Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : A Quiet Place
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.5/10 (55 votes)
σ 1.52
Author Name:Ghogg
Submitted By:jdyer
Hold Name:A Quiet Place
Theme:
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:11
Number of Rooms:97
Number of Monsters:1726
Version:DROD: Architect's Edition
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:12 (+12 / -0)
Poster Message
jdyer
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 329
IP: Logged
icon Re: A Quiet Place (0)  
agaricus5 wrote:
It would be highly frustrating, since it's not obvious.

To explain (regarding L8 2N2E)...

Click here to view the secret text

[Edited by jdyer at Local Time:10-29-2004 at 01:52 AM]
10-29-2004 at 01:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Atch
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 81

File: AQP Limbo 2N2E Victory.demo (752 bytes)
Downloaded 162 times.
License: Other
jdyer wrote:

I have looked again at Limbo: 2N, 2E and would be interested to know if you consider the method used in the attached demo an alternative solution or mere variant on Wesley’s.

My original solution was similar to his in that it used the block in the SW for protection but I again I had placed the mimic immediately to the SE of Beethro on starting.

10-29-2004 at 03:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Danzig
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
Hmmm. I was excited to find out that all my attempts at 2N2E (L7) were indeed fruitless... scanning through this I thought, wow, I can give up on this darn room since this obviously ain't the exit I'm looking for... only to find a duplicate, that I assume I need to complete. Why oh why can't I figure out the secret. If someone can just tell me where to place my clone I would be oh so happy. 3 hrs. is just to much time for me... sad and pathetic me. :no
10-29-2004 at 03:51 PM
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
Danzig wrote:
Hmmm. I was excited to find out that all my attempts at 2N2E (L7) were indeed fruitless... scanning through this I thought, wow, I can give up on this darn room since this obviously ain't the exit I'm looking for... only to find a duplicate, that I assume I need to complete. Why oh why can't I figure out the secret. If someone can just tell me where to place my clone I would be oh so happy. 3 hrs. is just to much time for me... sad and pathetic me. :no

10-29-2004 at 04:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Just finished this hold, and loved it. And I definitely liked the forced solution levels, it definitely didn't make them simple to solve. Favourite hold so far.
12-07-2004 at 12:37 AM
techant
Rank Points: 854
I am glad that so many of you have enjoyed this hold as I am still stuck in the entrance, that is the very first entrance.

I can tell I will probably need a very specific solution to kill the snake going round and round, (see #1) but I haven't figured out.

If I use the wraithwing (I can't seem to get him out of the cage, but I can kill him), some roach offspring or a queen. I have got everything else in this room killed but then I have nothing to use on the snake. Help.... or should I just give up and come back when I have more experince?

[Edited by techant at Local Time:12-14-2004 at 12:16 AM]

12-14-2004 at 12:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TripleM
Theres nothing extremely difficult needed to kill the snake. Probably the easiest thing to use:

Remember that

12-14-2004 at 12:44 AM
CrazyDiamond
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 38
when I finish an hold...how can i submit scores?

05-01-2005 at 01:20 AM
TripleM
icon Re: A Quiet Place (+1)  
Go into the settings page. After filling in your name and password theres a button to submit scores.
05-01-2005 at 02:06 AM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
You need to have the full version of DROD 2.0 to do this though. And if you do have it, you need to be connected to CaravelNet, and the instructions of how to do this are sent to you when you buy the game.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
05-01-2005 at 02:26 AM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
A superb /large hold.

I loved the first 5 levels. The next three levels were not my type.

All in all, difficult in a good way.

I especially like level 5, 1S1W and 2S2E.
05-19-2005 at 06:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
This hold, I think, is likely to be a love it or hate it sort of hold. Or, possibly, a love it AND hate it hold. Which is where I was with it.

I loved the first five levels. Great puzzles, lots of smiting...

The next three levels were not to my liking at all.

Then the last two levels were once again great.

So I'm not sure how to rate it...I'm going to give it a 7 with 6.5 brains. The stuff I like it better than that, but I have to balance with the levels I don't care for.

Still and all, a very good overall experience.

02-07-2007 at 12:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Great, awesome, superb, fill-in-as-many-really-positive-adjecives-as-you-want hold!

I loved to first five levels, and loved the next three even more! The second to last level also was awesome, but the very last room of the hold I thought was a bit of a let down. It just didn't seem that Finale-esque enough. Don't know, it's just me.

9 with 7.5 brains.

EDIT: I forgot to ask, is this hold supposed to be canonical? It has a lot of references to JTRH canon, and it came out in during the AE age.

[Last edited by Ezlo at 03-04-2007 01:52 AM]
03-04-2007 at 01:51 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Ezlo wrote:
EDIT: I forgot to ask, is this hold supposed to be canonical? It has a lot of references to JTRH canon, and it came out in during the AE age.

Well, it depends on what you mean by canonical. Caravel is commited to keeping the canon consistent with, and only with, the offical holds and certain SmS holds (Perfection, Beethro's Teacher and Master Locks). These holds are officially canon.

There are other holds, especially from the early days of AE when the community was smaller (Bavato's Dungeon, Tomb of Nomb, Sewers of Blorn), which had plots pre-approved by Erik, so they're sort of semi-canonical, and some information from them can be found in the Eighth reference materials. But there's no offical recognition of this in the sense that Caravel is free to ignore these holds if Erik feels its best.

Now, A Quiet Place isn't in either of these categories - at least, if it's in the second category I forgot. But it might be canonical in the sense of being designed by its architect to be compatible with existing canon. Of course, if that's the case, there's no guaruntee it will remain canonical because Caravel will not consider it at all when trying to make future plots.

03-04-2007 at 02:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Okay then. Thanks.
03-04-2007 at 02:40 AM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
I believe there were certain holds that were given the Architect's Seal before the release of JtRH as a teaser. This hold may be one of them, but I don't recall for sure (and I'm too lazy to look through the room images right now).

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
03-04-2007 at 03:05 AM
eytanz
There were, but (just to clarify, I know Onieromancer knows this), this had nothing to do with whether the plot is canonical, but rather with whether the hold looked like it was good quality and going to be ready in the correct timeframe.

03-04-2007 at 03:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
The reason I asked was less because of the seal, and more because of the slayer though. Did Erik clue him in on that too?
03-04-2007 at 03:12 AM
eytanz
No - I looked over the level entrances, and it's pretty clear that this is just a coincidence.

03-04-2007 at 03:20 AM
Beethro
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
Me being my noobish self can't figure out the VERY FIRST room. Help?

07-22-2008 at 07:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Hi there and welcome! If you need some assistance with a room, the place to look is on the Hints and Solutions Board. You can search for the room you are having problems with.
There are three threads already on the first room - one of those should help you out. :)

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 07-22-2008 08:25 AM]
07-22-2008 at 08:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
A Quiet Place holds a very special place in my heart :) It was the first hold I played after KDD, and it managed to amplify my apreciation of DROD even further. A huge (and very belated) thank you to jdyer!

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 01-14-2010 09:10 PM]
01-14-2010 at 05:22 PM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : A Quiet Place
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com