Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Holds : Growing (Learning monsters)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

5.4/10 (5 votes)
σ 1.20
Author Name:Benhur
Submitted By:The spitemaster
Hold Name:Growing
Theme:Learning monsters
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:1
Number of Rooms:12
Number of Monsters:80
Version:DROD RPG: Tendry's Tale (1.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:0 (+0 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Growingv7.drh (9.8 KB)
Downloaded 369 times.
License: Other
icon Growing  
A short many choice hold where the monsters get stronger as you do.

Monster Growth Patterns:
Click here to view the secret text

05-17-2014 at 11:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2668
IP: Logged
icon Re: Growing (+1)  
Wow, finally beat this. For such a small hold it's pretty dang hard. However, I wonder how much of that is trying to parse the maths involved in plotting the growth patterns and figuring out the optimal REP gain per damage taken point. The biggest problem with this hold is that the formulae for the monster growth is really complicated. This makes planning out how you're going to try and beat it to be a total nightmare, so I just sort of brute-forced my way through with trial and error.

I think the monster growth idea has potential, but maybe not to the extreme that this hold takes it to. It needs to be simpler, with numbers the player can more easily wrap their head around. The concept of making things harder for more reward is definitely one that's proven to work, for example, Tendry's Tale has the altars combined with a late game greckle doubler that encourages fighting with low stats for great late game payoff. This idea of the monster stats being variable can work along the same lines. It doesn't even have to be growth occurring after every monster kill or door opening, you could tie it to some story-related events, or even just a command button or accessory that toggles between normal, hard and ultra-violence for increased greckle or rep gains or something like that.

This hold gives you something to think about at the very least. Unfortunately not quite the most entertaining hold out there, but it is very different, and I can respect that.

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 07-29-2015 10:36 PM]
07-29-2015 at 10:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Holds : Growing (Learning monsters) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com