the level for another occasion. Also: blind race levels should be nice/interesting/beautiful/witty/original/etc. That's also something that I shouldn't judge for my own work.

I'll share what I have so far on Monday, I expect.

11-09-2019 at 12:05 PM
disoriented
I could probably contribute a few rooms if needed.

11-10-2019 at 07:29 PM
mauvebutterfly
Thanks disoriented. That'd be great.

11-11-2019 at 08:06 AM
navithmastero
Rank Points: 596
I'd like to race provided it doesn't clash with... life. I'm a tentative yes on the race front and will confirm either way once a time is proposed.

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

11-11-2019 at 02:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Sorry for the delay on this. I've invited Dragon Fogel and disoriented to the beta board.

11-18-2019 at 01:59 PM
disoriented
The BR6 hold is coming together. I think we're ready to pick a date for this.

12-17-2019 at 03:30 AM
mauvebutterfly
This one took a long time to get together, but we have a hold pretty much ready to go.

When is a good time for the runners? Are the people listed still good for running this?

Some time in January or February would be nice. I'm not sure about people's college schedules, but if there's a break in that period I guess that would be ideal.

01-04-2020 at 04:46 AM
mauvebutterfly
And we've picked a time!

Local Time:01-19-2020 at 06:00 PM

If you are available at this time and want to spectate or even participate yourself, this is when it's happening.

Note that this is 3am for me, so I'll probably be delegating the posting of the race thread to one of the other architects or testers.

01-04-2020 at 05:22 AM
Dying Flutchman
mauvebutterfly wrote:
...Note that this is 3am for me, so I'll probably be delegating the posting of the race thread to one of the other architects or testers.

I am sure already that I won't be sure to be there. However, what about posting a filelink (dropbox, gdrive, whatever) to the hold and time-secretizing that?

We could I fact open up the race topic now if we want to.

Shall I set it up?

01-04-2020 at 01:10 PM
mauvebutterfly
The DROD forums have a weird habit of bugging out with the time stuff. Might just be limited to poll responses, and the bug might've been fixed, but I'd prefer to have a person responsible for doing it in real time.

I'm assuming that at least one of the architects will be watching the race live. Or someone from the community, for that matter. It'd be a pretty silly race if nobody was there to see it.

01-04-2020 at 01:50 PM
disoriented
The BR6 hold is ready and we are good to go for the race this Sunday. :)

Anyone else want to race?

[Last edited by disoriented at 01-16-2020 04:15 PM]
01-16-2020 at 04:11 PM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4590
I hope I'll still be able to do this. I've been unwell for a while, and part of it is that my sleep cycle is messed up and varies erratically from one day to the next. I'll do my best to make it, since we don't have enough runners.

01-17-2020 at 03:19 AM
navithmastero
Rank Points: 596
I'd really like to race but I'm currently recovering from concussion so am not sure if I'll be fit to race come Sunday :?

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

01-17-2020 at 09:05 PM
Dying Flutchman
I've seen several people needing long recovery after they went back to work/reading/screens/games too soon. So be careful with you 'digital comeback'.
You shouldn't be reading the forum, really :P

01-18-2020 at 11:55 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
navithmastero wrote:
I'd really like to race but I'm currently recovering from concussion so am not sure if I'll be fit to race come Sunday :?

Well, I hope you'd be interested in trying out the race blind some other time when you're feeling better. Nothing wrong with just taking the hold and doing a solo speedrun to see what going fast is like.

01-19-2020 at 04:37 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Tentative yes.

5am is actually semi-good for not getting interrupted, assuming I wake up and my kids don't wake up.
01-19-2020 at 11:48 AM
mauvebutterfly
IMPORTANT INFORMATION:

I think that most people are familiar with how the joker script works at this point, but I thought it only fair to explain it here just in case.

In order to complete the race you must complete each of the levels. To complete one of the levels you must complete all of the required rooms in that level. There is a blue door in each entrance to serve as a reminder, so if the entrance contains a puzzle and it is the last room you solve, you must leave and re-enter the entrance to get credit for the level.

=================================================

JOKERS: You begin the race with 2 jokers available. At any time you can hit the special command key (numpad period by default) to use a joker. This will kill all monsters in the room. It will also activate a conquer token and deactivate all active seeding beacons if they are present.

Basically, you can skip up to 2 rooms by using the special command. I've tested that this works in all rooms, so hopefully there won't be any problems.

Obviously the joker script will be removed from the hold for the sake of high scores once the hold is published.

01-19-2020 at 12:24 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Blind Race #6
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com