Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Variations (A particular collaborative hold)
<<2345
Page 6 of 7
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
disoriented
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2384
IP: Logged

File: updated.png (74.7 KB)
Downloaded 754 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Variations (0)  
This might be correct.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 08-17-2016 07:12 AM]
08-17-2016 at 07:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1531
Intentions are to wall off the edges of rooms that don't connect to anything once the levels are done, just as a general note.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

08-20-2016 at 08:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4590

File: Variations 8 Insoluble.zip (8.8 KB)
Downloaded 45 times.
That needed to be made clear at the beginning. In this level, putting in a wall border would make it impossible to go round the briar at (1,21) and (31,30), and without having solved all the rooms, I don't know whether that would break some of them. (There would also be aesthetic concerns, e.g. the yellow door that hits the room edge in 2S1E).

The attached version fixes a US in my latest Variation.

08-20-2016 at 10:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
I thought saying the room proper should be inside a frame that allows free movement would be enough. I guess we'll have to make do in this level. I'm not terribly fond of a bunch of open edges with nothing past them, I guess we could put empty non-required rooms with walls all around the rim or something.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 08-20-2016 11:53 PM]
08-20-2016 at 11:53 PM
disoriented
Nuntar wrote:
That needed to be made clear at the beginning. In this level, putting in a wall border would make it impossible to go round the briar at (1,21) and (31,30),

The rooms' exit locations are generally interchangeable so we can move them around like puzzle pieces. Would this get around the issue you've identified?

08-21-2016 at 01:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Hmm, maybe with a bit of testing to see which open room borders are actually "required" and then seeing whether the rooms can be arranged so that all of the "required" openings are still open, but the other ones can be or not. I'm only annoyed that this would necessitate everyone making new demos and junk, so I'm not completely sure it's worth the overhead rather than just putting a very big notice somewhere the player can see that the level's room edges are slightly nonstandard.

I think the force arrows may be breaking a few of the demos we already have though, so...

[Last edited by Xindaris at 08-21-2016 04:32 AM]
08-21-2016 at 04:29 AM
disoriented
We'll need new recorded demos anyway when these levels are compiled into a master hold, so I'm not too concerned about that. Better to get the layout right.

08-21-2016 at 04:33 AM
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638

File: Variations 9 DimWiddy v8.zip (13.9 KB)
Downloaded 46 times.
Oh wow, sorry everyone! I really should have thought of things like that before I made my initial room. I'm fine with adding additional tunnels through the briar as needed and will gladly record additional demos if necessary.

On a somewhat happier note, you'll find a variation on DimWiddy's room attached. It's based on the idea in blorx1's room and hopefully not too annoying. Also, I seem to somehow be missing the demo for Chaco's variation on that room, so I recorded a demo doing the challenge. I also went ahead and scripted the challenge, perhaps someone can come up with a clever name for it. As a final note on that particular level, I know blorx1's room is fairly quick, but I assume we should still have at least one checkpoint in it.

08-21-2016 at 07:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
Okay, I'm going to start trying to clean up and finalize "Insoluble's Level" tonight. I'll redo the demos too. Before I do that though I feel like it would be nice to redo them in the final compilation hold so that we don't need to redo them again later.

I guess we should figure out what we want to do for the compilation. Should we go with a level map or a hub level? I lean a bit more towards maps these days over hub levels since it makes it a lot easier to navigate back and forth between, but then we'll need to come up with artwork. Hub level would mean we'd have to come up with more rooms. There are a lot of options for hub styles too. It could be one room that has 9 exit stairs to the other levels and a final exit that only unlocks via scripting. We could go with the more traditional one room per exit (so 9 rooms plus one final exit one I guess). We could make an actual puzzle level with stairs hidden throughout. What do the rest of you think?

[Last edited by Insoluble at 08-22-2016 01:02 AM]
08-21-2016 at 10:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
I'm generally in favor of making it easy to get to the individual levels; either a map or a "go wherever" hub level along with something that keeps track of which levels have been completed would seem best for me. In my own projects, I don't bother with maps because I've never learned to make them or felt they had much advantage over a good multi-stair-room hub level, but if someone else wants to take up that task I wouldn't have any problem with it.

08-21-2016 at 10:38 PM
disoriented

File: more.png (74.8 KB)
Downloaded 40 times.

File: more.png (74.8 KB)
Downloaded 569 times.
For now we can use a world map with just the contestant's names in the image, to be enhanced with some artwork later. How does that sound?

[Last edited by disoriented at 08-22-2016 01:41 AM]
08-21-2016 at 10:41 PM
Nuntar

File: Variations 9 DimWiddy.hold (21.8 KB)
Downloaded 43 times.
As this is the last room for DimWiddy's level, I've added room borders, and checkpoints in the rooms that were missing them.

I don't mind doing a hub level if you would like.

08-28-2016 at 05:15 PM
Nuntar

File: Variations 8 Insoluble.hold (3.8 KB)
Downloaded 45 times.
Insoluble's level: I've moved the puzzle area in every room one tile NE, and added a room border. I've also removed the force arrows that indicated adjacent rooms, and removed vision tokens close to edges that don't have a room beyond. I think all the puzzles work with this change, but demos will be broken. As disoriented pointed out, we'll need to re-record demos anyway for the HAs when this gets compiled into a master hold (which should be done as soon as possible).

08-28-2016 at 05:48 PM
disoriented
Nuntar wrote:
I don't mind doing a hub level if you would like.

If nobody else pipes up, please feel free to take that task.

08-28-2016 at 06:08 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624

File: A Blorxery Compilation Domicile.hold (1.7 KB)
Downloaded 46 times.
icon Re: Variations (+1)  
Nuntar's working on the hub level right now, but he asked me to do the hub room for blorx's level since he wasn't sure how to depict "blorxery". I'm not 100% sure either, but here's a first attempt at it.

10-05-2016 at 01:23 AM
Nuntar

File: Variations.hold (96.5 KB)
Downloaded 48 times.
icon Re: Variations (+2)  
And here it is: the master hold, with the complete hub level and everything so far compiled into one hold. We have 78 of the necessary 100 rooms! :thumbsup

Changelog:
* All level entrances have two stairs linking to the hub, one behind a blue door that gives access to a widget (connected to the level's theme) allowing the hub room to be cleared. The other staircase allows returning to the hub leaving a level partially solved, so the player can tackle the 81 puzzle rooms in any order.
* Hub: The Entrance contains a final puzzle (on the theme of "Variations") to be solved after solving all levels.
* Level titles normalised to contain just the thematic noun phrase, without the "Variations on" part. Someone Else's level (Variations on a Theme) renamed to Bomb Safety.
* I copied every room of DimWiddy's level into a blank level, so that all levels appear as "By Various Architects".

Still to be done:
* Complete the remaining 22 rooms
* When each level is complete, add walls to room boundaries that don't lead to a room. (Already done for the two finished levels: EE and SS)
* For levels with blank entrances (LD, RaBBaG, PA), ask the architect of the original version to make a proper entrance room (or leave it as a blank room with staircases if they really want, I guess)
* Level intro texts for the levels missing one (currently DaRD, B, EE, SS and Hub)
* Hold ending text
* Remake demos in this hold
* After promotion, Xindaris should mark unscorable the Entrance of each puzzle level, and all rooms of the hub except the Entrance and 1S1W.

[Last edited by Nuntar at 10-05-2016 08:56 PM]
10-05-2016 at 06:15 PM
Xindaris
The room numbers don't look quite right. There should be a total of 9*9 = 81 puzzle rooms + 9 entrance rooms + however many hub-level rooms since there were originally 10 people in the rotation but Jacob quit before making anything..so that's 100 if there are 10 rooms in the hub level. But the total number of puzzle rooms missing is 23, 24 from the last spreadsheet posted minus only the last variation of Dimwiddy's so far.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 10-05-2016 07:58 PM]
10-05-2016 at 07:57 PM
DimWiddy
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 85
So, should I make changes to this new consolidated hold, or should I continue adding to the "Variations [number] [name]" holds?

10-05-2016 at 08:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Insoluble
Wow, thanks for doing this! Hmm, I haven't looked at the new names yet, but is there a reason the names were changed? If we're going to be changing names I'd imagine at the vary least there's time for the architects to come up with their own name for the level they started. I'd hope that I can at the very least change the level title of mine since evil eyes is a somewhat dull level title.

10-05-2016 at 08:55 PM
Xindaris
I probably did just miscount the rooms then.

I'm certainly of the opinion the "original room" builders should be allowed to make the title of their own levels, as well as possibly level descriptions(?), bearing in mind that the title should be read as following the phrase "Variations on "

Which brings to mind a legitimate issue: the overall hold title should be either "Varations on" or "Variations on..." so the noun phrases forming the level names actually follow it to form a complete phrase (e.g. what will show for my level will be:
"Varations on
Limited Directions"
.) At least as far as the original ideas were concerned.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 10-05-2016 09:09 PM]
10-05-2016 at 09:07 PM
Nuntar

File: Variations on.hold (96.6 KB)
Downloaded 51 times.
Sure. I'm not taking over running this or anything, it's still your project :)

I'd recommend that the original architect for each level should do the level description (and you, as the project coordinator, should do one for the hub level).

New version of the master hold. I've retitled the hold to "Variations on..." and the hub to "Entering a Level", and fixed the widget in EaL 2E.

10-05-2016 at 09:16 PM
disoriented

File: new_status.png (306.6 KB)
Downloaded 371 times.
Currently waiting on DimWiddy, Insoluble, Someone Else.

[Last edited by disoriented at 11-06-2016 12:32 AM]
11-06-2016 at 12:32 AM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300

File: Variations 6 Nuntar.rar (10 KB)
Downloaded 45 times.
Okay, here's a variation for Nuntar's Dropping a Red Door.

[Last edited by Someone Else at 12-15-2016 05:58 AM]
12-15-2016 at 05:33 AM
Someone Else

File: Variations 4 Chaco.rar (8.5 KB)
Downloaded 45 times.
And here's one for Chaco's Reaching a Brain Behind a Gate.
12-15-2016 at 05:59 AM
Someone Else

File: Variations on.hold (97.4 KB)
Downloaded 45 times.
Here's the compilation hold, with all of the rooms I was up for included. Since Nuntar passed on my room, I rearranged my level so all the rooms can be in a circle around the stairs.

[Last edited by Someone Else at 12-15-2016 05:21 PM]
12-15-2016 at 04:04 PM
Xindaris
Well, passing is supposed to be temporary to allow more time to work on the room, so it's still in the air whether currently passed rooms will be given up on entirely, in my understanding.

I don't particularly object to the original maker of each level deciding its "shape" where possible, though I'm probably leaving my own in whatever shape it naturally took along the way.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 12-15-2016 06:19 PM]
12-15-2016 at 06:18 PM
Nuntar

File: Variations on.hold (98.2 KB)
Downloaded 48 times.
Lazy Soldiers is complete! I've added the wall borders to this level and Reaching a Brain.

I've renamed Insoluble's level to "Exterminating Evil Eyes", as he said he prefers this in a chat discussion a while back. Maybe we could rename DimWiddy's "Slaughtering Sea Serpents" to match?

Challenge suggestion: Reaching a Brain 1N3E, kill the brain before releasing any golems, then clear the room.

[Last edited by Nuntar at 12-15-2016 07:53 PM]
12-15-2016 at 07:18 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624

File: Variations 6 Nuntar v8.zip (4.5 KB)
Downloaded 42 times.
Here's my variation on Nuntar's room, that involves letting waterskippers move through water, but a mimic move through trapdoors. I think it's a neat twist with a different task.

Demo is included in the .zip like always.

12-15-2016 at 08:40 PM
disoriented

File: closer.png (69.9 KB)
Downloaded 171 times.
Getting close...

[Last edited by disoriented at 01-31-2017 04:46 PM]
01-31-2017 at 05:53 AM
disoriented

File: Variations on.zip (101.1 KB)
Downloaded 47 times.
Here's my variation of Dropping a Red Door. Looks like that level is complete. :)

02-01-2017 at 05:37 AM
<<2345
Page 6 of 7
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Variations (A particular collaborative hold)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com