Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Feature Requests : Beam Control (Because flexibility is fun.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
hyperme
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1055
IP: Logged
icon Beam Control (+5)  
So currently, the Beam attribute is entirely binary. You have no beam, or a 50% damage beam. While hot tiles and bombs can be configured, beams can be blocked, and their sources removed. Which makes them stand out from the other two %-based damaged options, in that they cannot be finely controlled. The solution is, of course another _My variable.

_MyBeam would be a variable that controls how powerful the Beam Attack beam is. Similar to the variables for hot tiles and explosions, positive values change the percent of health lost when the player is hit by the beam. Negative values cause the beam to deal an absolute amount of damage. This allows you to give enemies some form of ranged attack that deals absolute damage.

Also, there are two attributes for equipment relating to beams.

Beam Immune is fairly obvious. A Beam Immune Sword blocks beams, just like the Really Big Sword. A Beam Immune Accessory prevent beam damage. A Beam Immune Shield prevents beam damage when facing the beam. Facing the beam means works in the same way as facing Goblins expect, of course, a sword can be on the beam.

Beam Resistant is slightly different. Reading the equipments _MyBeam variable, it reduces the amount of damage a beam does. A positive _MyBeam reduces damage by a percentage, a negative _MyBeam reduces it by an absolution. Shields and Accessories work like their Beam Immune counterparts, and Swords reduce damage if the beam passes through the sword. Note that it is possible for Beam Resistant equipment with a negative _MyBeam value to reduce a %-beam's damage to zero if the player's health is low enough.

A final attribute is Attack Beam. The beam simple works like an extended 'Attack In Front' attribute, only Beam Immune and Beam Resistance equipment have an effect. Attack Beams are a different colour from normal beams. Maybe blue?

09-04-2013 at 05:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
gavgav123
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 34
icon Re: Beam Control (+1)  
This does sound pretty interesting! Some nice unique qualities can be added to a hold with this.:D
01-30-2014 at 12:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
icon Re: Beam Control (+1)  
I agree. RPG provided us with a great deal of flexibility when it comes to scripting (which I'm very thankful for), but it's only made me eager for more flexibility. This, along with a few other features with the arrow next to them, would be fantastic. It would surely boost RPG's popularity as even more different types of holds can be made.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
01-30-2014 at 01:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Beam Control (0)  
Ability to control beam blocker attribute on custom equipment has been approved for the next major version 1.3. Thanks, hyperme!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
09-25-2020 at 04:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2668
icon Re: Beam Control (+2)  
Can confirm in 1.3.0.370:

Swords can have the Beam Blocker attribute, which makes them block beams like the Really Big Sword.

Shields can have the Beam Blocker attribute, which blocks beams when facing towards or at 45 degrees towards a beam.

Accessories can have the Beam Blocker attribute, which blocks beams in all directions.

All of the above show "Beam Blocker" when hovering over the equipment when you have it equipped.
12-15-2020 at 09:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Feature Requests : Beam Control (Because flexibility is fun.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com