Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : GatEB Steam: No sound for Mac
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
hippy dave
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 16
IP: Logged
icon Re: GatEB Steam: No sound for Mac (+1)  
morbus wrote:
I believe I have a fix for this.
Thanks for the helpful reply! I was all set to try this out, I found I'd uninstalled GatEB in the meantime but the error log was still there with the message you mentioned. So I opened up the Steam client and reinstalled the game, did a test run and now the sound just works! Maybe someone has already fixed it on steam since you posted your fix?
05-17-2019 at 06:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
morbus
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 61
icon Re: GatEB Steam: No sound for Mac (+2)  
hippy dave wrote:
morbus wrote:
Thanks for the helpful reply! I was all set to try this out, I found I'd uninstalled GatEB in the meantime but the error log was still there with the message you mentioned. So I opened up the Steam client and reinstalled the game, did a test run and now the sound just works! Maybe someone has already fixed it on steam since you posted your fix?

Do you happen to use "brew" at all? Or MacPorts?

Know much about the Terminal? Do you have an _existing_ /usr/local/lib/libvorbisfile.dylib?

The above steps was a distillation of me finding that the sound worked, just like you, without any effort on one of my Macs, but not on another of my Macs. Turns out, on the working Mac I had brew installed, and brew had installed libvorbisfile already as part of a package dependency for some other software I needed. So, GatEB ended up using the brew-installed libvorbisfile instead of the GatEB provided libvorbisfile. And et cetera.

[Last edited by morbus at 05-17-2019 06:46 PM]
05-17-2019 at 06:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
hippy dave
Rank Points: 16
morbus wrote:
hippy dave wrote:
morbus wrote:

Do you happen to use "brew" at all? Or MacPorts?

Know much about the Terminal? Do you have an _existing_ /usr/local/lib/libvorbisfile.dylib?

The above steps was a distillation of me finding that the sound worked, just like you, without any effort on one of my Macs, but not on another of my Macs. Turns out, on the working Mac I had brew installed, and brew had installed libvorbisfile already as part of a package dependency for some other software I needed. So, GatEB ended up using the brew-installed libvorbisfile instead of the GatEB provided libvorbisfile. And et cetera.
Ah that makes sense - yes I do use brew, and I've installed some more stuff with it since I last tried the game, so I guess the vorbis library came along with some of that. Thanks for the explanation!
05-17-2019 at 09:23 PM
wharris
Rank Points: 19
morbus wrote:

This worked!! (after adjusting to a non-default Steam file location). Thank you for the debugging!
05-17-2019 at 11:03 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: GatEB Steam: No sound for Mac (0)  
Dear Everybody,

If you're not already aware, morbus is a genius!

So cool to have the root cause of this issue isolated and a workaround available. Thank you, thank you.

Morbus, would you be comfortable posting your workaround on the DROD Steam forums?

Edit: I'm very excited to share your news and have posted a message about it here:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/351320/discussions/0/208684375408714048/

I don't mean to steal your thunder. Go ahead and post more about this wherever you'd like.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 05-18-2019 01:47 AM]
05-18-2019 at 01:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
morbus
icon Re: GatEB Steam: No sound for Mac (+3)  
I added similar comments here:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/314330/discussions/0/1473095331494146200/
https://steamcommunity.com/app/314330/discussions/0/312265473878896611/

For the RPG and TSS, the command would be slightly different due to the Steam install of the game being in a different location. However, there's a good chance that if a user has (RPG or TSS) AND GatEB installed, and they run the fix for GatEB, it'll also magically fix RPG and TSS (it would, in essence, cause RPG and TSS to use the GatEB-supplied version of the libvorbisfile library, which would _probably_ work).

Anyways, probably worth doing specific tests on those versions once I get around to obtaining copies.
05-18-2019 at 03:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wharris
Rank Points: 19
morbus wrote:
However, there's a good chance that if a user has (RPG or TSS) AND GatEB installed, and they run the fix for GatEB, it'll also magically fix RPG and TSS

Confirmed for RPG having owned GatEB
05-18-2019 at 06:27 AM
mrimer
Ah, makes sense.

Thanks for posting!

05-18-2019 at 05:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
wharris wrote:
morbus wrote:
However, there's a good chance that if a user has (RPG or TSS) AND GatEB installed, and they run the fix for GatEB, it'll also magically fix RPG and TSS

Confirmed for RPG having owned GatEB
Thanks for confirming this fix on your installation!

I'm so glad we have a way to address this issue, all thanks to morbus!

05-18-2019 at 05:17 PM
Lamkin
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 606
I'm a bit confused. I just downloaded the Mac version of Gunthro and the Epic Blunder from Steam, but when it launches, it's The Second Sky...though I don't even have The Second Sky installed (yet). And just to note that I'm using OS X 10.11 off of a partition that had no prior DROD installations on it (Steam or non-Steam).

Then I tried the fix by morbus, but the Terminal reports that there is “No such file or directory". And I'm assuming it can't be found because I (apparently) haven't download the Steam version of GatEB. Hmm... I have a Steam key for TSS, so I'll give installing that a try. Maybe they were switched? That vaguely rings a bell.

Edit #1: Did some digging in old posts of mine and found this topic:
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=41513&page=0#409157

Basically, buying GatEB on Steam has you downloading TSS. Mike responded and said that "the correct data should be available now"; seems like it was at that time (as I’m seeing that I’d gotten a few achievements), but I can confirm that it isn’t currently.

Edit #2: Still downloading Steam TSS in hopes of getting GatEB. Will update in a moment...download speeds are currently fluctuating around a blazing 150 KB/s. :fun

Edit #3: Downloaded TSS on Steam and launched it and it is...TSS. Wondering where Steam GatEB is?? To be continued...

[Last edited by Lamkin at 05-19-2019 05:23 AM]
05-18-2019 at 10:13 PM
mrimer
Hmm...I can confirm that morbus did download GatEB on Mac first, and he did receive the correct game.

It's possible you need to reset Steam's local file cache or something like that to get the old TSS data that happens to be tied to your GatEB install to disappear. I'm not an expert in how this all works for Steam, but I'm guessing there's still an old link on your system somewhere if you're still experiencing that issue.

[Last edited by mrimer at 05-19-2019 07:25 AM]
05-19-2019 at 07:24 AM
Lamkin
Okay. I did clear the download cache last night, but I have Steam installed on a few partitions, so I’ll try clearing the file cache on those as well. Thank you for the response, Mike. :)

Edit: Well, I’ve tried a few things, but I’m not having any luck. The good news, as I mentioned below, is that I do have a working Steam GatEB on another partition (runs an older version of OS X so I don’t use it much anymore), but the bad news is that I tried the Terminal solution morbus mentioned without success—which is to say that I still have no sound. (See post below for more details on that.)

[Last edited by Lamkin at 05-19-2019 06:43 PM]
05-19-2019 at 01:39 PM
morbus

File: Screen Shot 2019-05-19 at 9.45.44 AM.png (2.6 MB)
Downloaded 45 times.
License: Public Domain
@Lamkin: Most assuredly, the only game I own, and have been playing, is Gunthro for the Mac, as bought off of Steam. However, of interest, the icon for that game when running DOES say "TSS".

See attached screenshot.
05-19-2019 at 02:48 PM
baksks22
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
:thumbsup
05-19-2019 at 02:49 PM
Lamkin

File: Screen Shot 2019-05-19 at 10.02.40 AM.png (2.6 MB)
Downloaded 50 times.
morbus wrote:
However, of interest, the icon for that game when running DOES say "TSS".

Yes, you're correct that the icon would say TSS if installed correctly...I know GatEB runs through DROD 5.0., and GatEB has the same TSS icon which has a little blue TSS written on it, but for me, Steam is actually downloading TSS. See the topic I linked to in my post above. (I'd post a screenshot, but I'm hoping by deleting all the Steam download cache files from my partitions, it fixes the issue.) Will edit the post (do I ever *not* edit my posts? :rolleyes:P) in a bit here to see if it worked.

Edit #1: Ack, it didn't work. I'll attach a screenshot to show it. (Notice Steam indicates GatEB is running.)

Edit #2: I suppose some good news is that one of the partitions (all versions of OS X) has a Steam version of GatEB that *is* correct and launches GatEB. (I forget which partition, though.) :look :D
But that's on a fairly old version of OS X, so I don't use it much anymore. Maybe I'll see if I can drag it from that directory into my current one. Hell, I don't know.

[Last edited by Lamkin at 05-19-2019 06:33 PM]
05-19-2019 at 03:26 PM
Lamkin

File: Screen Shot 2019-05-19 at 11.29.53 AM.png (99 KB)
Downloaded 45 times.
@morbus: So I tried the Terminal fix under the version of OS X that has a correctly running copy of Steam GatEB, but I get the following error or message (see attached screenshot):

No such file or directory

Perhaps because I need to log in as the root user? (Though I am the admin.)

[Last edited by Lamkin at 05-19-2019 05:49 PM]
05-19-2019 at 05:48 PM
morbus
Lamkin wrote:
@morbus: So I tried the Terminal fix under the version of OS X that has a correctly running copy of Steam GatEB, but I get the following error or message (see attached screenshot):

No such file or directory

Perhaps because I need to log in as the root user? (Though I am the admin.)

Definitely no need for the root user here. This error is more likely indicating that your path to the GatEB installation is different on your machine than it is on mine. You had mentioned earlier that you've got Steam on a partition, and that's likely the culprit. You'd have to revise the command line to the correct location.

Alternatively, perhaps your /usr/local/lib directory doesn't exist. Could you run the following in the Terminal?

ls -l /usr/local

This says "list (ls) in long format (-l) this directory (/usr/local)".
It'd help me identify if the command is failing because /usr/local/lib doesn't exist.

[Last edited by morbus at 05-19-2019 06:42 PM]
05-19-2019 at 06:39 PM
Lamkin

File: Screen Shot 2019-05-19 at 1.19.36 PM.png (35 KB)
Downloaded 51 times.
@morbus: Just want to first say I appreciate your help. :)
Hmm... Yeah, that makes sense about Steam being on a partition; it’s not on the hard drive that came with my Mac...that has an older version of OS X that can’t even launch Steam: 10.6. (I know, I’m weird with all the partitions.) :) Will have to look into finding the proper file path, perhaps.

Or...maybe it doesn’t exist. I’ll try the Terminal command in a moment and edit the post. (Am on mobile.)

Edit #1: Attached a screenshot of the Terminal window after running the command.

Edit #2: Also want to clarify that my Steam directory is on the same partition that I'm booting up from. I'm booting up under OS X 10.11 on a partition on my external hard drive, and my Steam library is also on that same partition, so wouldn't the file path be the same as what you'd initially typed?

~/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/steamapps/common/DROD\ Gunthro\ and\ the\ Epic\ Blunder/DROD.app/Contents/Frameworks/libvorbisfile.3.dylib

Because that is the correct file path after my home folder...or would it still require something before the tilde?

[Last edited by Lamkin at 05-20-2019 07:31 PM]
05-19-2019 at 06:59 PM
morbus
@Lamkin:

K. First, run this:

mkdir /usr/local/lib

As you might guess, your screenshot shows you don't have a /usr/local/lib directory. The above is the command to "make" (mk) that "directory" (dir). Then, after that, try to run the "ln -s" command again. As for said "ln -s" command, the "~" means "your user directory". So, if your username on your Mac is "lamkin", then "~" turns into "/Users/lamkin/" and, with the rest of the path, creates a final location of:

/Users/lamkin/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/steamapps/common/DROD\ Gunthro\ and\ the\ Epic\ Blunder/DROD.app/Contents/Frameworks/libvorbisfile.3.dylib

If that's not where the file (or DROD installation) actually is, then the "ln -s" command will continue to fail, and we'll need to keep at it :)

[Last edited by morbus at 05-20-2019 12:55 PM]
05-20-2019 at 12:54 PM
Lamkin

File: Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 11.51.50 AM.png (23.5 KB)
Downloaded 50 times.
Okay. I tried to make the directory but Terminal said:
Permission denied

So I logged in as the root user, ran the command again and it seemed to work. Then I ran:
ls -l /usr/local

...which showed:
File exists

Then I ran the libvorbisfile.3.dylib command to create the alias, and that seemed to work.
Then I logged out as the root user and back in as an admin, launched Steam GatEB but saw (well, heard) that there was still no sound, then typed out the following two commands displayed in the attached screenshot in Terminal.

Basically says the file exists but then says it doesn't, right? I imagine I must be doing something wrong, but am not sure what that might be. :?

[Last edited by Lamkin at 05-21-2019 02:53 AM]
05-20-2019 at 06:17 PM
Lamkin

File: Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 6.53.13 PM.png (61.4 KB)
Downloaded 52 times.
I did some googling and then located the hidden usr folder. The libvorbisfile.dylib alias *is* there. (See screenshot.) And I'm assuming that it shouldn't matter if the usr folder is hidden, correct?

Edit #1: One question: Is that libvorbisfile.dylib alias in/usr/local/lib supposed to link to the libvorbisfile.3.dylib in the Frameworks folder? If so, why is the file name different—why is that dang 3 in there? Because there *isn't* actually any file named libvorbisfile.dylib in the Frameworks folder. :(

Edit #2: If I open up the lib folder and fix the alias libvorbisfile.dylib to open libvorbisfile.3.dylib, that doesn't work either. (I'm really clueless what to do, though somehow I feel we aren't too far away from fixing this.)

[Last edited by Lamkin at 05-21-2019 03:02 AM]
05-21-2019 at 01:05 AM
morbus
Then I logged out as the root user and back in as an admin,

Are you talking about "sudo" here or logging in as another user through the OS X UI? Either way, if the "ln -s" command you ran was under the root user, and it included the "~/Library/", the tilde would have referred to the root user's home directory, NOT the rnkolson directory, which is where GatEB is presumably installed. The command would have succeeded (you CAN link to a non-existent file), but it won't solve the sound issue.

And I'm assuming that it shouldn't matter if the usr folder is hidden, correct?

Correct. The Linux subsystem is deliberately hidden from OS X UI because you can make your system inoperable very quickly with an accidental deletion.

One question: Is that libvorbisfile.dylib alias in/usr/local/lib supposed to link to the libvorbisfile.3.dylib in the Frameworks folder?

Yes. The basic idea is that you have one versionless "master" file and then a versioned file (with the version: 3), and the "master" file (without the version) will always point to the "right" version. You might start with it pointing toward 3, but then later on, version 4 comes out and all your apps would immediately start using version 4, without having to be recompiled. It's a common pattern in the Linux world.

Continuing on: I'm not convinced that the symlink you've created is actually pointing to the right location. Do the following:

a) In the OS X UI, "Get Info" on the libvorbisfile.dylib symlink you made. Give me a screenshot.

b) In your Steam UI, find GatEB, right click (or command-click) the game title in the sidebar, choose "Properties", then "Local Files", then "Browse Local Files". Then, in the Finder window that appears, choose "View > Show Path Bar" and gimme a screenshot of that window.

[Last edited by morbus at 05-21-2019 12:40 PM]
05-21-2019 at 12:38 PM
Lamkin

File: symlink.png (93.9 KB)
Downloaded 47 times.
morbus wrote:
a) In the OS X UI, "Get Info" on the libvorbisfile.dylib symlink you made. Give me a screenshot.

Screenshot attached.

05-21-2019 at 01:42 PM
Lamkin

File: GatEB.png (105.8 KB)
Downloaded 43 times.
morbus wrote:
b) In your Steam UI, find GatEB, right click (or command-click) the game title in the sidebar, choose "Properties", then "Local Files", then "Browse Local Files". Then, in the Finder window that appears, choose "View > Show Path Bar" and gimme a screenshot of that window.

Screenshot attached.

Maybe log in as root user and delete that usr folder (cd something? I won't try it until I hear from you, though), then log out and back in as admin and try to create the usr folder and alias, etc.??
05-21-2019 at 01:46 PM
Lamkin
Finally...success! And a huge, huge thank you to morbus for finding a solution. We'd talked in Steam chat for a little while, trying out a couple of things. I'll let him post and explain more about it if he wishes to, as it's a bit too technical for me to explain what worked.

But thank you, morbus! :Notworthy :) It's so very nice to have this issue resolved after so many years and so many attempts to fix it.

[Last edited by Lamkin at 05-21-2019 05:27 PM]
05-21-2019 at 05:26 PM
morbus
icon Re: GatEB Steam: No sound for Mac (+16)  
Thanks @Lamkin :)

The shortest explanation is: on their OS version 10.8, the /usr/local/lib directory was not being looked at for libraries. It might not have been in the system path, I dunno - I didn't look into it too closely. Instead, we put the symlink in the system-level location of /usr/lib with this command:

sudo ln -s ~/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/steamapps/common/DROD\ Gunthro\ and\ the\ Epic\ Blunder/DROD.app/Contents/Frameworks/libvorbisfile.3.dylib /usr/lib/libvorbisfile.dylib

This command requires you to be an administrator of the machine, and the use of "sudo" will cause it to ask for your administrative password. You'll likely see a warning that it's dangerous to use "sudo" (and it is). You also won't see any visual response when you type your password into the "Password" prompt, but it IS receiving your keystrokes, so just type your password and hit Enter. And then start GatEB and see if it works.

The above command should ONLY be attempted if my previous command earlier in this thread didn't work.

[Last edited by morbus at 05-21-2019 05:34 PM]
05-21-2019 at 05:33 PM
TestyBlankMonkey
Rank Points: 14
morbus wrote:
4) In the screen that appears, copy and paste this line, then hit Enter to run it:

ln -s ~/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/steamapps/common/DROD\ Gunthro\ and\ the\ Epic\ Blunder/DROD.app/Contents/Frameworks/libvorbisfile.3.dylib /usr/local/lib/libvorbisfile.dylib

After you've hit Enter, reopen DROD: GatEB. You should now have sound.

Hi, I copied this line into my Mac terminal and it returned this message:

ln: /usr/local/lib/libvorbisfile.dylib: Permission denied

I still have no sound. :~( Can you or anyone else reading this please advise? Thanks!

EDIT - Okay, so turns out I missed some comments. I did a bit of digging into some root user stuff, turns out my directory utility is different to everybody elses, and I could not find the edit function to enable the root user, which was lucky because I tried this before I noticed your comment telling people not to do that. So I tried the sudo command, entered my password and it returned this message:

ln: /usr/lib/libvorbisfile.dylib: Operation not permitted

It is worth pointing out that I have already established that there is no such file inside my usr lib folder. I hope this is enough information to go on. Am I missing something out here? This kind of tech is all very confusing. :weep

[Last edited by TestyBlankMonkey at 09-10-2019 02:52 PM]
09-10-2019 at 02:22 PM
morbus
@TestyBlankMonkey: Try the comment right above yours, regarding use of "sudo".
09-10-2019 at 02:51 PM
TestyBlankMonkey
Rank Points: 14
morbus wrote:
@TestyBlankMonkey: Try the comment right above yours, regarding use of "sudo".

Hi, did not see your reply. I have since edited my comment. Returned with this message

ln: /usr/lib/libvorbisfile.dylib: Operation not permitted

Also, I do not appear to have this file. Am I missing something?
09-10-2019 at 02:57 PM
morbus
/usr/lib/libvorbisfile.dylib would usually NOT exist on your system.

/usr/local/lib/libvorbisfile.dylib ALSO would usually NOT exist on your system.

There _should_ be a version of this file in ~/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/steamapps/common/DROD\ Gunthro\ and\ the\ Epic\ Blunder/DROD.app/Contents/Frameworks/libvorbisfile.3.dylib (assuming that your Steam configuration is the default, and you've not told it to store games on other volumes; if you have, none of the above commands will help). What the above "ln" commands are attempting to do is to create a symlink (think: a lower-level alias) to place a virtual copy of that file in /usr/lib or /usr/local/lib.

Do you have a /usr/lib directory in the Terminal? (run: "ls -l /usr/lib")
Do you have a /usr/local/lib directory in the Terminal? (run: "ls -l /usr/local/lib").

[Last edited by morbus at 09-10-2019 03:02 PM]
09-10-2019 at 03:02 PM
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : GatEB Steam: No sound for Mac
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com