Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Klatzl's palace (Diverse)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

6.5/10 (6 votes)
σ 0.96
Author Name:DyingFlutchman
Submitted By:Dying Flutchman
Hold Name:Klatzl's palace
Theme:Diverse
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:8
Number of Rooms:90
Number of Monsters:2336
Version:DROD: The Second Sky (5.0.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:1 (+1 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Klatzls palace.hold (139.5 KB)
Downloaded 285 times.
License: Other
icon Klatzl's palace  
Relatively simple puzzles, with harder ones in the secret rooms.
Some of the action revolves around getting to the correct room entrances before solving the puzzles. Bit of scripting to help the story along.
+ additional 'self-renewing' monsters in final level.
Tested (partly) by Chaco and Insoluble, but everything is still my fault.
06-14-2017 at 11:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
disoriented
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2379
icon Re: Klatzl's palace (+1)  
Well there's some good stuff here. Very definitely KDD or JtRH style meandering levels with lots of hack-n-slash. Those palace rooms will require a lot of thought about what order to tackle them. Talented architect, hope to see more from him/her.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
06-18-2017 at 07:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1638
icon Re: Klatzl's palace (+1)  
Agreed with the above review, there's definitely some good stuff in here. Klatzl's Palace had a lot of interesting ideas in it and a good amount of variety. The focus was definitely more on hordes and monster slaying, but there were definitely some linchpin rooms mixed in too. In that respect this feels very reminiscent of something from the JtRH era. Adding to that feel is the fact that no post TCB elements were used, and even the TCB ones were only used sparingly.

The hold is a bit rough around the edges at times. The final level has a lot of unnecessary conquer tokens that trivialize high scores for what would otherwise be interesting to optimize rooms and there are a couple of instances of force arrows on room entrances. There are also a few rooms in here that felt like a bit of a slog, with move counts in the thousands or high triple digits. Most of those were relegated to an optional level though, so are easily skipped.

On the plus side there are some really interesting design ideas in here. The first level has a neat geometric feel to it with boxes made out of different door kinds, each one unlocking the next. It felt very fresh and different. Another level has rooms that can each be approached at least two different ways depending on which entrance you use. The final level forces you to come up with ways to kill monsters without using your sword. Lots of neat ideas mixed in here and the level designs felt really fresh and different.

All in all I'd say this one is worth checking out as long as you're okay with a hold focused more on hordes and monster slaying. Don't look here for a modern feeling hold with a lot of linchpin based puzzles, but if you are in the mood for a bit of a throwback to the JtRH era, this hold is pretty interesting.

08-02-2017 at 03:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Klatzl's palace (Diverse) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com