Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Variations (A particular collaborative hold)
Page 1 of 7
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1527
IP: Logged

File: Variations.zip (2.5 KB)
Downloaded 87 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Variations (+4)  
Variations--A collaborative hold
Sequence of participants (order chosen by RANDOM.ORG):
1. Xindaris
(2. Jacob quit)
3. Someone Else
4. Chaco
5. disoriented
6. Nuntar
7. blorx1
8. Insoluble
9. DimWiddy
10. jamesdenem

If you're not on the above list you may still request to join as long as we aren't too far along; you'll be added as the last number on the current list plus 1.

Sequence of steps/rules:
Click here to view the secret text

Hopefully this is clear enough. Let me know if there are any questions/issues; I'm hoping everyone can use zip files, for example.

Here are some links to Things!

[Last edited by Xindaris at 12-21-2015 02:19 AM]
11-04-2015 at 03:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2379
icon Re: Variations (0)  
So at the conclusion, there will be 8N holds (one for each participant) and 8N rooms in each hold (one made by each participant)?

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 11-06-2015 05:33 AM]
11-04-2015 at 04:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Right. Since levels can generally be copy-pasted, as far as I know, especially among the same player file.

11-04-2015 at 06:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
I would encourage the initial rooms of each level to be relatively simple, instead of torturous. That way it's easier to create variations.

11-04-2015 at 06:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623

File: Variations 4 Chaco v2.zip (2.9 KB)
Downloaded 45 times.
Alright, let's get things started with a simple room. (Perhaps too simple?)

The main idea is that there's a brain inside a small-ish room with a yellow door, and a small far-away pressure plate must be held down somehow to get to the brain (but then released later when necessary).

There are, of course, several different ways this could be accomplished, but in this room you have three brained golems and a brained roach queen to do the job with.

EDIT: Sorry, my apologies. I didn't mean it to be possible to just hold down the plate with a golem corpse, so I had to add another little widget to ensure the plate gets released after the brain is killed. Hopefully this doesn't really mess up anybody's plans, and maybe even adds a bit more material to work with.

[Last edited by Chaco at 11-05-2015 02:02 AM]
11-04-2015 at 08:48 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1299

File: Variations 3 Someone Else.zip (3.1 KB)
Downloaded 38 times.
Here's mine! In it you have to guide a couple aumtlich onto some pressure plates without letting them look at (most of) the edges.
11-05-2015 at 01:12 AM
Chaco

File: V3SE Variations on a Theme 1N break.demo (969 bytes)
Downloaded 32 times.
icon Re: Variations (+1)  
Someone Else wrote:
Here's mine! In it you have to guide a couple aumtlich onto some pressure plates without letting them look at (most of) the edges.

Nice room! Unfortunately it can be broken by having one Beethro push the other one into the north gate passage, then having the first Beethro stand on plates. See the attached demo.

This is inelegant and boring enough that I didn't feel like making a variant room where that sort of stuff was the solution, so instead I thought I'd bring it up publicly.

[Last edited by Chaco at 11-05-2015 04:51 AM]
11-05-2015 at 03:02 AM
Xindaris

File: Variations 1 Xindaris.zip (3.4 KB)
Downloaded 35 times.
icon Re: Variations (+1)  
Here's mine.

The basic idea is the whole "prevent Beethro from turning his sword via mimic" thing + kill four queens while navigating around their spawns to unlock the brains. The player is only allowed to turn to the four orthogonal directions in the original version, and that only at specific spots near the center.

I can't seem to solve this room without using the haste potion. Maybe I'm just not good enough; if it is actually possible it would make a good challenge.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 11-05-2015 02:57 PM]
11-05-2015 at 04:34 AM
Xindaris
!!Note!!

I have, at their request, added DimWiddy to the list at spot 9.

This should effect what you're already doing now very little.

11-05-2015 at 04:44 AM
Someone Else
Chaco wrote:
Someone Else wrote:

Nice room! Unfortunately it can be broken by having one Beethro push the other one into the north gate passage, then having the first Beethro stand on plates. See the attached demo.

This is inelegant and boring enough that I didn't feel like making a variant room where that sort of stuff was the solution, so instead I thought I'd bring it up publicly.

Ooh. I guess I'll rebuild it then.

Oh, and if it's okay with you guys I'll add checkpoints to rooms that don't have them when I add my variation. I don't use UU, so I notice it a lot. :P

[Last edited by Someone Else at 11-05-2015 02:07 PM]
11-05-2015 at 02:03 PM
Xindaris
Ughh I forgot checkpoints AND the info scroll. Will upload a new version with those things added soon.

Also, there's now a 10th person who's joined! That means 100 rooms when we're done, which is a pretty respectable hold size.

(EDIT: New version with checkpoints and scroll is now uploaded to the earlier post where the old version was.)

[Last edited by Xindaris at 11-05-2015 02:58 PM]
11-05-2015 at 02:40 PM
Someone Else

File: Variations 3 Someone Else.hold (1.7 KB)
Downloaded 30 times.
Okay, that particular US is fixed. You might still be able to do something similar, but I'm okay with that particular solution.

Xindaris: Not using the speed potion seems almost possible. I'm very close to beating it like that, but I can't get back to change the direction of my sword. I'm going to say it's impossible.

[Last edited by Someone Else at 11-05-2015 08:20 PM]
11-05-2015 at 07:41 PM
Chaco

File: Variations 3 featuring Chaco.zip (4.3 KB)
Downloaded 35 times.
icon Variations 3 featuring Chaco (+1)  
Here's an additional variation of Someone Else's room, that I added to 1N1W. It features a completely changed room goal, using new elements but essentially the same room layout.

Enjoy!

11-06-2015 at 01:17 AM
Someone Else
I quite enjoyed that. I totally forgot that I got my sword back, though, and killed the wraithwings with the bombs. :P
11-06-2015 at 04:13 AM
DimWiddy
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 85
Sorry, but I'm new to collaborative architecting. How does one switch to the "Various Architects" player profile? Do you have to be logged in to CaravelNet?

11-06-2015 at 05:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DimWiddy
I don't see any Various Architects option. Do I just make a new profile titled Various Architects?

11-06-2015 at 05:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DezzTech
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 327
There's a player profile included in the zip in the first post. Unpack in somewhere and on the player select screen press "Import" and open that file.

11-06-2015 at 05:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jamesdenem
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 203

File: Variations 10 Jamesdenem.zip (3.5 KB)
Downloaded 32 times.
Well, here is my idea for the compilation.

It involves planning ahead with your team of temporal clones so that the each complete the task they need to do without interfering with one another.

This signature intenionally left blank. Disregard any text you may find here, because it is probably just your imagination, and not a signature in any way. We mean it, don't believe that there is text here.
11-06-2015 at 05:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DimWiddy
DezzTech wrote:
There's a player profile included in the zip in the first post. Unpack in somewhere and on the player select screen press "Import" and open that file.

Wait, so THAT'S what it's for? Doi.

11-06-2015 at 05:54 PM
Xindaris

File: Variations 10 Jamesdenem.zip (5.5 KB)
Downloaded 36 times.
Attached is Jamesdenem's level-hold plus my variation of it!

I reduced the available clones by one, added a tunnel between the east and west sides, and changed up the connections of the orbs quite a bit. I also made it so that the east/west timeclone has to use a stick and some added pits to kill those three monsters instead of the handy convenience of a sword.

My demo is super inefficient because my usual methods for synchronizing time-clones are inefficient; someone who can count out what should be going on at exactly which turn would probably get a better demo. Probably the nastiest trick is that the roach on the east side might follow the wrong timeclone if you're not careful, and I didn't really even make it that way on purpose.

I also did a tiny bit of housekeeping, renaming the level to just "Planning Ahead" (the "variations on" part of the phrase will be the hold name) and making the entrance room the same room-style as the "puzzle" room(s) for consistency.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 11-06-2015 11:11 PM]
11-06-2015 at 11:07 PM
DimWiddy

File: Variations 9 DimWiddy.zip (5.1 KB)
Downloaded 33 times.
Alright, here's my room, in which you have to move around a set of rafts (but not all 4) to manipulate a gentryii and serpent.

Sorry that the demo was made by my profile; for some reason when I tried to play as Various Architects I couldn't move Beethro at all or turn his sword.

[Last edited by DimWiddy at 11-07-2015 08:35 PM]
11-07-2015 at 04:52 AM
disoriented

File: Variations 4 Chaco v3.zip (4.4 KB)
Downloaded 37 times.
Here's Chaco's hold with my contribution.

Nuntar adds a room next.

[Last edited by disoriented at 11-08-2015 12:01 AM]
11-07-2015 at 11:28 PM
disoriented

File: Variations 3 Someone Else v3.zip (8.6 KB)
Downloaded 35 times.
Here's Someone Else's hold with my contribution.

Nuntar adds a room next.

[Last edited by disoriented at 11-08-2015 12:01 AM]
11-07-2015 at 11:55 PM
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2430
DimWiddy wrote:
Alright, here's my room, in which you have to move around a set of rafts (but not all 4) to manipulate a gentryii and serpent.

Sorry that the demo was made by my profile; for some reason when I tried to play as Various Architects I couldn't move Beethro at all or turn his sword.

Did you change your controls? The Various Architects player would have its own control scheme in the settings, which might not match up with yours.
11-08-2015 at 12:42 AM
DimWiddy
Dragon Fogel wrote:
DimWiddy wrote:

Did you change your controls? The Various Architects player would have its own control scheme in the settings, which might not match up with yours.

Ah, that's right! I'm on a laptop, and it was set to desktop. I'll use Various Architects for future replays.

[Last edited by DimWiddy at 11-08-2015 04:21 AM]
11-08-2015 at 12:51 AM
disoriented
Here's mine, where the soldier cannot move or you end up stuck.

Nuntar is next.

[Last edited by disoriented at 11-08-2015 01:57 AM]
11-08-2015 at 01:52 AM
disoriented

File: Variations 5 disoriented v1.zip (3.9 KB)
Downloaded 38 times.
Oops, forgot to include a scroll. If it's not too late, here's an updated copy.

11-08-2015 at 01:57 AM
Chaco
disoriented wrote:
Here's Someone Else's hold with my contribution.

Nuntar adds a room next.
C h a l l e n g e !
 Variations on a Theme: Twice North 

Once you step on the time token, immediately press Tab so you don't use the temporal projection at all. Solve the room without the time token.

11-08-2015 at 06:01 PM
jamesdenem
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 203

File: Variations 9 DimWiddy v2.zip (3.3 KB)
Downloaded 35 times.
Here is my variation for DimWiddy's room.

You will have to find a way to get the gentryii off the center island in order to get the roach free to kill the serpent.

This signature intenionally left blank. Disregard any text you may find here, because it is probably just your imagination, and not a signature in any way. We mean it, don't believe that there is text here.
11-08-2015 at 09:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Xindaris
DimWiddy, I can't get your demo for your hold's 1E to work; it keeps saying (for both versions of the hold) that it doesn't belong to any hold imported at all. Could you please record a new demo with the latest version of the hold so I can pile all 3 demos in when I make my variation of it?

11-09-2015 at 03:53 AM
Page 1 of 7
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Variations (A particular collaborative hold)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com