Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Dusty Dungeon (Various puzzles)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.7/10 (18 votes)
σ 2.51
Author Name:Stefan
Submitted By:Stefan
Hold Name:Dusty Dungeon
Theme:Various puzzles
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:4
Number of Rooms:54
Number of Monsters:1859
Version:DROD: Architect's Edition
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:7 (+7 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Dusty Dungeon.hold (34.6 KB)
Downloaded 2474 times.
License: Other
icon Dusty Dungeon  
This is my first hold. Hope you like it! (at least I do)
09-22-2004 at 04:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stefan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2119
icon Re: Dusty Dungeon (+3)  
Hold updated!

I've eliminated some unintended solutions, but changes have only been made to unrequired rooms, so there is no need for updating! (unless you really want to)

Edit: Hold updated again because of a bug that stigant found in L3:2N1E (also an unrequired room)

[Edited by Stefan at Local Time:11-16-2004 at 10:05 PM]

10-19-2004 at 03:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Atch
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 81
In this new era and as I write there have been seventeen explorers of Dusty Dungeon yet only two of these have ventured beyond Level 1. Since one is the Architect himself (Stefan) then I feel that it falls on me, as the other, to sing the particular praises of this hold. I would rate its difficulty higher than Bavato with some very frustrating areas (goblins and hordes in tight spaces) but there are plenty of gems here, with some of the most memorable rooms that I have ever encountered in DROD, so I would urge others to follow. There is a particular feast for the eyes on Level 3 including a delightful orb-powered pattern generator.

Rooms Not Required

There are a large number of these with scrolls that say so when the room is not secret (in the AE sense) such as Level 1: 1S. I was not able to complete any of these rooms, which probably goes a long way to explaining Stefan’s current domination of the rankings. In one we have a long two-square corridor, with nine corners, full of brained roaches, plus eighteen spawned, before a three-square tar mother that you have to race for against a tar timer. I feel that the corners are critical but at best I run out of time requiring a further 25 moves. In another you are forced to control four mimics simultaneously, while invisible, to clear four quadrants yet with only a tiny space to move in – it is enough to make you weep.

05-07-2005 at 04:54 PM
silver
Rank Points: 915
icon Re: Dusty Dungeon (+1)  
Indeed, very difficult hold. Ye posted that right when I had only 1S1E to finish to progress beyond level 1, though :)

05-07-2005 at 05:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
...And you said that when I had only 1N to finish in the first level. I don't think that it's nearly as difficult as Bavato's Dungeon but still there are many quite challenging rooms.

I got slightly annoyed when my best run in the secret efficience room on first level with tar and roach queens was 2 moves too slow after 3 tries. :toohard

I'll do it later... Into the second level.
05-07-2005 at 11:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stefan
icon Re: Dusty Dungeon (+2)  
Heh, it took me several days to get that room (the tar/queens on timer) just right. I'll be somewhat surprised if anyone manages to kill the mother with its eyes open (and still be able to complete the room).

Some of the secret and/or unrequired rooms are perhaps as difficult as some rooms in Bavato's Dungeon, but I don't think the required ones are. Oh, and if you haven't completed the
Click here to view the secret text
then you haven't seen anything yet...

Thanks for the praises and comments. It's nice to see that others are playing (and enjoying) this hold.

05-08-2005 at 08:07 PM
Atch
Rank Points: 81
icon Re: Dusty Dungeon (0)  
Thanks for that Stefan – so it is not a mistake at the top of the page and we now know what that apparently redundant feature is for. You had me delving around in the red herrings (that lead everywhere else) for an hour or so – that inaccessible exit was cruel! – until I finally twigged.

But can I get anywhere on this level? I know that brained wraithwings will sometimes back off unexpectedly but I haven’t been able to find the key to proceed west. I am determined to get in but have just heard that Deep Hold is again open for business. This is a hugely prestigious job that I am keen to be part of so Dusty Dungeon will have to wait I am afraid.

My comparison of this hold with Bavato’s Dungeon was perhaps not appropriate, it being of such a different order of magnitude for a start, but they did remind me of one another and you did acknowledge its influence in inspiring at least two rooms – mind you I could actually do the Bavato version of Level 1: 1S.

05-09-2005 at 11:19 AM
cbemom
Rank Points: 36
well, I don't feel so bad now. I've completed all the rooms on the first level, and three on two. However, I'm completly stalled on 2S. I can't come close to 30 moves to get the the invis. potion. The best I've done so far is 41.

Any hints??

oops, missed the secret room on one. :blush

[Edited by cbemom at Local Time:05-24-2005 at 11:25 PM]

05-24-2005 at 11:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stefan
cbemom wrote:
However, I'm completly stalled on 2S. I can't come close to 30 moves to get the the invis. potion. The best I've done so far is 41.

Any hints??
I think there were some hints given in the Architecture thread here.

05-24-2005 at 11:27 PM
cbemom
Rank Points: 36
thank you much - that was enough to get it finished. Now for brained goblins (ick,ick,ick)

05-25-2005 at 04:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1908
Dusty Dungeon is very fun.

As mentioned earlier, the extremely difficult/taxing rooms are not required. I recommend trying these rooms at least to get a feeling for what would be required to defeat them. Who knows, you might conquer 1 or two like I did.

Stefan is indeed the DROD expert and every room is original and interesting. I especially like rooms like L2:2S2E where tar is spawning and growing and there are multiple tactics to try. Minor quibble, there are no save pts in this room. The first thirty moves are forced so I'd have at least appreciated a save point at the end of the initial passage.

In L2:4S1E I couldn't figure out how to kill a snake even though I'd tried 2 methods. Stefan explained that these 2 methods (done properly) or a third, intended method, all worked. He was right of course.

Sooooo, play this hold. If ya need help, ask for it.The Pro himself or other wayward adventurers will come to your aid.
07-19-2005 at 08:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
martz
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 414
An enjoyable hold, but how do I get to the fourth level?

The obvious candidate is L3:1E. I've found 4 staircases under the tar but one of them I cannot get to, and the other 3 take me back to the first 3 levels.

Or maybe I'm looking in the wrong room. Any hints?

Progress - Gavin G
01-04-2006 at 01:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Stefan
icon Re: Dusty Dungeon (+2)  

01-04-2006 at 01:49 PM
martz
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 414
Ahh, just what I was looking for. Now, how to kill the serpent in the first room...

Progress - Gavin G
01-04-2006 at 03:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Fi-nal-ly. Stick a fork in it - it's done.

What can I say? A great dungeon, but somehow all of the secret rooms make Beethro's Teacher look easy... :D

I give it 9 brains and 9/10. ;)

np: Isan - Fullen Brimm (Salle D'Isan)

07-17-2006 at 12:30 AM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Conquered.

Without even coming close to a single one of the non-required rooms.

The hold itself is very good, difficult but not mind-shatteringly so. I give it an 8 with 8.5 brains of difficulty.

The non-required rooms (particularly 1W on a certain level) are...I'm not really sure how to describe them. Suddenly finishing the last two secrets in Beethro's Teacher doesn't seem like such a task.

If I were to evaluate the hold on the strength of its secret rooms, it would get 9.5-10 brains. I think I'm just going to go on the basis of the required rooms, and peg it at 8.5.

Josh

01-19-2007 at 08:57 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
I've not conquered the third level nor even found the Secret Level.

But, today I beat First Level Once North Twice West. I think that room has the best work -> feeling of "yes! huzzah! I am victorious! I'M FRACKING AMAZING!" ratio. :)

Now to tread onwards. Some of the rooms here are just brutal, but I admit I've enjoyed every step.

09-04-2007 at 03:00 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
Now that I've conquered this fine hold, I have an obligation to post a short review of my thoughts.

This hold by Stefan features many staple AE rooms, but it is a difficult challenge and is quite interesting. Two recurring themes that show up are horde management and efficiency, which are absolutely necessary to get through most of the hold.

The three levels that form the main body of the hold have definite visual styles that form a defined level shape, but most of the concentration is on function rather than on aesthetics, and on intriguing challenge rather than particular decoration or frills. (That's fine. This hold was designed during the AE era, where this was the norm.)

If the regular rooms aren't hard enough for you, there are even plenty of optional rooms on each level that are even more ridiculously difficult! (Three examples: one room that pays tribute to Bavato's Dungeon, another room with absolutely nightmarish amounts of tar, trapdoors, and mixed monsters, and a third room which demands perfect efficiency against a stream of roaches) There's even a secret fourth level in the hold, which simply must be seen to be believed.

In summary, if the reader is a skilled smitemaster who is very good at killing swaths of monsters (particularly brained hordes), but wants some trickery mixed in and some interesting level design choices in addition, then I would recommend they play this hold. Good job Stefan :)

[Last edited by Chaco at 10-30-2008 12:31 AM]
10-30-2008 at 12:29 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Dusty Dungeon (Various puzzles) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com