Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : jfflpnk (Adventure and excitement!!!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

6.7/10 (19 votes)
σ 3.29
Author Name:Dischorran
Submitted By:Dischorran
Hold Name:jfflpnk
Theme:Adventure and excitement!!!
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:4
Number of Rooms:162
Number of Monsters:2768
Version:DROD: Gunthro and the Epic Blunder (4.0)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:100 (+100 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: jfflpnk.hold (83.5 KB)
Downloaded 696 times.
License: Other
icon jfflpnk  
In an epic adventure spanning the Eighth, Beethro fights monsters, solves puzzles, saves friends and family both new and old, and perhaps even learns something new about himself? Good luck!!

Note: this hold requires DROD: GatEB version 4.0.2.111 or higher.
01-18-2014 at 04:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3623
icon Re: jfflpnk (+3)  
This is Dischorran's latest accomplishment - it's quite a statement on what makes a DROD hold a hold.

It's basically a cross between the theme of The King's Surrealist Domain from The Oversight, the layout of maze levels like Population Density, and contains some interesting puzzles to keep your interest.

And then once the blue door drops, the real puzzle starts.

Give this hold a try - or a chance - you won't be disappointed, but will in fact be pleasantly surprised by all the neat little things it has.

01-18-2014 at 03:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
blorx1
Rank Points: 920
icon Re: jfflpnk (+5)  
Since I finished this I guess I should talk about it. Something tells me that the commentary about this hold might be similar to that of Bad Evil Restaurant, if only because there will be people that don't really get it and assume it's a horrid jumble of rooms.

It's not though, it has a lot of chaotic elements and it seems like there are parts of the hold that are sort of white noise, but there is a legitimate puzzle beyond just finding the secrets. It shares a lot of themes with not-drod but adds onto it the strange layout and some nonsense that other not quite drod holds have.

It's worth playing. Also note that one can use the command key to get some hints at times. I didn't notice it till after I was largely done, but it probably helps in some rooms.

01-20-2014 at 05:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Vike91
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 229
icon Re: jfflpnk (+3)  
This. Hold. Is. Pure. Genius.

01-20-2014 at 07:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Sandalo
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 47
icon Re: jfflpnk (0)  
blorx1 wrote:
Also note that one can use the command key to get some hints at times.
What is command key???
01-20-2014 at 11:32 PM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4576
icon Re: jfflpnk (+2)  
Go to Settings -> Commands and see what's allocated to "Special command". The default is numpad decimal point.

01-21-2014 at 12:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
PMIT
Rank Points: 159
icon Re: jfflpnk (+2)  
This hold, more than anything else, exemplifies the idea of there being order in chaos, and I would definitely recommend that anyone give it a try. Don't be put off by the higher than average difficulty rating, even if you get stuck on a puzzle or two, the hold is incredibly non-linear and there are plenty of interesting things and rooms to discover! I don't want to spoil too much, but I was very impressed by the versatility of this hold as a whole, the way it comes together towards the end, and also how well Dischorran was able to utilize non-required monsters/elements to keep traversal interesting without turning rooms into ordinary puzzle rooms. Many kudos to him and his testers! :)

(Edit: The issue described in this paragraph has been fixed.) On a side note, as of the time this was posted, there are three apparently unclearable rooms due to scripting which are still marked as having high scores available. The rooms in question are:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by PMIT at 02-04-2014 09:09 PM]
01-22-2014 at 06:19 AM
adS
Rank Points: 214
icon Re: jfflpnk (0)  
PMIT wrote:

On a side note, as of the time this was posted, there are three apparently unclearable rooms due to scripting which are still marked as having high scores available. The rooms in question are:

When I press F6 in
I get the message "This room does not record highscores."

adS

02-04-2014 at 06:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3406
icon Re: jfflpnk (+1)  
Yeah, I took care of them.

02-04-2014 at 08:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : jfflpnk (Adventure and excitement!!!) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com