Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Alphabet Stream and other streams (a thing I'm gonna try and do)
Page 1 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1527
IP: Logged
icon Alphabet Stream and other streams (+4)  
Alphabet Stream Collection I: 1-96
Alphabet Stream Collection II: 97-143
Alphabet Stream Collection III: 144-165

Next Metroidvania Mania Stream: Hiatus for now... Local Time:08-26-2020 at 04:00 PM

Previous Alphabet Streams:
Click here to view the secret text

Previous Other Streams:

Original form of post:

It seems like ever since getting the good ending of TSS, and really for a while before that, I've had an awful habit of doing a lot more building levels and barely any actually playing DROD--especially if replaying my own stuff doesn't count as the latter. I aim to rectify that for a few reasons, including that I'd like to have a better feel for what actually is fun in a room and maybe pick up some more ideas for my own stuff for architecture purposes; to have a meaningful amount of experience to draw on when I'm helping vote for contests; to just get better at the game in general; to have fun...

So anyway, I've decided on a somewhat hazardous plan: I'm going to try the holds available on Caravelnet in alphabetical order, and I'm gonna try and stream it on twitch for anyone who wants to watch. Alphabetical order is an easy, arbitrary way to order things and I'm streaming it partially to hold myself to it and partially because I sort of want to learn to talk with my voice to the internet through videos for various reasons. I've got a few rules I'm going to follow: Basically I don't have to get all the way through any hold, I just play until I want to stop. And of course I don't intend to replay the official holds I've already played, nor any of my own published holds if I ever reach one of those. I also don't guarantee I won't play things at times other than this streaming thing, but I think those'll be holds I pick out to play rather than this "running down the list in order" business.

Time is a pretty precious premium for me at the moment so I'm gonna say "about/at least an hour, on each Saturday". Tomorrow I'm going to aim for Local Time:01-21-2017 at 09:00 PM at this humble channel bearing my username. I'm pretty sure I've got OBS set up where it'll stream the thing for me, so that should be just fine.

Here are some links to Things!

[Last edited by Xindaris at 05-01-2021 05:24 PM]
01-21-2017 at 04:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
icon Re: Alphabet Stream (0)  
And we're already off to a slightly rough start. I'm pushing it forward an hour today because I woke up really late and I want to be sure I have time to eat a late lunch before starting the thing.

01-21-2017 at 04:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
Neat! I'm super bummed that I missed this, but will try to watch next week. Are you planning to record these for folks to be able to watch later or just stream?

01-22-2017 at 01:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
I'm recording them; OBS makes it fairly easy to do so. I uploaded today's stream to twitch hours ago but it's still "processing". I guess that's normal for a ~2 hours video? If I can't get the recordings to go up on twitch I'll see if I can get them on youtube or something.

EDIT: It finished processing, and it's listed here.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 01-22-2017 02:46 AM]
01-22-2017 at 02:12 AM
Xindaris
Announcing here so everyone knows my intention to do this again tomorrow at Local Time:01-28-2017 at 08:00 PM. I didn't have completely terrible sleep the last couple of nights so hopefully no delays like last time.

01-27-2017 at 05:46 PM
Xindaris
Today's stream is the same time as last week's. I've also added an "archive" of holds played and links to the uploaded previous streams to the first post (which will also generally try to indicate when the next stream is intended to be).

02-04-2017 at 07:12 PM
Xindaris
Tomorrow's stream is scheduled for the same time but may start slightly late because of setting up the voting thread for the custom element contest. We'll see.

02-11-2017 at 04:07 AM
GerAvos
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 51
Aaaay! :D Hope you will ever get to my hold. I'd love to see that, even if i'm only watching a recording. Man I'm so selfish. Hope you'll continue to have fun.

[Last edited by GerAvos at 02-13-2017 08:08 PM]
02-13-2017 at 08:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
I actually played through Avos' dungeon when it was new or possibly even when it was still in architecture, I'm not sure. I can go on and run through it on stream if you like, but it wouldn't be any more blind than my poor memory is able to make it. I can talk about some stuff about it anyway.

02-13-2017 at 09:13 PM
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
As a potential alternative you could always try this out:
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=41386

Or possibly this:
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=41335

both are still in architecture, but that may just provide GerAvos with the motivation to continue working on them :)

Downside is that they don't fit in alphabetically though I guess.

02-13-2017 at 10:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
GerAvos
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 51
Oh in that case, don't feel obligated to play it again if you don't like to. I'll be fine.

(My other projects probably will take a long time before they are finished)
02-14-2017 at 10:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Needed to sort things out to be sure since I'm in a different location this weekend, but I do intend on streaming at the usual time tomorrow...barring any unforeseen issues with the streaming computer after travel.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 03-11-2017 02:44 AM]
03-11-2017 at 02:43 AM
Xindaris
icon Re: Alphabet Stream and other streams (0)  
So, a week or two ago I brought up the idea of maybe showing off some other games I like for a bit in a stream other than the alphabet stream, and there was a not entirely negative response to the concept. I'm going to make an official plan of it and see what happens. I still intend to carry on the Alphabet Stream as normal at the normal time, so if you're only interested in that there is nothing to worry about. If, however, you are interested in seeing me play a mysterious other game, I intend to give it a shot this Friday at Local Time:03-25-2017 at 12:00 AM.

To reflect this decision I've changed the thread title slightly and will be formatting the OP to include when the next of things are planned to occur and an archive of both "kinds" of stream.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 03-22-2017 03:47 PM]
03-22-2017 at 03:47 PM
Xindaris
Ok, I am intending on doing another Other Stream this Friday, earlier in the day since it seemed like a lot of people had timezones that placed the previous one around midnight for them. It's going to probably start at Local Time:03-31-2017 at 08:30 PM plus or minus a half hour, depending on when a certain meeting I have that day concludes and other type things.

Also populating the first post is a link to a straw poll where you can decide whether I play one of the previous Other Stream games or do a new one the next time I do an Other Stream. At the moment everyone who's voted wants something new, so that's what I'm planning on.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 03-29-2017 08:02 PM]
03-29-2017 at 08:00 PM
Xindaris
Announcement: I forgot to update the post with the information that Alphabet Stream 11 will happen this Saturday up until now, as well as the archival information for AS 10.

Also, the "Other Stream Pick the Game Poll" in the top post has only gotten one response so far. If you're at all interested in helping make that decision and you're not said one response, please get your votes in. I don't think I'm doing it this week but maybe next week.

04-07-2017 at 02:18 AM
Xindaris
Alphabet Stream 11 information added; next Other Stream scheduled for this Friday. Looks like it'll be another surprise based on the existing votes.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 04-13-2017 03:25 AM]
04-13-2017 at 03:25 AM
Xindaris
Quick notice that a free lunch is happening at the time I would normally start Alphabet Stream, so I'm pushing it forward (I mean, postponing, thanks hyperme) 1 hour to take advantage of said free lunch.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 04-22-2017 06:03 PM]
04-22-2017 at 02:59 PM
Xindaris
ANNOUNCEMENT

I've been very slack in both uploading archive videos to twitch and updating the archive of videos here. Both of those things are now caught up, hooray!

07-19-2017 at 07:38 PM
Xindaris
Heyy, so, if anyone has any interest at all in seeing me try to beat Proud Mode (the hard difficulty) on Kingdom Hearts II, I've started today doing a sporadic stream where I do that. I'm mostly just going to be quiet if nobody's watching (which is likely). There's probably going to be some pain. I'm through for tonight but it might happen again tomorrow.

If you've never played KH2 and you're not familiar with the plot, it's really not very important. I'm just going to make fun of the cutscenes anyway.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 07-21-2017 03:41 AM]
07-21-2017 at 03:40 AM
Xindaris
It's been a while since I've posted in this thread, but I can't think of any better place to announce plans. This Saturday I have a social event to go to, so I intend to just "make up" the AS tomorrow (Friday) at the same time instead. There's no reason why I can't do that at the moment, and I prefer it to skipping the week.

07-26-2018 at 10:17 PM
Xindaris
Announce:
Today's lunch has been pushed pretty late. Usually 2 PM my time, the usual AS time, is late enough to be after lunch, but I think there's a chance it won't be late enough today. So today's AS should still happen, but may start up to an hour late.

08-04-2018 at 04:12 PM
Xindaris
Announce:
Due to a combination of the apartment's ethernet not working and my wireless adapter mysteriously disappearing, the big computer I stream on has no internet right now. Someone is coming to fix the problem tomorrow afternoon, which means that I most likely won't do the metroidvania stream tomorrow. I might see whether I have time to do it Tuesday instead, IF things get fixed. I'll update this post on whether this will affect Saturday's alphabet stream (but fingers crossed it won't).

08-19-2018 at 10:11 PM
Xindaris
Further Announce:
I meant to post this a little earlier. I'm planning to try and do my metroidvania streaming on Wednesday morning (for me), 10 AM - 12 PM; in local time that is Local Time:08-29-2018 at 04:00 PM to Local Time:08-29-2018 at 06:00 PM (ignore the date for future reference, the time is the important part).

And in case it wasn't clear enough, that internet trouble from my last post was fixed in time to do AS.

EDIT: I also almost forgot! No AS this week, I'm going home for Labor Day weekend.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 08-29-2018 03:07 PM]
08-29-2018 at 05:23 AM
Xindaris
I had intended to stream this Saturday (the 22nd) but my family is now planning to 'do Christmas' then, so I won't be able to. Probably still going to do an alphabet stream on the 29th, though.

12-20-2018 at 08:44 PM
Xindaris
icon Re: Alphabet Stream and other streams (+1)  
BEFORE I FORGET:
I'll be going home this weekend for MLK day, so the next alphabet stream will be on the 26th of January (goes the plan).
Also, I've moved metroidvania streams to Thursday 10 AM-12 PM CST to fit my new schedule a bit better. Nobody was there yesterday, so maybe this announcement will bring someone along next week?

01-18-2019 at 04:57 PM
Xindaris
:angry
Today's stream MIGHT be canceled on account of laundry problems. I'll post again when I know for sure. Sorry.

02-09-2019 at 04:28 PM
Xindaris
Okay, it's on I think, although I may be interrupted in the middle of it.

Explanation probably nobody cares about: They moved a new (as in different and working, not brand new) washer/dryer into my apartment because the old one was acting weird in a few ways. Like an idiot, I didn't think to test it before today, and it seems they forgot to hook up the water. Which means it can't wash anything. Supposedly it will be fixed ASAP. If they do fix it today, there's a good chance that'll be "in the middle of stream time". But I'll be able to stream while that's not happening, at least.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 02-09-2019 06:04 PM]
02-09-2019 at 06:04 PM
Xindaris
Hey, so.
You know how I keep an archive of all my old streams so that people can watch them if they want to? Well, today twitch sent me an email announcing that they're unceremoniously dropping upload support for people who are not "affiliates" (aka "making tons of money for them") for absolutely no good reason. I don't know if this means the existing archive will disappear, or if I just won't be allowed to add to it, but whatever this case, this situation is absolute garbage.

So: Does anyone know of a video site other than youtube that will accept hours-long video uploads from a new user? Youtube has their own stupid hoops to try to jump through so I'd really rather not (try but probably fail to) use them.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 04-04-2019 12:57 AM]
04-04-2019 at 12:56 AM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Alphabet Stream and other streams (+1)  
Xindaris wrote:
So: Does anyone know of a video site other than youtube that will accept hours-long video uploads from a new user? Youtube has their own stupid hoops to try to jump through so I'd really rather not (try but probably fail to) use them.
Interesting.

I just jumped through the hoops for youtube, and didn't find it that bad. What's the onerous part about youtube for you?

And I am a streaming newbie, so I may be quite ignorant of something you've discovered.

-Erik

04-04-2019 at 01:09 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
The main problem with youtube is that if they decide a person has ever made a copyright offense at any time then they remove the ability to upload long videos for a really long period of time. And they want your phone number and/or other personally identifying info, which I'm inordinately opposed to giving to anything on the internet, to make new accounts.

Admittedly they're problems for me that may not turn out to be problems you ever run into, but it's enough to make me want to upload my archive somewhere else rather than bothering.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 04-04-2019 02:15 AM]
04-04-2019 at 02:14 AM
Page 1 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Alphabet Stream and other streams (a thing I'm gonna try and do)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com