Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Clicking on a red door highlights all trapdoors in the room
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
uncopy2002
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 431
IP: Logged
icon Clicking on a red door highlights all trapdoors in the room (+1)  
Because, umm, from time to time it's easy to miss lone trapdoors at places you won't put your attention on because you're focusing on other parts of the puzzle.

For example, Blackout: AM 1S1W has a lone trapdoor which some missed and was wondering why the red door didn't drop.
03-28-2016 at 12:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jacob
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3741
icon Re: Clicking on a red door highlights all trapdoors in the room (0)  
Great idea.

03-28-2016 at 05:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Clicking on a red door highlights all trapdoors in the room (+1)  
Question - with all the things that can be clicked in DROD, I am worried that we're getting close to a point where clicking somewhere activates multiple things and everything is meaningless.

One option would be to have this as Puzzle Mode highlight that can be toggled from the options.
Another would be to have cyclic clicking - the first click highlights stuff at the top layer, second click on the next layer and so son. So for example if you had an evil eye on top of red door, clicking on that tile would first highlight the evil eye and on the second click it would hide the eye highlight and highlight trapdoors.
Yet another would be that left click highlights top highglightable layer, shift+click the next layer, ctrl+click the third and so on.

Thoughts?

11-23-2020 at 09:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1527
I think at the very least the option to cycle per click would be incredibly useful to make situations such as "force arrows on pressure plates that all toggle each other in some complicated way" less confusing to parse.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

11-23-2020 at 10:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Clicking on a red door highlights all trapdoors in the room (0)  
skell wrote:
Question - with all the things that can be clicked in DROD, I am worried that we're getting close to a point where clicking somewhere activates multiple things and everything is meaningless.
In truth, verily, and forsooth, I am not aware of any other puzzle game that attempts to provide so many layers of insight into the full state of the game.

(Anyone know of any?)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
11-24-2020 at 06:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4576
mrimer wrote: (Anyone know of any?)

NeoLemmix is the most modern and developed clone of Lemmings, geared at supporting the design and play of fan-made levels. Its equivalent to puzzle mode, "clear physics mode", replaces the normal graphics with black and grey to show the precise shapes of terrain and steel, with other colours to indicate the trigger areas of all objects. There isn't any equivalent to DROD's right-clicking for information, but then, the game itself is much less complex than DROD :P The aim -- which it is pretty close to meeting -- is that all information about the current state of the game should be available to the player.

11-24-2020 at 09:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lucky Luc
Rank Points: 1215
I haven't played it in a while, but IIRC Escape has pretty close to complete information, with only one exception. I think the game state is in general less complicated than in DROD so it's probably not as many layers. Still, depending on the level, especially showing connection between buttons and their target tiles can be pretty tricky to parse. Also, the availability of these features isn't very well documented as far as I can tell.
11-25-2020 at 04:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Clicking on a red door highlights all trapdoors in the room
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com