Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Accidentally deleted a level instead of a room... any chance?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
jwanders
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
IP: Logged
icon Accidentally deleted a level instead of a room... any chance? (0)  
Just finished a room I'd been working on for ages and went to delete an old version that hadn't worked. I clicked on it in the mini-map and then hit the convenient "delete" button just above. Got the standard "Are you sure?" prompt, and clicked through without a second thought, only to realise I'd deleted a whole level instead of just the room!!! I expect not, but is there _any_ way I might be able to get it back? I've been working on this hold on-and-off for years and it'll be hard to recreate rooms I've not even thought about for ages :(
02-01-2016 at 12:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1527
icon Re: Accidentally deleted a level instead of a room... any chance? (+1)  
Have you ever, ever exported your hold, ever? If so, you may be able to recover some of the stuff by exporting the current version to a file that isn't the old one, importing the old exported hold, copying the level to a new hold, importing the more updated version of all the non-missing levels, and pasting the level back in. (Apologies if I'm stating the obvious)

I know it won't help now, but if you're not doing it, I highly recommend exporting a hold file periodically as a backup for this sort of thing, it's helped me immensely.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 02-01-2016 01:16 AM]
02-01-2016 at 01:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jwanders
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
icon Re: Accidentally deleted a level instead of a room... any chance? (0)  
Well, I did manage to find a very old back-up, which saved some of the rooms of the level. Still lost the one I'd just finished and what's probably the best room I've ever made. S'alright... I've been through this kind of thing enough to know that whatever I remake will be better than the original, but it still kind of stings.

Will be backing up more often from now on though...
02-01-2016 at 01:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Sorry for your best room loss.
jwanders wrote:
Just finished a room I'd been working on for ages and went to delete an old version that hadn't worked. I clicked on it in the mini-map and then hit the convenient "delete" button just above. Got the standard "Are you sure?" prompt, and clicked through without a second thought, only to realise I'd deleted a whole level instead of just the room!!! I expect not, but is there _any_ way I might be able to get it back? I've been working on this hold on-and-off for years and it'll be hard to recreate rooms I've not even thought about for ages :(
Yes...if you kill the DROD application/process immediately at that point, the level deletion won't be saved to disk. (I'd suggest making a copy of your five .dat files in the game's Data directory before doing this, though, just in case.)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 02-01-2016 07:18 PM]
02-01-2016 at 07:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1126
It would be nice to have a "close editor without saving changes" button though.

02-01-2016 at 10:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2379
Not near DROD right now, but I think that deleting a room is an undoable action. Is the same true for deleting a level?

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
02-01-2016 at 11:23 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Accidentally deleted a level instead of a room... any chance?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com