Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Alphabet Stream and other streams (a thing I'm gonna try and do)
Page 3 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1531
IP: Logged
icon Re: Alphabet Stream and other streams (0)  
Alright, well, my "testing" today indicates that in theory I could expect to be able to stream at about 4:30 PM central, which would be an hour and a half earlier. Maybe even 4:00 if I'm lucky! But is midnight or half-past midnight really much better for EDT people? I'm going to proceed with doing it at 6 today, just because I needed the time to do setup and stuff, and then just run it like a let's play if nobody shows up. Next week perhaps I'll give the earlier time a try to at least see if I can manage it.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 01-14-2020 10:25 PM]
01-14-2020 at 10:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Change of plans (as usual, I guess)! I'll be able to do an alphabet stream tomorrow, so I will; then I probably won't be able to do it next week. First post reflects this.

01-17-2020 at 12:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
icon Re: Alphabet Stream and other streams (+2)  
disoriented pointed out that I forgot to make permanent twitch's recordings of alphabet stream 111 and 112 by "highlighting" them. So, since they removed the simple upload feature for no good reason, I'm going to have to re-stream those recordings today to get them back up on the website. If you notice me streaming today, just ignore it; that's me doing that thing.

01-18-2020 at 04:57 PM
Xindaris
So, I went ahead and tried to stream today, and around 10-15 minutes in I noticed the signal from the mic was constant and loud. Long story short, I think the old thing is finally busted. It outputs a constant hum no matter where I plug it in and it barely picks up actual audio. Fortunately, I was not really planning to do another stream this week, but in general I can't stream again until I buy a new mic :?

As far as today's stream goes, I just called it a wash, and I'll pick up from where I was at the start of it next time.

So..Things are potentially on hold until I do that. It may be a question of finding one I like in a store, or of how long it takes to ship. I'll post an update when I have one.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 01-21-2020 10:41 PM]
01-21-2020 at 10:40 PM
Xindaris
After more digging than I ever thought would be necessary, I found what appears to be the same kind of mic I had before (after all, it worked for years before dying on me) at a good price. It's in processing and shipping now, so I'll have to put all kinds of streams on hold until it arrives. It's supposed to get here by Jan 3, and if it does and it works, then I'll get to stream both that following Tuesday and Friday.

01-24-2020 at 06:20 PM
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
It's expected to arrive three weeks in the past?
01-24-2020 at 10:14 PM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2384
Dragon Fogel wrote:
It's expected to arrive three weeks in the past?

Must be Amazon Ultra Mega Prime shipping then.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
01-25-2020 at 12:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
February 3. Derp

01-25-2020 at 05:32 PM
Xindaris
New mic is "out for delivery". If it arrives today to where I can pick it up, then I'll stream this afternoon starting sometime between 4 and 4:30 PM central. If not...it should still arrive in time to stream this Friday at least?

[Last edited by Xindaris at 02-04-2020 03:27 PM]
02-04-2020 at 03:26 PM
Xindaris
icon Re: Alphabet Stream and other streams (+1)  
Mic arrived and tested fine. So I'll be streaming in ~10 minutes!

02-04-2020 at 09:48 PM
Xindaris
I forgot to update the first post, but I'll be streaming today (alphabet stream that is) in around 10 minutes or so. I'll try to remember to fix the OP afterward.

02-07-2020 at 07:46 PM
Xindaris
Just a heads-up: My schedule this Friday has changed, and the alphabet stream could be slightly late to start as a result. There still shouldn't be any problem actually doing it, though.

03-05-2020 at 06:03 AM
Xindaris
Announce:
I mentioned during Friday's stream that I'm heading home for a week starting this Friday, so I won't have Alphabet stream for the next couple of Fridays--not until the 27th, in fact.
I initially thought I would make this Tuesday's 7th dragon stream, then miss the next one for the same reason, but something separate has come up this Tuesday as well. I suppose if it felt like a bigger deal I might move that to Thursday this week around the same time; the time seems more or less available if I pack either before or after. On the other hand, tomorrow morning (central time, so like Local Time:03-09-2020 at 03:00 PM) is technically an option too, but it feels like a bit late notice. I don't think too many people were waiting for that one anyway.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 03-08-2020 11:00 PM]
03-08-2020 at 10:57 PM
Xindaris
New announce:
As a very indirect side-effect of the General World Situation right now, I've wound up taking my "big computer" I use for streaming home with me, and furthermore will be home for longer. So...I plan to stream next week on the usual days. Friday's alphabet stream will probably be at the usual time (well, adjusted a bit relative to some because daylight savings), but Tuesday I think I'll move the 7th dragon stream to start a few hours earlier for both reasons of my own as well as to hopefully make it easier for the...approximately one person interested in that.

So...I don't completely know for sure yet, but I've put the tentative schedule for the coming week up on the first post.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 03-13-2020 10:49 PM]
03-13-2020 at 10:49 PM
Xindaris
Okay, removed question marks from today's stream time. Should be no trouble doing it.

03-17-2020 at 02:57 PM
Xindaris
Notice:
I got an email today that I have to do a thing for work at 3, so I'm moving AS to tomorrow at 2 (the time marked in the first post) instead.

03-27-2020 at 04:01 PM
Xindaris
As I'm starting to work from home next week, my schedule is pretty similar to what it was before, so I've got to move the 7th dragon stream somewhere else. I'm thinking Wednesday morning, at the time marked on the first post now--the reason being I have no time earlier than 3:30 or so on Monday-Thursday open and 3:30 is almost as bad as the previous 4 PM, which I never much liked, BUT mornings are freer than they were before.

This doesn't have any effect on my ability to stream on Friday, but I'd kind of like to move AS to Saturday again for a while just to space it out from the other stream. I'll ask for thoughts during today's stream, maybe.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 03-28-2020 04:57 PM]
03-28-2020 at 04:56 PM
Pekka
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 302
icon Re: Alphabet Stream and other streams (+2)  
Here's a little clip: meeting Joe the Stalwart, from Alphabet Stream 122 while playing the School of the Slayerly.

https://clips.twitch.tv/GleamingFunnyGuanacoBuddhaBar
04-19-2020 at 11:14 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Lunch is unexpectedly late today, so I may start the stream a little late as a result. Keep an eye on chat, I'll announce it.

04-25-2020 at 07:06 PM
Xindaris
I mentioned this during last Saturday's stream, and have edited the OP accordingly, but I meant to put an actual post saying it: I have work tomorrow when I would've normally streamed, so the 7th dragon stream for this week was moved to today, in about half an hour from now.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 04-28-2020 03:31 PM]
04-28-2020 at 03:30 PM
Pekka
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 302
It looks to me like you swapped the stream days by accident in the first post. Please check that it says what it should about upcoming streams :)
05-05-2020 at 12:49 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Derp. Thanks for letting me know; it should be fixed now.

05-05-2020 at 03:47 PM
Xindaris
General update about streams:
Some component (unsure which) of my desktop broke Saturday night, not too long after that day's stream. It could take a week or two to get the right part shipped, depending on how accurate my guess is. In the meantime my options were to not stream, or to see whether the laptop I'm typing with right now can handle it.

My test stream indicates that it can handle streaming from PPSSPP (the PSP emulator) pretty well, which also bodes well for the kind of games I might want to stream for metroidvania mania if I start that up after finishing 7th dragon 2020.
Tech-wise, DROD should also obviously work, but it will be trickier because there's no way to resize the stupid DROD window. My tentative plan is to hook the laptop into the desktop's giant monitor with an HDMI, which is going to be really awkward with the desk setup but should be workable? Or if anyone knows a hacky way to reduce the size of windowed DROD I'd gladly accept that, too.

06-08-2020 at 07:17 PM
Xindaris
General update update: I'm still waiting on parts to try to fix my desktop, so I'm not planning to stream tomorrow. Hopefully it'll be back together before next week so I can start metroidvania mania back up a week from tomorrow. Either way, I should be able to stream DROD this Saturday--but hopefully the desktop will be fixed by then so it won't be as awkward as last time.

This is also reflected in the first post.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 06-16-2020 04:13 PM]
06-16-2020 at 04:13 PM
Xindaris
Well, this was bound to happen at some point. I completely and totally forgot to do any streaming at all yesterday. I was in a kind of half-asleep haze from staying up too late the night before, and just plain didn't think about it at all.

We'll try again next week. Sorry, anyone who was interested.

06-21-2020 at 02:18 PM
Xindaris
Alright, the desktop was physically put back together today. I'm going to need tomorrow morning to get its drivers and software functional again, so I'm slating the next Wednesday stream for a week from tomorrow, July 1. I'm pretty sure there shouldn't be anything to prevent that.

Alphabet stream should definitely be possible back on the rebuilt desktop this Saturday, also, so no change on the schedule there.

06-24-2020 at 02:25 AM
Xindaris
So uh...

Today marks the second week in a row that about nobody has come to either stream. I'm used to (sometimes) nobody coming to watch the metroidvania stream, and just having my own fun there anyway, but it's a little unusual for there to be nobody at all at the alphabet stream.

I don't mean to complain. It's perfectly understandable if people are busy, or have something else that they'd rather be doing, honestly. But I have a hard time justifying to myself doing the whole process of streaming when absolutely nobody is coming, and I just want to figure out what I should do about it.

Is Saturday a bad time? Is nobody interested at all anymore? Or is everyone who might be interested just too busy? In terms of actions I can take, I'm basically just wondering whether I should try to find a time to do the streams that someone who's interested would/could watch, or if I should just take a break for a while until everyone's not so busy. I'd appreciate a response of some kind here, even if it's just "I never want to watch your streams again".

07-18-2020 at 09:33 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
Hi there,

I can't speak for everybody else, but I'm still interested - I've just had housework to do over the past couple Saturdays so couldn't attend the Alphabet Streams. I've been trying to cut back on my video watching in general so haven't really seen this as a "I should attend this every week" type of stream.

I think your streams are really worthwhile (both of them), but if you want a more consistent number of viewers or outreach you might want to advertise in more different places - as nice, close-knit and loyal as the DROD community is, there's no denying it's a small one, and you didn't exactly have a lot of viewers even at peak hours.

Besides, the number of viewers is slightly random anyway so it's not really a surprise that there might be one or two streams in a row where you get less than usual... less than usual just means "zero" in your case.

So, hang in there. We still have faith in you. (We also still have faith that you'll Learn To Serpent one of these days. :) )

07-18-2020 at 11:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
At the moment, I'm planning to be packing this coming Saturday (the 15th), so I've put the next Alphabet stream to the 22nd for the moment. I'll make a post to notify if that changes.

As for the metroidvania streams, well...I'm doing one this Wednesday, but after that it may be up the air. My schedule's going to wildly change starting next week, and I'm not completely sure there will be any of Tuesday, Thursday, or Wednesday morning that I can fit a stream into. Since nobody much is even watching the metroidvania stream, maybe I'll push it to late afternoon Wednesdays or something. I'll post when I know more, I guess.

08-11-2020 at 12:55 AM
Xindaris
Ugh, I meant to post this earlier this week.

I forgot that this week is SGDQ, and I kind of want to watch what's playing at what would usually be stream time tomorrow. It should be fairly obvious to anyone who cares that I didn't stream this Wednesday either, for similar reasons. So: I can either do a supplementary Alphabet stream this coming Sunday at the usual time (so, Local Time:08-23-2020 at 08:00 PM) if there is significant interest and no conflicts with other streams people are interested in, or just wait and resume streams a week from tomorrow (which is what the first post shows at the moment).

08-21-2020 at 10:49 PM
Page 3 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Alphabet Stream and other streams (a thing I'm gonna try and do)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com