Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Halph's Secret
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
eatmorepies
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 26
IP: Logged

File: Halphs Secret.hold (4.8 KB)
Downloaded 51 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Halph's Secret (+5)  
Here is my first published hold. In this hold, Beethro Budkin must confront the most arduous task he has ever had to take...cleaning Halph's dungeon.

[Last edited by eatmorepies at 12-28-2017 03:37 AM]
03-01-2017 at 02:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dischorran
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3408
icon Re: Halph's Secret (0)  
Welcome back! Here's how the architectural process works. People have been pretty good about giving feedback lately.

03-01-2017 at 02:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638

File: Halphs Secret.demo (14.6 KB)
Downloaded 49 times.
icon Re: Halph's Secret (+1)  
Welcome to the architecture board. It's great to see more new architects making holds! As Dischorran mentioned, this is the place to let other DROD folks take a look at your hold and make helpful suggestions for how to polish it up for eventual publication.

Here are some suggestions that I'd recommend to get you started.

1) Mark the hold as "anyone edit" while it is on the architecture board so that people can test it more easily. You can change it back before it gets published.

2) Place at least one or two checkpoints in any room with either a monster or a room exit. If you need help deciding where to place them I'm happy to offer suggestions.

3) Download the demo's attached to this post if you'd like to see how I solved your rooms. You can watch these after downloading them by pressing F6 in a room then clicking the "Import" button at the bottom. I can provide commentary too if you'd like.

In general I thought this hold have a very nice atmosphere. The difficulty is pretty low compared to a lot of recently released holds, but that's not a bad thing. It's similar in difficulty to Avos' Dungeon released last year and a lot of people liked that one.

[Last edited by Insoluble at 03-01-2017 02:52 AM]
03-01-2017 at 02:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Matt2k
Good start! Needs to be a bit longer. :D
03-01-2017 at 02:48 AM
eatmorepies
Insoluble wrote:
Welcome to the architecture board. It's great to see more new architects making holds! As Dischorran mentioned, this is the place to let other DROD folks take a look at your hold and make helpful suggestions for how to polish it up for eventual publication.

Here are some suggestions that I'd recommend to get you started.

1) Mark the hold as "anyone edit" while it is on the architecture board so that people can test it more easily. You can change it back before it gets published.

2) Place at least one or two checkpoints in any room with either a monster or a room exit. If you need help deciding where to place them I'm happy to offer suggestions.

3) Download the demo's attached to this post if you'd like to see how I solved your rooms. You can watch these after downloading them by pressing F6 in a room then clicking the "Import" button at the bottom. I can provide commentary too if you'd like.

In general I thought this hold have a very nice atmosphere. The difficulty is pretty low compared to a lot of recently released holds, but that's not a bad thing. It's similar in difficulty to Avos' Dungeon released last year and a lot of people liked that one.

How do I run your demo file?
03-01-2017 at 10:39 PM
eatmorepies
I made an update to the hold. It fixes a bug in which the goblin could be killed prematurely in Second Level: Once West.
03-01-2017 at 10:44 PM
Insoluble
If you click on the link, depending on your browser you'll either download it directly to some folder or you'll be given the option to open it directly with DROD (the later option is easier). ONce you've done this:

1) Open up the hold in DROD and go to any room you'd like to see the demo for. This works either in the editor or while playing.

2) type the F6 button on your keyboard to open up the demo menu.

3) If you don't see the demo there on the screen already, click the "Import" button at the bottom of the screen then select the path to the folder to which you downloaded the file. The demo file should appear.

4) Once you've successfully imported the demo, you should be able to view demos for all rooms.

03-01-2017 at 10:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3408
eatmorepies wrote:
I made an update to the hold. It fixes a bug in which the goblin could be killed prematurely in Second Level: Once West.
I can still chase the goblin into the orthosquares, kill it, and step off the arrow to the south.

You might try playing some user-made holds to get a feel for how people approach level design.

03-01-2017 at 11:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
Dischorran wrote: You might try playing some user-made holds to get a feel for how people approach level design.

This is definitely good advice. I'll add to that and say that Avos' Dungeon is a good one to try out in that it is going for a similar difficulty level to what you have here so far. It may give you some ideas as to how you could add more rooms to what you've posted and polish the ones you currently have (don't forget to add checkpints!)

In addition to that, you may want to read through some of the architecture threads giving advice for building holds linked to here.

Hold Design tips See in particular #4

Construction Methods This one is a long read, but has a good discussion of some different ways to make various types of puzzle rooms.

03-01-2017 at 11:37 PM
eatmorepies

File: Halphs Secret.hold (2.9 KB)
Downloaded 51 times.
icon Re: Halph's Secret (+2)  
Hello. I made an update to this hold. It fixed the issue in Second Level: Once West, and adds a checkpoint in Second Level: Twice West.

The new file has been attached to this post.
05-19-2017 at 01:39 AM
azb
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 460
In Second Level, 2W, I don't need the goblin to do any work for me, as I just slay it and use the golem to form a stepping stone. Is this intended, or did you want the player to use the goblin somehow?

Other than that, the hack n' slash rooms are very easy but still enjoyable to unleash your fury on roaches and rock golems, and the few puzzle rooms are pretty decent, too, if not easy.

Remember, before publishing a hold, you should look for unintended solutions and make sure the player does what you wanted them to do (in room 1W, for instance, manipulate the goblin through the maze instead of simply slashing him early or midway).

08-12-2017 at 11:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eatmorepies
I created an update to Halph's Secret!

The new file has been attached to my original post.
12-28-2017 at 03:36 AM
Resert On
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 37

File: Halphs Secret ROD.demo (4.8 KB)
Downloaded 41 times.
In Second Level: 2W, I just slay the goblin and use the golem as a stepping stone. Is this intended?

In Second Level: 1W, instead chasing goblin through maze, I just slay it in ortho square.

I have attached the demo. This demo is for the hold in first post.

Sorry for my bad english.

01-02-2018 at 07:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Halph's Secret
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com