Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Need Feedback on my First Rooms (Started to make rooms for the first time and need some feedback.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
bace1000
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
IP: Logged

File: Bace1000s First Hold.hold (2.8 KB)
Downloaded 42 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Need Feedback on my First Rooms (+5)  
Hello,
I've recently put together a few rooms in the DROD level editor. These are the first puzzles I've ever made, so I'm not sure how fun/difficult they are. I'd appreciate any feedback on how to improve, and how challenging the puzzles seem.
Thanks!
04-07-2016 at 12:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
uncopy2002
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 431

File: Bace1000s First Hold.demo (12.8 KB)
Downloaded 22 times.
icon Re: Need Feedback on my First Rooms (0)  
Nice, let's have a look!

Entrance: It's broken: it's possible to pass through the wubbas without using the bomb.

1W: It's okay, nothing particular in need to be addressed.

1S1W: I like this room! The concept is interesting.

1S: Clever! You managed to subvert my expectation to make me believe the room is impossible at first.

2W secret: I'd expect something more interesting than this room currently is. Otherwise nothing's broken.

Attached demos to all the rooms. The demo in Entrance shows how I broke the wubba chamber.
04-07-2016 at 02:13 PM
bace1000
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
Thank you for the feedback.
I completely agree with your thoughts on the secret room; I rushed it because I didn't have any interesting ideas.
I'm surprised how easily the wubbas can be bypassed, so I'll probably just get rid of them, they didn't add much anyway.
You executed 1S in a slightly simpler way than I did, but I'm not too bothered about that.
I think I'll continue to add rooms to the hold, and certainly start over with the secret room.
:)
04-07-2016 at 02:55 PM
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1527

File: Bace1000s First Hold.demo (3 KB)
Downloaded 22 times.
How dare you steal my first-hold naming convention! :glare

Just kidding.

But anyway, I played through it and here's some demos.

1W: Nice little roach manipulation puzzle, liked it.

2W: Annoying but not too special? I had trouble for a while until I got the moveset that kills the queens early, then it was pretty easy.

1W1S: Once I finally understood what the room wanted from me..well, it still took me a few tries. Pretty challenging, to my level at least.

1S: I solved this without taking the decoy potion (see demo). Is that supposed to be possible? I'm not sure whether the first thing I thought of was the intended solution or not.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 04-07-2016 08:15 PM]
04-07-2016 at 08:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
uncopy2002
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 431
Xindaris wrote:
How dare you steal my first-hold naming convention! :glare

Just kidding.

But anyway, I played through it and here's some demos.

1W: Nice little roach manipulation puzzle, liked it.

2W: Annoying but not too special? I had trouble for a while until I got the moveset that kills the queens early, then it was pretty easy.

1W1S: Once I finally understood what the room wanted from me..well, it still took me a few tries. Pretty challenging, to my level at least.

1S: I solved this without taking the decoy potion (see demo). Is that supposed to be possible? I'm not sure whether the first thing I thought of was the intended solution or not.

For 2W I killed the brains first. Killing the rattlesnakes first would probably be very hard.

For 1S,

04-07-2016 at 08:20 PM
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1527
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. The trapdoor gate doesn't seem to serve any purpose either as far as my solution was concerned. On closer examination, it looks like I found a marginally harder solution.

Here are some links to Things!

[Last edited by Xindaris at 04-07-2016 09:09 PM]
04-07-2016 at 09:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623

File: Bace1000s First Hold Chaco.demo (5.4 KB)
Downloaded 19 times.
icon Re: Need Feedback on my First Rooms (+2)  
Quickly played through this one. Here's my demos, although you probably won't need them since they're going to be pretty similar to the other ones I think. Still, could be interesting to look at.

Some extra commentary beyond what's already been said:

1W: It's currently possible to open the door to the serpent chamber and let the serpent out, but the room would also be possible if the door were a diagonal entrance, so the serpent couldn't escape (and you had to put a roach in there). Not sure whether that would improve the room, though.

1S:

2W: As mentioned, this isn't super-difficult, but at the same time I do admire the architect's restraint in not letting this room get too out of hand or clogged up. One potential idea for making this room a bit harder, if the architect wants to go that route, would be to add a thin vertical wall about three or four squares away from the west end of the room, which would cause the brained queens to flee once the player got too close to either end of the tunnel.

Anyway, I'm certainly looking forward to more rooms from this architect. :)

07-08-2016 at 04:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
icon Re: Need Feedback on my First Rooms (+2)  
If you want my replays let me know, but I'm pretty sure everything went as intended.

I made a couple of suggestions if you want to make rooms harder, but more difficulty isn't necessarily better, and I liked the rooms as they were.

As a general comment, I think that the rooms look nice; there isn't too much open empty space, and while 1S1W can look a bit cluttered, it isn't actually too hard to see how things work.

Definitely keep at it and add more rooms. Great start to a hold.

[Last edited by mauvebutterfly at 07-09-2016 11:47 AM]
07-09-2016 at 11:45 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Need Feedback on my First Rooms (Started to make rooms for the first time and need some feedback.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com