Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : A Day at the Beach (A short hold in the Beach style)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

9.0/10 (15 votes)
σ 0.63
Author Name:rj
Submitted By:blorx1
Hold Name:A Day at the Beach
Theme:A short hold in the Beach style
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:1
Number of Rooms:25
Number of Monsters:79
Version:DROD: The Second Sky (5.0)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:16 (+16 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: A Day at the Beach.hold (13.1 KB)
Downloaded 614 times.
License: Other
icon A Day at the Beach  
Hi!
This is a short hold with a goal of being more approachable than my previous works (though I slipped in some harder rooms at some point).
I put some work into the aesthetics and secret placement as well, so I think it's overall a pretty polished hold.
Enjoy!
10-01-2014 at 08:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
disoriented
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2379
icon Re: A Day at the Beach (+1)  
More really good work by blorx1. The attention to the setting is nice. The initially simple-seeming rooms hide devious puzzles and secrets.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 10-04-2014 04:34 AM]
10-04-2014 at 04:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1908
I agree, great hold blorx!

A great group of tricky puzzles set on a beach with shallow water. Mostly fairly simple setups that require advanced techniques to solve.

I actually manged to post-master this hold and say it was thoroughly satisfying.

[Last edited by larrymurk at 10-23-2014 09:48 PM]
10-10-2014 at 11:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
Now that I've finally mastered this hold I have to agree with the others. This hold is terrific. Here are some things that really stood out to me (i.e. why you should download and play this if you haven't yet.)

First, the puzzles are fantastic. There are some seriously devious puzzles here and they run the gamut from monster movement, to deep understanding of game mechanics, to classic lynchpin. There are some collections of rooms that follow a certain theme, but on the whole, there's enough variety to keep things interesting and the whole hold is on one level with a 5 by 5 open design allowing you to jump around to another room if you ever get frustrated or stuck.

The level design is just fantastic. The puzzles themselves are very solid, but the overall design aesthetics of this hold stand out. The abstract, and slightly disturbing minimap art feels like something you would see in TSS. I can't emphasis how much the attention to details like this add to a hold. It makes things a lot more immersive and fun to play.

My absolute favorite aspect of this hold is the secret rooms. This hold, takes the style of secret room from Shattered Mine and runs with it. The secret rooms are all easy to spot, but quite tricky to get to. 1N3E is a particularly good example of this and ranks up with MoAR for roach queen movement puzzles. This adds a lot of replay value to the hold as you essentially have to solve a new puzzle to access the secret rooms.

01-06-2015 at 04:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : A Day at the Beach (A short hold in the Beach style) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com