Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Architectural Testing Group
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2430
IP: Logged
icon Architectural Testing Group (+3)  
So, it was brought up recently that holds in Architecture don't always get a lot of attention. I had an idea for addressing that: a group of dedicated volunteer testers, so architects have a specific place to go to when they need more feedback.

What does that mean, exactly? Well, the way I'm thinking of it is, we have a list of volunteers here who are willing to test holds. Not everyone who volunteers has to test every hold in Architecture, the point is just that they're saying this is something they're fine with doing regularly.

If you're an architect looking for feedback, you can post in this thread and I guess I contact all the volunteer testers. If we don't get enough of them playing the hold, then I start pressuring people a bit more about it.

That's the plan, anyways. It may change depending on how things work out. For now, let's just get some names on a list and see what happens.

Volunteer testers:
-Dragon Fogel
-Insoluble
-Jeff_Ray...
-disoriented
-Red-XIII
-Lucky Luc
-LeoS
-komachi
-IQubic
-Scattercatt

Holds with testing requested:
King Azb's Arena: http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=42218
Ghostsmiters: Prequel: http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=43082
Architecture Salon: http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=40334

[Last edited by Dragon Fogel at 03-08-2018 07:49 AM]
04-25-2016 at 04:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
Rank Points: 618
icon Re: Architectural Testing Group (0)  
Neat idea!

I actually need some help testing my current hold in the architecture board, Rodents of unusual size.

On the other hand, I also like testing holds, so can I join this group too?

04-25-2016 at 09:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
Red-XIII wrote: I actually need some help testing my current hold in the architecture board, Rodents of unusual size.
I'm on it :)

04-26-2016 at 07:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lucky Luc
Rank Points: 1215
I think this is a great idea! I'd be willing to join, but the time I (can) take for DROD fluctuates a lot. Currently is a pretty busy period, for example.

I guess you could just add me to the list and I'll try to help out whenever I find the time :)
04-26-2016 at 02:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
LeoS
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 276
Please add me to this list as well.
04-26-2016 at 06:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
komachi
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 158
I usually try every hold in architecture but some of them are pretty hard for my ability :P.
I would like to be added to the list anyway.
04-28-2016 at 08:20 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
I think the first post should have a list of holds that have been requested for testing, so testers don't have to wade through an endless mess of posts to find out which holds to test. :P

Also I'd like to send out a last call for testing on Like Grains in a Hourglass. It's pretty much ready for release, I simply need to make sure no US's have snuck in.

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

04-28-2016 at 09:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
I think the first post should have a list of holds that have been requested for testing, so testers don't have to wade through an endless mess of posts to find out which holds to test. :P

Good idea. I've added that, with links to the threads for the requested holds. I'll just update the list when a hold on it gets published.
04-28-2016 at 10:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1527
I would like to please have some testers for Blockerture Science Laboratories. Some people have already looked at it, but that was quite a while ago, there are some new things in it, and I'd also like to see more folks' opinions of it in general.

Here are some links to Things!

05-24-2016 at 05:16 PM
IQubic
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 78
Sign me up, I'll test anything you throw at me. Let's do this!

06-03-2016 at 06:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
IQubic
Rank Points: 78
Sign me up, I'll test anything you throw at me. Let's do this!

06-03-2016 at 06:20 PM
Insoluble
icon Re: Architectural Testing Group (+1)  
Whoa Nelly it's been a busy couple of months in the architecture forum. It's hard to keep up with all the new holds in progress. I've put together a little list to keep track of where everything is. If you want to help out with beta testing and aren't sure where your efforts would be best spent this may be of some use to you. Names link directly to the thread.

[Last edited by Insoluble at 03-03-2017 09:58 PM]
06-14-2016 at 03:20 PM
Insoluble
There's lots of stuff going on in the architecture forum as of late, so maybe it's time to take stock again. Hopefully these little lists are at least somewhat helpful for those of you deciding where to put your beta testing efforts and not excessively annoying. As before, the hold name links directly to the thread.

08-04-2016 at 10:01 PM
Insoluble
I'll go ahead and continue my trend of bumping this thread every couple of months. It's a bit self serving this time since I actually have a hold on architecture that could use testing :D Also, quite a few holds from the previous list have either been published or sent to HA, so thanks to everyone who has been beta testing and providing comments. At this point, Rodent's of Unusual Size is under HA review, and Ghostsmiters, DROD: Standard Compilation, and WYSIWYG contest compilation all got published. Good stuff! Here is a brief breakdown of the holds that have been active in architecture for the past couple of months or so. EDIT: Date format changed to be more clear.

10-13-2016 at 08:43 PM
Xindaris
I think I'd generally like it if someone who finds the hold to be totally fine would say "It's fine" and possibly also upload a hold-demo-pack* if willing/able.

*-The thing you get from saying "Export All" in the demo screen, then saying 'yes' when it asks you if you want to export every demo in the whole hold, in case someone hasn't seen that option before.

10-13-2016 at 09:57 PM
uncopy2002
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 431
Suggestion: change date format from d/m to something like 8 Oct. I keep getting confused at which number is the month and which is the day.
10-14-2016 at 06:39 AM
Insoluble
icon Re: Architectural Testing Group (+2)  
Bout time to bump this again. This time my motivation is slightly different. There hasn't been quite as much activity in architecture and I'm hoping this maybe motivates some activity. We could use some more new holds in 2017!

Three holds from the previous list got promoted, The Spacetime Kerfluffle, Torus, and Hold. Some of the other holds on that list are still active or have active architects and there are a couple of newer holds in architecture as well. Some of the things listed at the bottom of the list are on the older side, but I'm hoping they are still active projects since they're all pretty cool!

[Last edited by Insoluble at 08-12-2017 07:29 AM]
02-17-2017 at 03:59 PM
Xindaris
I've bugged and fussed about block bugs off and on but to my current memory they've been ironed out to a point where I shouldn't need to alter them anymore. Blockerture is now in a funny place where all of my architecture is done, it'd be cool to have a few more room submissions from other folks to add to the Employees Only section perhaps, but the biggest roadblock is me wanting to do voice acting at least for the "computer". I've recorded a few lines for it and put up an open call in General for somebody to play Beethro in that hold, which nobody has responded to, and I've procrastinated since those first few lines on that task even though I'm confident I know exactly how I want the lines to sound and how to handle the effects for them after putting together said first few.

The only thing I really feel still needs an opinion is maaaaybe whether or not Floating Antechamber 1N1W and 1N2W (both "simultaneous control of a momentum and gravity block" puzzles) are truly unreasonable. I find them neat but I guess if they're just too tough and unintuitive to someone walking in for the first time I could move both to postmastery and try to find a new pair of rooms to put there or something.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 02-17-2017 05:09 PM]
02-17-2017 at 05:07 PM
Resert On
Rank Points: 37
Umm, are this tester group are still active?

05-26-2017 at 04:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Sort of? The group isn't a very formally organized thing and I've been very negligent in updating the original post.

However, most of the people who volunteered to test are still active, and you can feel free to ask in here if you want more people testing your hold.
05-26-2017 at 05:01 AM
Resert On
Rank Points: 37
Well, if you don't mind you can test hold named Slayer Manipulation in this link : forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=42338&page=0#417024

Generally, I want opinion and feedback from some peoples.
Also, there has some new things like new rooms, etc, etc.

05-26-2017 at 06:46 AM
Insoluble
Sorry! I never got around to testing the updated version. I'll take a look at it this weekend. I know of at least one other person in the Architectural Testing Group who has played through the hold who mentioned it in Caravel Net chat. They have been very busy with a new job though and have not had time to write up anything.

05-26-2017 at 01:36 PM
Insoluble
Hey fellow testers. Lot's of stuff in architecture at the moment. It's been a while since the last time I did one of these rundowns, but a few architects have been asking around for more testers so I figured it was time. I don't know if these are helpful to anyone other than me. But what the heck, I'll post this anyway in the hopes that it might inspire some more testers to check out these cool holds.

[Last edited by Insoluble at 10-04-2018 08:47 PM]
08-12-2017 at 08:10 AM
azb
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 460
As I mentioned over on the main thread of King Azb's Arena, there are a variety of levels. Don't feel afraid to post if you don't like a level, but don't allow it to scare you away as you can warp past it to levels you find more interesting... there's always a big variety I have in store. :)

08-12-2017 at 11:42 AM
Scattercatt
Rank Points: 36
Count me in on this! Newer holds always deserve attention and I would love to be one to help.
08-12-2017 at 08:38 PM
Dragon Fogel
Finally got around to updating the first post. I could have added some of the other holds Insoluble mentioned, but I'm not entirely sure on which ones are being actively worked on.

To make it easier for myself, I'll stick to putting holds in there where the architect informs me they want testers. (I included King Azb's Arena because azb posted in this thread about it, which seemed like a good enough reason to include it.) Unless somebody has a better idea for how I can manage that.
08-13-2017 at 01:14 AM
Scattercatt
Rank Points: 36
Dragon Fogel wrote:
Finally got around to updating the first post. I could have added some of the other holds Insoluble mentioned, but I'm not entirely sure on which ones are being actively worked on.

To make it easier for myself, I'll stick to putting holds in there where the architect informs me they want testers. (I included King Azb's Arena because azb posted in this thread about it, which seemed like a good enough reason to include it.) Unless somebody has a better idea for how I can manage that.

If you're gonna be taking requests, please test my hold "The Tower" as it only has a couple testers and needs more before i send it through HAs
08-13-2017 at 01:20 AM
Bent
Rank Points: 92
I would appreciate it if some more people tested Ghostsmiters: Prequel, found here: http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=43082

About a week ago I added a new level to it, serving as an introductory stage, but haven't gotten any feedback on it yet. The thing I am most curious about is how difficult people think it is, and if it does a good job explaining how the "Undead Skull"-element works.
03-06-2018 at 03:44 PM
jokokoe
Rank Points: 71
Hello everyone ! I've been working on my last hold since a pretty long time now. I still need to design a few rooms for the last level but I think everything is almost done for the hold to be released. I would appreciate testers !

Thank you ! :)

The Hold : Architecture Salon

Architecture Salon
Do it Again
03-08-2018 at 07:29 AM
Insoluble
Thanks Bent and jokokoe for posting about your holds. I've done a bit of play-testing and feedback and posted in the respective threads and invite other folks in the architectural testing group to do the same. I'll also encourage the both of you to maybe try out each other's holds. In fact, I'd encourage anyone with a hold in architecture to maybe try out another hold in the architecture forum and post some feedback for the architect. I recommend this for a couple of reasons. First, the architect of whatever hold you try will probably be more inclined to give you feedback on your hold in return. Second, and more importantly, the absolute best thing you can do to to become a better architect is to play a lot of DROD. Seriously, hands down, the thing you should be doing to make your hold better is to play a lot of other holds (including ones in the architecture forum) and to use that experience to inform your own architecture.

03-10-2018 at 07:01 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Architectural Testing Group
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com