Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : ...she'll carry a really big sword. (149th Critic fanfic!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

9.0/10 (8 votes)
σ 0.71
Author Name:Sebastien
Submitted By:Insoluble
Hold Name:...she'll carry a really big sword.
Theme:149th Critic fanfic!
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:6
Number of Rooms:56
Number of Monsters:260
Version:DROD: The Second Sky (5.0.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:2 (+2 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: shell carry a really big sword.hold (8.2 MB)
Downloaded 469 times.
License: Other
icon ...she'll carry a really big sword.  
I always liked the character of the 149th Critic from TSS. This hold picks up her story after her climactic encounter with Beethro in the Fire Hotlands. The hold focuses predominantly on the story and linchpin style puzzles with a minimal amount of execution difficulty. There are some tricky rooms and rooms which rely on a deep understanding of advanced brain and decoy mechanics, but all blue doors in the hold are completely optional. So if you get stuck on any particular room or, say, all of level 4, feel free to skip it and move on with the story.

Huge thanks to beta testers blorx1, mauvebutterfly, navithmastero, and ThemsAllTook. They found some amazing alternate solutions to some of the rooms here most of which have been kept in and quite a few of which will trigger some bonus scripted dialog. There are, however, no scripted challenges or secret rooms. Also, huge thanks to the HAs who reviewed this hold: Chaco and navithmastero.

Hope you enjoy!
10-30-2018 at 04:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
navithmastero
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 595
icon Re: ...she'll carry a really big sword. (+3)  
Insoluble serves up another awesome hold with '...she'll carry a really big sword'. This is an easier offering than 'Delay', so don't let the 7 brain author rating put you off as a lot of the rooms are really approachable and execution difficulty has been kept to a minimum in the vast majority of cases meaning that this hold is fun throughout and never feels frustrating - all the difficulty lies in understanding the mechanisms behind each room, and this makes for a super experience. This hold is jam packed with lynchpin rooms and the difficulty ranges from pretty modest in the first few levels to pretty tough, with a particularly tricky helping of brain pathmapping rooms (which are super cool by the way!). Insoluble proves once again that he's a good guy by structuring the hold so that you can beat the rooms in any order you'd like so don't worry about getting stuck anywhere. Complete with a fun story and some nice custom artwork, this hold is a really great one and will be enjoyed by DROD veterans and folks who prefer stuff on the slightly easier end alike.

Stop what you're doing and play this hold!

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by navithmastero at 10-08-2020 10:42 AM]
10-30-2018 at 04:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2379

File: scarbs Two Critics Banter 2N2W bug.demo (15.9 KB)
Downloaded 56 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: ...she'll carry a really big sword. (+1)  
This hold is a lot of fun so far. Very cleverly and tightly designed.

I found something weird. Attached is a demo where the player and a mimic somehow end up on the same tile. Not sure what is going on here.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
11-01-2018 at 07:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
navithmastero
Rank Points: 595
No weirdness from that demo on 5.1.0.6545 (latest steam version on Windows). What are you running?

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by navithmastero at 11-01-2018 06:15 PM]
11-01-2018 at 01:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2379
Mac 5.1.0.6512

EDIT: And apparently the bug doesn’t appear in the Windows 6512, according to forum chat.

On another note, the level design here is way cool.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 11-02-2018 08:49 PM]
11-01-2018 at 03:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Punf
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 21
icon Re: ...she'll carry a really big sword. (0)  
There's a backtracking issue/scripting bug in Knavish Delver's Diss: 1S1E. If you take the stairs before completing this room and then return, the decoy wields a stick. This makes the room impossible. As far as I can tell there is no workaround other than restarting the hold.

Not a huge deal since it doesn't block hold completion, but it prevents you from getting all rooms complete on a single save.
10-12-2020 at 06:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : ...she'll carry a really big sword. (149th Critic fanfic!) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com