Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Copious Devastation
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Crimson Moon
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 108
IP: Logged

File: Copious Devastation.hold (2.5 MB)
Downloaded 29 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Copious Devastation (0)  
I am working on a 2nd hold, with the goal of being easier and actually thought-out, fun, and interesting puzzles (what I was lacking a lot in CfP).

The 1st level is finished. The 2nd level is mostly done, the 3rd level isn't close to finished, and the 4th level hasn't even been started. However, there is a hub, so feel free to use it to look at each level.

Features: 3 new elements, simple puzzles with some secrets hidden.

Known bug: Stick still displays as sword. (This shouldn't make the 2 rooms that use the stick extra difficult).

[Last edited by Crimson Moon at 09-05-2022 05:11 PM]
11-02-2017 at 10:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Crimson Moon
icon Re: Copious Devastation (0)  
Am officially working on this hold again because I want to finish this and its already 10 times better than CfP. Rewatching Chaco's playthrough of CfP, I was disappointed with myself, and I don't want to make the same mistakes I did in CfP, so I'll be opening this in architecture so its more open for people to give feedback.

I definitely want to avoid a few things:

1. Magic Sequence Rooms.
2. Huge difficulty spikes.
3. Unpolished Dialogue and design.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
03-11-2019 at 02:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
KituU
Rank Points: 218
Hi
got stuck in first chapter 2N 2E , near the beginning.
it happens i do not really understand how the Faer works.

with a linear progression, there is not another room to do that may give me more clues about this new element

05-29-2019 at 01:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4576
icon Re: Copious Devastation (+1)  
The element's behaviour seems pretty clear. As first priority it moves directly away from an adjacent monster if there is one; otherwise it moves roachlike towards Beethro.

As for 2N2E:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Nuntar at 05-29-2019 09:57 PM]
05-29-2019 at 09:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
KituU

File: Copious Devastation- First level KituU.demo (5.5 KB)
Downloaded 25 times.
Thanks Nuntar

So, did finish first level
Demos and some thoughts

06-08-2019 at 12:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
KituU

File: Copious Devastation- KituU.demo (9.1 KB)
Downloaded 25 times.
Level 2:

Fascinating !
awesome puzzles, this new element Corpse clock is great!
Waking up evil eyes and then falling them asleep again, so creative puzzle element.
very much enjoyed

Level 3:
Devourer: very interesting element
When going back to solved room, previously killed devourers all still present?

demos

[Last edited by KituU at 06-11-2019 09:10 PM]
06-08-2019 at 06:14 PM
Crimson Moon
Hey KitruU,

Thanks for trying out the puzzles!

Level 1 is a weird level full of puzzles I both like and dislike. I've already changed 2N2E to a much better puzzle that should be easier to understand and funner overall. I'm glad you liked 1N1E as much as I did! 3N5E seems to be the correct solution.

I have gotten a lot of comments about faer's being unclear right away, so I'll probably try to figure out how to make it clear. Want to avoid using scrolls if possible, so I can probably just have the main character point out what they do.

Level 2 I feel is probably the best designed level thus far. Don't really have a puzzle I personally dislike. Not a huge fan of 2N1E, but its surprisingly tough thinking of corpse clock puzzles.

Level 3 you broke 1N as an unintended solution. Need to definitely fix that. If possible, can you try out 2W? I had a lot of fun designing that puzzle and I'm curious to see someone try it. And oops, forgot to keep devovourers from respawning.
08-13-2019 at 02:53 AM
KituU

File: CD Chapter 3 - Aintzira Nightmares 2W Victory.demo (2 KB)
Downloaded 21 times.
Hi,
didn't see 2W, pretty well hidden. Demo

(I did like level 2 2N1E )
08-13-2019 at 08:46 PM
Crimson Moon
I have finished my second hold. I will submit it soon assuming nobody finds any issues with it, including me. The balance and puzzles should be good. If you have any challenge ideas or want to add a secret room because you really like one of the elements, feel free to let me know. Otherwise, I will probably submit this hold as is.
08-23-2022 at 01:56 AM
Spleen
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 24

File: Spleen Copious Devastation.demo (14.2 KB)
Downloaded 23 times.
icon Re: Copious Devastation (+3)  
Hi, I played thru the hold - here are my demos.

- I especially liked C1:3N4E and C1:4N.
- I can't seem to get a grip on C2:2E at all!
- Scroll in C3:1W says "your" but should be "you're"
- I don't know if I got the intended solution for a couple of puzzles, could you please check my demos for C1:3N5E, C2:1E, C3:1N1W, C3:2E (especially broken)
- Are you going to bring these custom elements together at all? A Devourer chasing a Faer seems like a natural outcome.
- The blue door on C3 never opened for me though I cleared the level, I think it might be because you have C3:1N2E as a required room?

Overall, I liked the hold!
08-25-2022 at 10:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Crimson Moon
Spleen wrote:
Hi, I played thru the hold - here are my demos.

- I especially liked C1:3N4E and C1:4N.
- I can't seem to get a grip on C2:2E at all!
- Scroll in C3:1W says "your" but should be "you're"
- I don't know if I got the intended solution for a couple of puzzles, could you please check my demos for C1:3N5E, C2:1E, C3:1N1W, C3:2E (especially broken)
- Are you going to bring these custom elements together at all? A Devourer chasing a Faer seems like a natural outcome.
- The blue door on C3 never opened for me though I cleared the level, I think it might be because you have C3:1N2E as a required room?

Overall, I liked the hold!

Fixed the typo and changed the final room to not be required! Attaching an updated version of the hold.

Also fixed the really broken unintended solution. C3:2E is expected to require you keeping all the brains alive. Its a really fun puzzle when its not broken! Recommend trying the room again. Changed it so the mirror+brains cant be placed on the pressure plate. Also fixed the pressure plate stuff.

C3 1N1E is intended. The other 2 technically aren't. C1's has a solution that doesn't require movement order. I'll be verifying it with the intended solution. Not sure how to avoid movement order just by its nature. I'll probably just leave it as is. C2's is intended, but only for 1 eye, with the north most eye facing SW since you can corner jump it. Changed the room so only 1 eye can do that since I want every eye to be handled differently.

C2:2E has a really tricky lynchpin. I will leave a hint incase you want to try and resolve it:

I tried thinking of puzzles with a mix of the new elements, but there wasn't any unique ideas I could think of that really incorperates them. They were all kinda designed to be their own standalone elements anyway, so thats why I decided instead of trying to forcefully make puzzles with them to just showcase them all as is.

Glad to hear you liked the hold! Going to edit the intro text for each level probably.

[Last edited by Crimson Moon at 08-26-2022 05:21 AM]
08-26-2022 at 12:13 AM
Crimson Moon
Updated the last post's attachment. Added better entry dialogue, added post mastery notes, and added 1 more puzzle to Chapter 2 that should be a good fit!

I am very comfortable with this version of this hold, but I will appreciate any other feedback.
08-26-2022 at 05:22 AM
Crimson Moon
Fixed an unintended solution for C3:1N and another major way to break C3:2E.

Also changed C1:1N to a slightly different puzzle since it was basically the same as a different puzzle.

[Last edited by Crimson Moon at 08-26-2022 06:51 PM]
08-26-2022 at 06:19 PM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2379
icon Re: Copious Devastation (+2)  
You might consider removing old .hold versions from this thread so people don't accidentally download the wrong version.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
08-26-2022 at 11:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Spleen
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 24

File: CD Chapter 3 - Aintzira Nightmares 2E Victory.demo (6 KB)
Downloaded 21 times.
Okay, the fixes all seem good! One thing, though, am I meant to be able to just stash the brains like this?
08-27-2022 at 12:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Crimson Moon
icon Re: Copious Devastation (+1)  
disoriented wrote:
You might consider removing old .hold versions from this thread so people don't accidentally download the wrong version.

Thanks for the advice. I updated the original post to use the latest version and removed all the old versions.

Spleen wrote:
Okay, the fixes all seem good! One thing, though, am I meant to be able to just stash the brains like this?

Im surprised that I never realized that was possible! Took a moment to think about whether I want to allow it, but I think its a little *too* straightforward for a final room if I allow it. Added a single wall to quickly fix it and updated the original post.

Edit: I haven't updated the original post with this, but I also just realized C2 didn't have a blue door for some reason. It will be added in the next time I upload the hold.

[Last edited by Crimson Moon at 08-27-2022 04:52 PM]
08-27-2022 at 04:44 PM
Crimson Moon

File: Crimson Copious Devastation.demo (12 KB)
Downloaded 21 times.
Since no other major issues have popped up and everything seems to be good from what I've been able to find, I'm going to go ahead and submit the hold.
09-05-2022 at 05:08 PM
bbb
Rank Points: 215

File: CD Chapter 1 - Verwstung Ruins 2N2E Victory.demo (2.1 KB)
Downloaded 21 times.
Interesting. I think L1 2N2E is broken.
09-06-2022 at 04:45 PM
Crimson Moon
bbb wrote:
Interesting. I think L1 2N2E is broken.

That was an interesting way of clearing the room! Honestly, its out of the box enough where I would just leave it as a possible solution, even if unintended.
09-07-2022 at 07:11 PM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
rough spellcheck

Chapter 1 entrance text: "should of" -> "should have"
C1: Entrance: scroll: "must of" -> "must have"
C1: 2N2E speech: "make more since that" -> "make more sense that"; "whimps" -> "wimps"; "what could of been bad enough" -> "what could have been bad enough"; "whats left of one" -> "what's left of one"
C2: Entrance: scroll: "Devoloper" -> "Developer"
C3: 1N2E scroll: "puzzles I could of made and a lot more ideas I could of added." -> "puzzles I could have made and a lot more ideas I could have added.

10-08-2022 at 12:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Copious Devastation
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com