Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : NaDRODArchMo 2 (Building a room a day for the month of June)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
mauvebutterfly
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 720
IP: Logged

File: Architectural Assortment 2.hold (40.1 KB)
Downloaded 46 times.
License: Public Domain
icon NaDRODArchMo 2 (+1)  
I've been in a bit of an architectural rut lately, so I've decided to give this a go again. For those who missed it, National DROD Architecture Month was a thing we did last year where any interested architects would try to make (and upload, if they wanted to) a room a day. The room doesn't have to be good, it doesn't have to work, I guess it doesn't even have to be possible. The point is to just get in the editor and make something.

I might not upload all the rooms I make here, since some of the EP stuff I'm doing should be kept out of the public eye for now, but I'll post about it here if I do end up making a room for that.

My room progress:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by mauvebutterfly at 06-24-2018 02:33 PM]
06-01-2018 at 04:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638

File: NaDRODArchMo2.hold (56.7 KB)
Downloaded 42 times.
icon Re: NaDRODArchMo 2 (0)  
Thanks for starting this up again! I'm going to join in too. Posting here so that I can attach my in progress hold somewhere near the top of the thread. I suggest anyone else interested in joining in do this too so that you don't have to search for it under a bunch of comments and feedback later on.

Progress:

[Last edited by Insoluble at 06-19-2018 11:33 AM]
06-01-2018 at 04:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434

File: ROOMS ROOMS ROOMS ROOMS.hold (9.7 KB)
Downloaded 46 times.
I'll give this a shot again. Maybe it'll help me produce stuff for EP.

Edit: Added.

[Last edited by Dragon Fogel at 07-01-2018 03:05 AM]
06-01-2018 at 04:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300

File: A Room Is Worth 1667 Words.hold (3.8 KB)
Downloaded 47 times.
That's a good idea, Insoluble. I'll do the same. Hopefully I'll get more than the 6(ish?) working rooms I built last time.

[Last edited by Someone Else at 06-13-2018 07:34 AM]
06-01-2018 at 04:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dali
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 174
mauvebutterfly wrote:
The room doesn't have to be good, it doesn't have to work, I guess it doesn't even have to be possible. The point is to just get in the editor and make something.

I don't see the utility of that. Why not making rooms solvable and fun to play ?
06-01-2018 at 09:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
icon Re: NaDRODArchMo 2 (+1)  
Dali wrote: I don't see the utility of that. Why not making rooms solvable and fun to play ?

It is a method to get over creative block. Coming up with fun and solvable rooms can feel like a daunting task. Often the most difficult part of this process is just getting started. Many people have a difficult time with architecture because the pressure of trying to make a room good or interesting often prevents them from getting anywhere. Once you are free to not worry if your rooms are actually good or not, it is much easier to let ideas flow and just build some rooms. Some of those rooms will be bad and not fun, but it's okay since you can just scrap those rooms. A few of the rooms will be interesting and fun and you can go on to put those in your next hold. It is basically a brainstorming session in which you can feel free to experiment and come up with ideas without any of the pressure of having a hold on the architecture boards.

You can also check out the first iteration of NaDRODArchMo in this thread to see how it worked out last time:
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=42925

Many of the architects who participated in the last one ended up with a few rooms that they have gone on to use in other projects. So even though most of the rooms did not end up getting used, it was still a fun and useful experience.

And please feel free to join in the fun! You don't have to build a room every day if you don't want to. Even just using this as motivation to get one or two rooms done if fine.

06-01-2018 at 09:19 PM
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
We're not going to put the bad rooms in our actual published holds. We make rooms and see what we end up with. Then next month we take a look at what we made and think about which of the rooms to use in other projects, or if there's any salvageable ideas in the bad rooms.
06-01-2018 at 09:20 PM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4590
Snake wrangling was discussed in chat earlier today, and it gave me the idea for this room. I get home from work at 11pm, so I had only an hour to put it together, but I only needed half of that :P

I'm going to try to build 30 rooms in the month, rather than strictly one room per day. Some of these will be EP rooms, so I won't post them publicly.

Current progress: 20 rooms

[Last edited by Nuntar at 06-23-2018 01:11 AM]
06-01-2018 at 11:33 PM
Dali
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 174
Once you are free to not worry if your rooms are actually good or not, it is much easier to let ideas flow and just build some rooms. Some of those rooms will be bad and not fun, but it's okay since you can just scrap those rooms. A few of the rooms will be interesting and fun and you can go on to put those in your next hold. It is basically a brainstorming session in which you can feel free to experiment and come up with ideas without any of the pressure of having a hold on the architecture boards.

Ok Insoluble I got it, it's a bit like a freestyle building rooms, yes ok I'll join, it sounds nice :)
06-02-2018 at 11:53 AM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
Insoluble, I played through your rooms:

Fogel, yours too:

[Last edited by Someone Else at 06-05-2018 03:18 AM]
06-05-2018 at 02:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble

File: A Room Is Worth 1667 Words.demo (18.3 KB)
Downloaded 43 times.
Thanks for the feedback Someone Else. I played through the rooms you posted so far. Demos attached. I'll maybe update this post as the month progresses.

06-05-2018 at 02:32 PM
IQubic
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 78
Alright, let's do this. I'm going to join this. I'll be posting my rooms a few at a time. Like, 2-3 rooms every other day. Since I'll be away from DROD from the 22nd until sometime in August. Hopefully I can get enough rooms before leaving.

[Last edited by IQubic at 06-05-2018 07:33 PM]
06-05-2018 at 07:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Insoluble

File: Architectural Assortment 2.demo (19.1 KB)
Downloaded 43 times.
Feedback for mauvebutterfly this time. Demos attached in case.

06-06-2018 at 07:29 AM
Dying Flutchman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 406

File: A Room Is Worth 1667 Struggles.demo (5.5 KB)
Downloaded 41 times.
Hi Someone Else,

Found time to look at some of your rooms, as promised in chat. Demos attached.

Someone Else wrote:

[Last edited by Dying Flutchman at 06-15-2018 09:41 PM]
06-15-2018 at 09:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : NaDRODArchMo 2 (Building a room a day for the month of June)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com