Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Arky's Revenge (Contest for May)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2434
IP: Logged
icon Arky's Revenge (+3)  
Welcome to the newest DROD contest!

The rules are simple: Make a single room in the style of the Arky rooms in DROD: The Second Sky.

Obviously, there's going to be some difference of opinion from person to person on exactly what this means, but that's part of the fun.

However, as some people may not have played through Second Sky, or not have found any of these rooms, I'll offer a quick explanation and some examples of the rooms.

Who is Arky?

For those who haven't played through it, DROD: The Second Sky features a new character: the new First Archivist, who Beethro calls "Arky" in order to distinguish between him and the former First Archivist (who Beethro calls A1). He has a rather distinctive speaking style, with a voice provided by Erik Hermansen.

Arky is a minor antagonist who gets in Beethro's way from time to time. He is particularly upset by Beethro's rudeness.

What's an Arky Room?

A number of the secret rooms in Second Sky were created by Arky, marked as such by scrolls where he explains his thought process in making the room.

In Second Sky, these scrolls are accompanied by a voiced explanation from Arky. Erik has kindly agreed to reprise that role for the contest compilation once it's time to publish. (I'm not doing it before then because people might decide to re-word their scrolls after the contest is over.)

Here are two examples of these scrolls, along with the rooms they go in:

Click here to view the secret text

Submission Guidelines

Entries to this contest will consist of a single room. If you want to make more than one entry (participants are allowed up to three), you may include them all in the same hold.

Entries should include one or more Arky's Notes scrolls, as seen in the examples, and these scrolls should be easily readable at the start of the room. It is not necessary to script Arky talking, I'll take care of that after the contest is over.

I ask that each entry be a separate level. I will be using the name of the level to refer to the respective entries during the voting, so please name them while keeping this in mind.

There's no particular expectation of how hard the rooms should be; some of the canon Arky rooms are very simple and straightforward, while others are quite devious. Use your own judgement on what difficulty to aim for.

Submissions will close in three weeks - that is, on May 22. I'm not going to be a stickler about the exact time, though.

[Last edited by Dragon Fogel at 05-01-2019 08:45 PM]
05-01-2019 at 08:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1531
icon Re: Arky's Revenge (0)  
When you say each entry should be a single room--do you mean it should have a level entrance and stairs in it, or that it should be a room like the ones in TSS that could theoretically connect up to other rooms in the same level?

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

05-02-2019 at 01:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
icon Re: Arky's Revenge (+1)  
I would suggest using an edge-of-room exit because, as you said, that's closer to the original style, but that's not a hard-and-fast rule.
05-02-2019 at 01:56 AM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Awesome contest! :thumbsup

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-03-2019 at 02:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
How do you intend on piecing the submissions together? I'm wondering if there's any point in decorating the entrance room at all leading into the Arky room.

05-03-2019 at 06:59 AM
Dragon Fogel
I'm probably going to present the whole thing as a single location, which is to say, connecting multiple entries on the same level. There might be more than one level depending on the number of entries and what makes for a more convenient layout. If anyone uses stairs for their entry, I'll just have stairs that lead to it but probably keep it on the same level.

That said, such a setup is likely to use a lot of connecting hallways, so if you design your decorative entrance so that I can take out arbitrary walls on any of the sides without disrupting anything, it could easily be fit in somewhere.
05-03-2019 at 07:41 AM
Dragon Fogel
There's about two weeks left to submit entries! I like what I've seen so far and I'm looking forward to whatever else comes in.
05-09-2019 at 01:58 AM
Dragon Fogel
About one week to go!

Currently there are 22 submitted entries. I'm happy to see that this contest has generated so much interest.
05-15-2019 at 07:16 AM
Dying Flutchman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 406
Dragon Fogel wrote:
About one week to go!

Currently there are 22 submitted entries. I'm happy to see that this contest has generated so much interest.

Wow, that's nice! Topic is cool, but I guess having more 1-room contests also helps.

05-15-2019 at 05:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2384
Poor, poor Erik.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
05-15-2019 at 07:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Only a few days left to get your entries in!
05-18-2019 at 03:12 PM
Dragon Fogel
It's approaching the 20th for me, which means there's only about three days left to get an entry in!

If you've got an idea for a room, now's the time to put it together.
05-20-2019 at 05:29 AM
Dragon Fogel
The deadline is approaching! While we already have 28 entries, I wouldn't mind seeing more cool ideas make their way into the contest. But there isn't much time left for that, so if you have an idea, get it done soon!
05-21-2019 at 06:25 AM
Dragon Fogel
It's almost the last day of submissions! Get those rooms made if you haven't already!
05-22-2019 at 03:22 AM
Dragon Fogel
It's the last day and we currently have 32 entries. If you're interested in submitting something, now's your last chance!
05-22-2019 at 03:12 PM
Dragon Fogel
The last day is almost over! I'll formally close this when I'm about to head to sleep, probably in about four hours, and I'll get the compilation and voting thread up tomorrow.

If you've got a cool idea for a room, better submit it quick!
05-23-2019 at 05:08 AM
Dragon Fogel
Submissions are now closed. Voting thread and compilation to come soon.
05-23-2019 at 09:08 AM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Arky's Revenge (+4)  
I have all the dialogue. Gonna record it this Sunday, live on my Twitch stream. (info and link to the stream are in my signature below)

You can join and chat with me if you want. I'll take a little voice direction on the chat if you wrote the line and want me to read it a certain way.

Looking forward to being Arky again. It's a fun voice to do!

-Erik

06-26-2019 at 01:37 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
That's very cool. It was kind of you to agree to do the voice work in the first place, but this is just going above and beyond what I expected.

Thank you so much! Looking forward to the stream, and to adding the voice clips to the compilation.
06-26-2019 at 02:25 AM
ErikH2000
icon Re: Arky's Revenge (+2)  
3pm PST today, I'll be livestreaming my recording of the Arky lines for this contest. If you wrote a line and want me to deliver it a certain way, I'll take some notes from you. I'll also do some lines for the Godkiller game I'm working on. Link below if you want to join!

https://www.twitch.tv/erikh2000

-Erik

06-30-2019 at 06:07 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Thanks for the stream - I was watching, but not in the chat because I don't have any sort of account on Twitch. I definitely liked what I heard, and I'm glad you took the time to say all these things in a silly voice. And I'm sure the rest of the participants are as well.
07-01-2019 at 01:04 AM
ErikH2000
Dragon Fogel wrote:
Thanks for the stream - I was watching, but not in the chat because I don't have any sort of account on Twitch. I definitely liked what I heard, and I'm glad you took the time to say all these things in a silly voice. And I'm sure the rest of the participants are as well.
Sure, sure! It was fun.

-Erik

07-01-2019 at 01:46 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Arky's Revenge (Contest for May)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com