Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : CrossCode
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1531
IP: Logged
icon CrossCode (+1)  
A very long time ago (I don't remember when), I bought a game called CrossCode on steam that was still in early access. It's a 2D action-rpg-scifi game. They've been steadily building on it for years and as of yesterday, it finally reached 1.0 and left early access!

I waited until this moment to try it out at all, and my first impressions are stellar. The story is interesting, the art is great, and the gameplay just feels wonderful. If the game looks to you like it even might appeal to your tastes, I suggest buying it. It's 15% off at the moment.

It's also on GOG if you prefer that.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 09-22-2018 05:15 AM]
09-22-2018 at 05:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pearls
Rank Points: 767
icon Re: CrossCode (+1)  
Uh, thanks for this recommend. This is going right on my list to "Play immediately." Maybe I'll LP it if there's vague interest. :cool

09-27-2018 at 06:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
icon Re: CrossCode (+2)  
So hey, CrossCode very recently got a huge post-game DLC added on, as in a DLC consisting of a post-game story. I would be inclined to describe it as a proper expansion pack, even, for the amount that's in there. Naturally I bought it, and I haven't finished it, and I don't plan on spoiling really anything about it here. But I'm aching for somewhere to talk about this, so here we go:

Basically the entirety of CrossCode's "zeldaesque dungeons" consist of combat rooms and execution puzzles. Not one singular time throughout the entire game did I feel like something presented as a puzzle was anything other than "it's really obvious what to do, I just need to act/react quickly enough to actually do it." And now, guess what?

The DLC's new humongous mega-dungeon introduces a brand new puzzle element which hooks up with literally every other puzzle element that's been introduced before, and links them together in various interesting ways. Effectively it catalyzes this entire postgame dungeon to be chock full of actual, legitimate "figure out what to do" type puzzles.

I'm of two minds about this; obviously I'm happy to finally see puzzles like that which require me to actually think about how to hook the mechanics and interactions together properly to achieve a desired result. But at the same time, the end result of this is that all of the "thinking puzzles" of the entire game are back-loaded to the postgame. It means that even though these mechanics are interesting and the puzzles here are great, it's kind of hard to recommend the game overall to someone who's looking for good, clever puzzles, as I imagine someone on this forum might be, because there is so much game before you can get to them, plus of course the extra price of buying that DLC.

I suppose this is just the price you pay for having a game that was sequentially developed. It gets way more interesting as it goes in ways that are harder to anticipate because the timespan the game was built over is just too long for the devs to have realistically planned everything out from the beginning. But as a result, the early-game might not give as good of an impression as the overall game experience really is.

Bringing it back around to the main subject matter of this forum, I guess DROD was kind of developed sequentially too, in a way. It's just that it's more like 5 cohesive, big chunks that were each developed over time and each released as an individual whole, rather than CrossCode's steady drip-stream of additional content over several years all being piled onto the same whole.

Phew, okay. Rant is out of me now. I guess it's cool if anyone who's played the game before (or hasn't) wants to comment on the matter, though.

03-12-2021 at 11:50 PM
Keiya
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 73
icon Re: CrossCode (0)  
I adore CrossCode and kept up with it through much of development. They have gone back and fixed most of the really rough early game bits - I remember when the Mine Detector didn't exist, that was a nightmare.

As for the new expansion, though... I haven't beaten it yet, but that boss at the end of the final CrossWorlds temple, woah. Making it fun to get your rear handed to you on a platter repeatedly, but just a little later each time as you learn the patterns, is tough, but they managed it! I'm just glad dying undoes your consumable consumption, I went through an awful lot of sandwiches if you add my attempts together.

Official Hold Progress:

03-13-2021 at 08:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Xindaris
I beat that boss a couple of days ago. As is my usual habit in RPGs, I tend to treat having to use an item as a kind of failure and tried not to. I wound up periodically using something I had 20+ of that boosts health regeneration throughout the fourth phase, but in my winning run I clearly needn't have done that either. I was just sick of dying to that phase and having to go through the relatively less interesting first two phases again.

My strategy mainly consisted of:

[Last edited by Xindaris at 03-17-2021 12:02 AM]
03-16-2021 at 11:56 PM
scottbarrett
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
Great information, Thanks for sharing this information!
05-02-2021 at 09:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : CrossCode
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No