Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Heroine's Quest - Thieves Guild Help!
Page 1 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
dakobah
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
IP: Logged
icon Heroine's Quest - Thieves Guild Help! (0)  
***SPOILER ALERT****

I'm loving this game. I'm incredibly stumped at the Thieves Guild puzzle. I can use the golden sword to pry open the barrel door, but when I get down there I just get murdered. Anyone have a solution for this yet?
12-27-2013 at 04:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
thadsokay
icon Re: Heroine's Quest - Thieves Guild Help! (0)  
Select the 'Use' function (the pinchy fingers) on yourself immediately after being tied up. You will then enter a brief battle sequence.
12-27-2013 at 04:48 AM
dakobah
It says "try as you might, you are unable to untie the rope" but that's even before he throws it the ropes on you. when the ropes are around you, the icon turns into an hourglass and its impossible to select anything else.
12-27-2013 at 04:52 AM
Jack Stryker
Rank Points: 13
thadsokay wrote:
Select the 'Use' function (the pinchy fingers) on yourself immediately after being tied up. You will then enter a brief battle sequence.

That's only for warriors, I think. I haven't played a sorceress or rogue yet, but I assume the sorceress is supposed to cast some kind of blind spell on the guy. Rogues, I'm guessing should throw a snowball or something at him.
12-27-2013 at 05:28 AM
ellisonch
dakobah wrote:
It says "try as you might, you are unable to untie the rope" but that's even before he throws it the ropes on you. when the ropes are around you, the icon turns into an hourglass and its impossible to select anything else.
I'm having exactly the same problem. I feel like this interaction is bugged.

I noticed that sometimes the barrel is seen as a door, and can be pried open, but sometimes it is not. This also seems buggy, or at least incomprehensible.

Once I get the barrel open, I am killed in seconds, and have not been able to escape.

The different letters around the room (I've seen AENORLGSTD so far) don't seem to be related to this puzzle, of if they are, I have no idea how. I tried spelling out STEAL then pressing the bookcase, but it didn't do anything.

I managed to figure out the six stones puzzle, but they told me I had to get my stuff back from the thieves first.

FWIW, I am a rogue. I tried throwing stuff at the guy to no avail.

Other than this, the game has been quite fun so far.

[Last edited by ellisonch at 01-05-2014 02:06 AM]
12-27-2013 at 05:28 AM
dakobah
Figured it out. Use Acrobatic Jump before he throws the ropes.
12-27-2013 at 05:51 AM
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
What's going on here is that certain actions can only be performed by a certain character class. For example, a warrior can snap ropes by flexing her muscle, whereas a rogue cannot. Generally speaking the warrior takes the straightforward or "muscle" solution to problems, the sorceress takes the smart or convoluted solution, and the rogue cheats like there's no tomorrow. Yes, the game can play very differently depending on your class choice :)

12-27-2013 at 04:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
k2j

File: heroinesquesterror.JPG (137.7 KB)
Downloaded 30 times.
License: Public Domain
After I make my way down to the thieves guild and successfully avoid the immediate attack, Regin walks in to welcome me... once I've clicked through the following dialogue, I get the following error message (*.jpg file attached to post, i cant post links apparently.. sigh..) within 5 sec max and the game crashes to the Desktop:

"An error has occurred. Please contact the game author for support, as this is likely to be a scripting error..."
in "room41.asc", line 557

Error: AnimateObject: object has not been assigned a view

Tried ca 10 times :(

Game halting bug ? Anyone else getting the same error there ? Any workarounds ?

[Last edited by k2j at 12-27-2013 10:01 PM]
12-27-2013 at 09:57 PM
k2j
icon Heroine's Quest Thieves Guild game halting bug (0)  
After I make my way down to the thieves guild and successfully avoid the immediate attack, Regin walks in to welcome me... once I've clicked through the following dialogue, I get the following error message (*.jpg file attached to post, i cant post links apparently.. sigh..) within 5 sec max and the game crashes to the Desktop:

"An error has occurred. Please contact the game author for support, as this is likely to be a scripting error..."
in "room41.asc", line 557

Error: AnimateObject: object has not been assigned a view

Tried ca 10 times :(

Game halting bug ? Anyone else getting the same error there ? Any workarounds ?

[Last edited by k2j at 12-27-2013 10:03 PM]
12-27-2013 at 10:01 PM
Radiant
The question is how you're avoiding the immediate attack?

12-27-2013 at 10:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
k2j
Radiant wrote:
The question is how you're avoiding the immediate attack?

*** SPOILER ! ***

As a magic user thief I just cast the Flame/Flaming Aura spell..
12-27-2013 at 10:27 PM
Radiant
Thank you, that explains the bug. I'll start work on a v1.1 after new year to fix this and others.

In the meantime, to bypass the situation, think about this: how would you deal with this if you were a non-magical thief? You don't need to restart or anything, just try and solve this particular puzzle without spellcasting.

12-27-2013 at 10:36 PM
k2j
Radiant wrote:
Thank you, that explains the bug. I'll start work on a v1.1 after new year to fix this and others.

In the meantime, to bypass the situation, think about this: how would you deal with this if you were a non-magical thief? You don't need to restart or anything, just try and solve this particular puzzle without spellcasting.

Aha.. gotcha. Many thanks!
12-27-2013 at 11:04 PM
romulus16
So is it normal for it to kill you without being able to do anything and call you a cheater?
12-28-2013 at 08:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Radiant
romulus16 wrote:
So is it normal for it to kill you without being able to do anything and call you a cheater?

No. In fact I'm curious how you did that. You should only get the "cheater" death if you get in the thief guild at a time when that's supposed to be impossible, which as far as I know can only be done with the debug mode teleportation cheat. Are you trying to get in the guild when you haven't even been robbed yet, or is something else going on? Please be specific.

12-28-2013 at 08:44 AM
romulus16
Radiant wrote:
romulus16 wrote:

No. In fact I'm curious how you did that. You should only get the "cheater" death if you get in the thief guild at a time when that's supposed to be impossible, which as far as I know can only be done with the debug mode teleportation cheat. Are you trying to get in the guild when you haven't even been robbed yet, or is something else going on? Please be specific.

*cries* I hate finding bugs >.<

Okay so basically I am up to the point where I need to rescue the Jarl

My Mirror Was stolen Earlier on and in the same day I Used the robe piece with the dog to find the place but I did that before going to the other world

I use a normal sword to pry it open and at night the room is empty, but early morning the girl and man are there, either way all I get is hourglass (cant even see the Heroine) then CHEATER... Need more specifics?

*Edit* I have also gotten the girl out of jail by this point with money bribe

[Last edited by romulus16 at 12-28-2013 09:00 AM]
12-28-2013 at 08:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
oneoff
I'm stuck in the same place - my mirror was stolen a while ago, along with a couple of silver coins, and I wasn't able to follow the thief to their hideout (I'm play a sorc'). Now I'm trying to help the Jarl but no luck there - I've gotten the girl freed from the prison (her silhouette is the same as the thief so...) but she's not gushing with gratitude about it.

For a while I was trying to destroy the rune stone but am thinking its just there to give the cat something to scratch.
12-28-2013 at 09:54 AM
Radiant
I'll check the code if there's a workaround. In the meantime, let me point out that rescuing Jarl Ylfing is not required to complete the game.

12-28-2013 at 11:56 AM
romulus16
Radiant wrote:
I'll check the code if there's a workaround. In the meantime, let me point out that rescuing Jarl Ylfing is not required to complete the game.

I hope so >.< Up to the part where you have to ask 4 citizens for their blessing and since the Jarl is out of the question that leaves me with Archery guy... (Does the archery thing scale of any skill or is it just click the right spot?

EDIT
Okay just figured out the archery bit... Have to admit was really impressed by the way you do it for an adventure game :)

[Last edited by romulus16 at 12-28-2013 03:06 PM]
12-28-2013 at 02:26 PM
TripleM
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1373
I'm getting the cheater issue now too. As described in another thread I was previously unable to get into the house at all; after reloading an earlier save, I can now get in, but get the cheater death as soon as I go down.

Looks like there's several bugs in this area! I think it boils down to the fact that if you don't access the house + the thieves guild inside before rescuing Heime, you're stuck.

[Last edited by TripleM at 12-29-2013 11:29 PM]
12-29-2013 at 10:03 PM
perrilin
How do you do the archery bit as a rogue?
12-29-2013 at 10:07 PM
Shieldmaiden
Just to report that I'm having the same CHEATER bug. I get the door open, go in and immediately die.
12-30-2013 at 07:18 PM
RogueIce
Sounds like it's an issue with sequence breaking? As mentioned above, you're supposed to do this before rescuing Heime, so waiting until later means you're entering "when you're not supposed to" and thus, you've "cheated" and get the death.

EDIT: Possibly even before he was kidnapped at all, come to think of it. Don't know how long the acceptable window is, though. Maybe up until Kraka gets arrested and you find out she's a thief?

[Last edited by RogueIce at 12-31-2013 04:25 AM]
12-31-2013 at 04:24 AM
thefriendlyghost
How do you open the barrel as a rogue?
01-03-2014 at 07:12 PM
Zachski
thefriendlyghost wrote:
How do you open the barrel as a rogue?

Which part are you having trouble with?
01-03-2014 at 10:15 PM
thefriendlyghost
I'm still in Regin's house. I found all those switches with letters, but have no idea how they work or what to do to open the barrel door (assuming this is how to get into the thieves guild?)
01-03-2014 at 11:34 PM
delascabezas
thefriendlyghost wrote:
I'm still in Regin's house. I found all those switches with letters, but have no idea how they work or what to do to open the barrel door (assuming this is how to get into the thieves guild?)

SEGNES?
SENE?

The book clue is ambiguous. Nothing happens when I enter the house.
01-04-2014 at 02:00 AM
bjorn
The answer is simple: what are you looking for :)

Click here to view the secret text

01-04-2014 at 02:48 AM
Radiant
RogueIce wrote:
Sounds like it's an issue with sequence breaking? As mentioned above, you're supposed to do this before rescuing Heime, so waiting until later means you're entering "when you're not supposed to" and thus, you've "cheated" and get the death.

EDIT: Possibly even before he was kidnapped at all, come to think of it. Don't know how long the acceptable window is, though
That is correct; the window is that you should deal with the thieves before you enter Svartalfheim.

01-04-2014 at 12:54 PM
cullynthedwarf
ok i know what i have to do but not sure how to do it... if any one can tell me how to hit the hard to reach switch PRVATEly i would be appercaitive.
01-04-2014 at 07:30 PM
Page 1 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Heroine's Quest - Thieves Guild Help!
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com