Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Backgrounds
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
eanmrtn123
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
IP: Logged
icon Backgrounds (0)  
For anyone that can help :-P,

My name is Ean Martin. I am 16 and a computer programmer in a little 'company' that me and my friend 'created' in middle school 4 years ago. We kept it a hobbyist company, nothing big or real, just for software, computers, and games. Anyway, I discovered AGS via. the game "A Tale of Two Kingdoms", and I loved the backgrounds. I'm not that good with backgrounds so I used the ones from King's Quest 5 as a test, and it looks good, but it isn't my own background, so it's not as special to me.
Anyway, I was wondering how the backgrounds in AToTK look so amazing. In KQ5+ series, the backgrounds were made with pastels, but I'm not as good. How do you guys make your backgrounds.? Thank you so much!

- Ean Martin
"VideoSystems" :D
09-03-2012 at 04:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
icon Re: Backgrounds (0)  
One of our artists will be with you shortly :)

09-04-2012 at 11:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eanmrtn123
Radiant wrote:
One of our artists will be with you shortly :)

Thank you so much!
09-04-2012 at 11:07 PM
Fizzii
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
Hi Ean,

We typically use a graphics software package such as Adobe Photoshop or The Gimp. They can all achieve the same result, it's more a matter of preference.

Much of the time it's a matter of sketching the background first (either with pencil, or directly on computer with a tablet), laying out the various elements, in order to achieve a composition which works. I know when I was working on ATOTK, I wasn't very good at composition, but you get better with practice. It also helps to look at references, go out in nature and draw what you see (not what you think you see).

Composition is very important as it makes or breaks a scene. Often it can take several sketches before you come up with something you like. Getting feedback from other people is also important as it helps you to learn where to improve.

After the sketching, it's a matter of choosing colours (depends on your light source and intensity), blocking the colours in, and adjusting them so that it is consistent with the lighting. Understanding form is important in order to achieve realistic 'shading'.

After that, and only that, should it be a matter of details and refining it down - often people get bogged down in the details first before considering composition and colour.

Regarding media - if you understand form and colour, the medium you use is irrelevent, and you should be able to achieve decent results with traditional media. The only difference is that you would want to have a good quality scanner, and you'd probably need to do some digital editing to tidy it up.

So I'm afraid there's no real quick tricks - it mainly comes down to practice, practice and more practice, and continually trying to improve. But if you have patience and enjoy it, it's definitely rewarding in the end. :)

Loomis books are a good start to understanding the basics: http://www.alexhays.com/loomis/
09-05-2012 at 11:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eanmrtn123
Wow! Thank you! I'm not too shabby at drawing scenes, so I'll give it a shot. :-) Thank you! :yes
09-06-2012 at 10:48 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Backgrounds
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No