Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : "Eerie Eeriness" Castle (>20 LEVELS and >400 ROOMS)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
AndrY
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 13
IP: Logged

File: ?????? ???? by AndrY 9.hold (133.2 KB)
Downloaded 54 times.
License: Public Domain
icon "Eerie Eeriness" Castle (+3)  
(Замок "Жуткая Жуть")made in "Drod - King Dugan`s Durgeon".
This is russian version, after some time i , perhaps, will made english version 10.1

People,WHO DOWNLOADED FILE "?????? ???? by AndrY 1" , ...2" , ...3" , ...4" or ...5" , ...6" , ...7" or ...8" , download file ...9" again !
There was error in the 1st, 9th, 11th and 12th and 13th and 14th and 16th and 17th and 18th floors.

[Last edited by AndrY at 08-03-2012 05:14 AM]
07-20-2012 at 12:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3623
icon Re: "Eerie Eeriness" Castle (0)  
I played this hold's first level and solved all the rooms up to 4N1E. After that, the blue door did not open, even though I solved all the rooms I could reach.

I think this may be because there is a required room behind either the blue door or the master wall. Rooms in those positions should be marked unrequired so that the blue door can open.

I'm looking forward to the English translation and the rest of the levels - I think this hold has good potential as an easy-difficulty hack-and-slash hold that's fun to play and to compete for low move count efficiency in.

07-20-2012 at 03:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
This is not a bad hold, and I agree with Chaco's thoughts.

In First Level: 2W, there is a secret wall at (14,24), which you might want to make a broken wall. Broken walls are easier to distinguish from regular walls.

Other than that, I enjoyed myself, and would look forward to enjoying the rest of the puzzles.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
07-20-2012 at 04:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Neather2
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 406
What's wrong with the file? I get an empy .php file when I try to download the hold :|

Conspiracy, my new hold, has just been released.
07-21-2012 at 05:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco

File: andry_chaco_progress.png (8.6 KB)
Downloaded 43 times.
I just played the new version "4" and the same problem I mentioned still exists - I played all the rooms I could find, and the blue door in The Entrance was still raised.

Here's a picture of all the rooms I played. Maybe there's a hidden required room that I missed. Stranger things have happened. (I can't go look for rooms like that myself using the DROD editor because this hold is set to Only You Edit, not Anyone Edit.)

I would recommend the architect re-play level 1 and level 11 when they make these kinds of error fixes, just to be sure that the changes they make have worked properly and actually fixed the issues. That way development goes much faster and cleaner :)

Again, I'm looking forward to level 2. I wonder if the rooms get more difficult ;)

[Last edited by Chaco at 07-21-2012 05:53 PM]
07-21-2012 at 05:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Rank Points: 354
I have the same problem. How do I get the download to work?

I wish that man would stay away
07-22-2012 at 04:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
AndrY
Neather2 wrote:
What's wrong with the file? I get an empy .php file when I try to download the hold :|

The spitemaster wrote:
I have the same problem. How do I get the download to work?

try rename .php to .hold

Chaco wrote:
I just played the new version "4" and the same problem I mentioned still exists - I played all the rooms I could find, and the blue door in The Entrance was still raised.

6 version is normal

[Last edited by AndrY at 07-22-2012 08:49 AM]
07-22-2012 at 08:43 AM
Chaco
Yes, the version 6 does fix the error in Level 1 (and hopefully in Level 11 also).

For some reason this new hold version has the same timestamp as the old version 4, so in order to play the new version you'll have to delete the old hold and import the new hold, and re-play level 1.

I'm glad I did, though, because level 2 is much more interesting than level 1. Level 1 has some rooms that are pretty easy even for the inexperienced DROD player, and the level can be completed in mere minutes, but level 2 shows that the architect can put much more thought into his rooms: rooms like 1S1E and 1S1W are hack and slash rooms, sure, but they require more observation and the player has to figure out the room's geometry, and devise a path before he runs in. Rooms like 1W and 2S1E remind me of the holds "Killing Jar" and the "war" series in a good way, since again, the player needs to carefully consider his approach in order to make the room easier (or possible).

There's even the hold's first true puzzle room in Level 2 1N1E, and while it's a puzzle that most DROD veterans have seen before, it shows that the architect is interested in addressing different themes within one level.

So, to anyone who might have been dissuaded or dismissed the hold because of its first level, try the hold again and see what else is in store. I know I'm looking forward to when I have enough time to play level 3.

07-23-2012 at 09:55 PM
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
Stuck on level 6, 2N1E. How to kill the last wraithwing?

After about 5 years away from DROD, this is the first unofficial hold I have played, and so far it's fun. I never progressed beyond the bottom rung as a player, so fun holds like this are ideal for me, though I suspect, the way it is going, it will get much harder.
07-25-2012 at 05:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
bandit1200 wrote:
Stuck on level 6, 2N1E. How to kill the last wraithwing?

It's easy to kill the last wraithwing if you avoided destroying the crumbly wall at the start of the room.

07-25-2012 at 06:21 PM
Chaco
icon Re: "Eerie Eeriness" Castle (+1)  
I found a backtracking problem that I think it is important that the architect fix:

In Level 9, Thrice North Sence East, there is a green door at the south of the room, with force arrows pointing South. If you go through this green door, you may enter Twice North Sence East before it's conquered. This means you'll get stuck since there's green doors in that room that keep you from clearing the room or going anywhere, and you can't go back through Thrice North Sence East because you can't leave the entryway due to the force arrows.

The way I'd suggest fixing this problem is to just remove those force arrows, since they don't really serve any good or useful purpose.

07-25-2012 at 06:42 PM
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
I'm afraid Level 12 2N 2W is impossible. (or I'm not seeing how to do it, which scares me even more)

I think I know what you were aiming for there, but tiles at 17,9 and 18,9(right-click to view coordinates) are both trapdoors, which means I need to drop them before the left serpent is free. And then there's no way to kill that serpent.

I'll also say that I like what I've seen so far, despite serious lack of checkpoints and some cheap tricks like walls-under-tar and secret wall passages. You've got some good puzzles here! :)

[Last edited by mxvladi at 07-25-2012 11:46 PM]
07-25-2012 at 07:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
No wonder I never made a good DROD player when I miss something so obvious. I never even gave a thought as to why that crumbly wall was there, I was too busy looking at the green door.

Thanks, Chaco.
07-25-2012 at 10:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
AndrY

File: ?????? ???? by AndrY 7-13.hold (132.8 KB)
Downloaded 33 times.
mxvladi wrote:
I'm afraid Level 12 2N 2W is impossible. (or I'm not seeing how to do it, which scares me even more)

I think I know what you were aiming for there, but tiles at 17,9 and 18,9(right-click to view coordinates) are both trapdoors, which means I need to drop them before the left serpent is free. And then there's no way to kill that serpent.
I made yellow wall in 18,9

Chaco wrote:
I found a backtracking problem that I think it is important that the architect fix:

In Level 9, Thrice North Sence East, there is a green door at the south of the room, with force arrows pointing South. If you go through this green door, you may enter Twice North Sence East before it's conquered. This means you'll get stuck since there's green doors in that room that keep you from clearing the room or going anywhere, and you can't go back through Thrice North Sence East because you can't leave the entryway due to the force arrows.

The way I'd suggest fixing this problem is to just remove those force arrows, since they don't really serve any good or useful purpose.
I made way 2N7E -> 2N6E -> 3N6E

It is version 7-13 from 13th floor.

People who want to play from 1 floor may download version 7 (in first message).

[Last edited by AndrY at 07-26-2012 05:33 AM]
07-26-2012 at 05:20 AM
brian_s
Rank Points: 587
Playing through your hold, I noticed a lack of checkpoints. Many rooms throughout the later levels really need some added, especially level 11 with all the trapdoors/red gate rooms. It is frustrating and infuriating to play through a room and need to start over from the beginning because of a typo.
07-26-2012 at 08:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
da rogu3
Rank Points: 491
There are some nice rooms here, but please can you make sure at some point to play through the hold from start to finish (not in the editor). A lot of the problems mentioned previously (not enough checkpoints, impossible rooms) can easily be fixed this way.
07-26-2012 at 10:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mxvladi
To confirm - the hold is currently conquerable. And for anyone wondering, it's indeed *big*.

There're tons of issues here(backtracking issues, too few checkpoints, some sort-of unintended solutions, some plain boring rooms), but this hold is worth playing: there're some pretty interesting puzzles here, too.

Backtracking issues list:
Click here to view the secret text

Needless to say, they all need to be fixed.

Also, the hold doesn't seem to be masterable: I've explored all rooms in all levels I found, and still have 92% of secrets conquered. Author claims there're secret levels somewhere, but I've checked all staircases, and none of them lead to any secret levels. Perhaps there're secret rooms behind master wall or something?
(EDIT: the latest version is masterable)

EDIT: Chaco noticed that stairs in L18 take you to L21 instead of L19. Might want to fix that.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 07-28-2012 03:19 AM]
07-26-2012 at 11:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
AndrY

File: ?????? ???? by AndrY 8-19.hold (43.9 KB)
Downloaded 28 times.
ŚL1:
secret-room-with-stairs: you get stuck if you take those stairs(and you won't even immediately realise it).

L11:
secret-room-with-stairs: you get stuck if you take those stairs(and you won't even immediately realise it).

L16:
1N 4E, 4N 3E: if you are in either of these rooms, you're stuck. Restore
In my game all is good.

L21:
basically, after completing it you are brought to L16 2N 3E. Exit the stairs there instead of going anywhere or you'll be stuck.

It is normally.

Version 8-19:
In first message version 8.

[Last edited by AndrY at 07-27-2012 10:59 AM]
07-27-2012 at 10:56 AM
brian_s
I have been playing through version 8 the last couple days and have some comments:

Level 1 2S2W: Heading down this staircase takes me to a part of level 16 but there is no way to leave that part without restoring. This is a backtracking issue and needs to be fixed.

Level 2 2S1W: I did not use the orbs at (7,20) and (11,24). What are they for?

Level 5 7S2W: I suggest adding a green door at the south end and to mark this room as not required so that the Level Clear chimes play when the player is ready to go to that room.

Level 7: Did you add a room to this level that I cannot find? I cleared all 13 of the rooms I did last time but the blue door is still closed.

Suggestions for checkpoints:

07-29-2012 at 03:30 PM
AndrY
Level 1 2S2W: Heading down this staircase takes me to a part of level 16 but there is no way to leave that part without restoring. This is a backtracking issue and needs to be fixed.
It is normally.

Level 2 2S1W: I did not use the orbs at (7,20) and (11,24). What are they for?
It is trap.

Level 7: Did you add a room to this level that I cannot find? I cleared all 13 of the rooms I did last time but the blue door is still closed.
There are 15 rooms (2E , 1S2E). How you was playing level 11 in you other message? (I don`t edit 7 floor)

I endeavor make they as few as possible.(I will made some of them in english version, perhaps)

[Last edited by AndrY at 07-29-2012 04:01 PM]
07-29-2012 at 03:46 PM
brian_s
AndrY wrote:
It is normally.
It is a problem. If you want your hold to appear on the Holds board, the Hold Administrators will insist that you find a way to fix the backtracking issue.

AndrY wrote:
There are 15 rooms (2E , 1S2E). How you was playing level 11 in you other message? (I don`t edit 7 floor)
I intentionally started over from the beginning when I downloaded version 8. I already got 2E and 1S2E. The 13 rooms in level 7 I can find are 1S1W, 1N, Entrance, 1S, 2S, 1N1E, 1E, 1S1E, 2S1E, 1N2E, 2E, 1S2E, and 2S2E.

AndrY wrote:
I endeavor make they as few as possible.(I will made some of them in english version, perhaps)
Very bad idea. One reason people quit playing some holds is a lack of checkpoints. I am not the only person that decides that a hold is not worth my time if the architect cannot put in checkpoints. Repeatedly replaying a room because of a mistake after 500 moves typically makes people frustrated.
07-29-2012 at 07:40 PM
mxvladi
AndrY wrote:
It is normally.

It is not normal. It is backtracking issue, there is nowhere to go from that part of level 16, you don't even warn player about it. Do you really think brian_s and me would mention it if it was "normal"?

If you intended it to lead somewhere, make sure that it actually does so. Right now, it doesn't.

I'm not really sure why you're being so unfair to people who play your hold. I'm pretty sure that you have only played your hold in editor, with unlimited undo(at the very least, it's clear that you didn't play your hold from start to an end - such things as impossible room in Level 12 or stairs in Level 18 leading to wrong place would have been caught if you did). Try playing it from start to an end outside the editor, with only 1-move undo, please, and see for yourself how annoying some of rooms are without checkpoints.

While I'm here, I'll also mention that scripting in Level N(whatever the "N" is supposed to mean) 5S 1W is notably bad. Not only it's not clear when the NPC is going to open the door near tunnels(well, perhaps it's clear when russian font is installed; I'm too lazy to do so, so I'll wait until you make english translation), but it gets even worse: if I kill the slayer before NPC opens the door(yes, it's possible), I'm stuck forever. I can't see your scripting, since the hold is "Only-You" editable(which is why you should leave your hold "Anyone" editable, at least while it's in beta), so I can't say what needs to be changed so it works no matter when I kill the slayer, but it should be fixed.

brian_s wrote:
I intentionally started over from the beginning when I downloaded version 8. I already got 2E and 1S2E. The 13 rooms in level 7 I can find are 1S1W, 1N, Entrance, 1S, 2S, 1N1E, 1E, 1S1E, 2S1E, 1N2E, 2E, 1S2E, and 2S2E.

Sounds like you're missing 1W and 1N 1W(you can get to 1W through The Entrance; it doesn't seem to be changed in latest version, either).

[Last edited by mxvladi at 07-30-2012 12:41 PM]
07-29-2012 at 11:44 PM
AndrY
I made it all in english version.

Are you comlited all 22 levls? Is another normally?

What rooms are the most hard?

[Last edited by AndrY at 07-31-2012 03:42 PM]
07-31-2012 at 03:40 PM
brian_s
Suggestions to improve levels 8-15:

Level 8 1N1W: I don't like having to carve through so many secret walls in order to get to 1N and return. Changing the secret walls to crumbly walls would help.

Level 11 1N1W: Same backtracking problem as Level 1 2S2W. This MUST be fixed.

Level 11 1N: I just stood on the green door at the tile I entered on until the serpent died. Is that an unintended solution?

Level 12 1E: I solved it the right way but there is an unintended solution: Smash the wall at (12,10) and I can leave the way I came as soon as I place the mimic. Making that a solid wall would fix the issue.

Level 13 2S3E: What is the queen for? In my solution, I just killed her right away.

Level 14 3S: Is there anything more to this room than just kill the tarmother, kill the rattlers, kill the roach?

Level 15 1S3W: Unintended solution: I did not touch any orbs at all, I killed the tar mother immediately and placed the mimic behind the roach.

Rooms needing checkpoints:

07-31-2012 at 04:55 PM
AndrY
brian_s wrote:
Suggestions to improve levels 8-15:

Level 8 1N1W: I don't like having to carve through so many secret walls in order to get to 1N and return. Changing the secret walls to crumbly walls would help.

Level 11 1N1W: Same backtracking problem as Level 1 2S2W. This MUST be fixed.
I can`t made exits in 1, 11 and 21 rooms, because every players will be go from 1 floor to 21. I made exit only to 1 floor.

Level 11 1N: I just stood on the green door at the tile I entered on until the serpent died. Is that an unintended solution?
I don`t know what do with this room =(

Level 13 2S3E: What is the queen for? In my solution, I just killed her right away.
Red queen or queen in right-down corner ?

Level 14 3S: Is there anything more to this room than just kill the tarmother, kill the rattlers, kill the roach?
OK, I made this room more hard.

Level 15 1S3W: Unintended solution: I did not touch any orbs at all, I killed the tar mother immediately and placed the mimic behind the roach.
"and placed the mimic behind the roach" what is it?

[Last edited by AndrY at 08-01-2012 06:39 AM]
08-01-2012 at 06:39 AM
brian_s
In regards to the Level 1 2S2W and Level 11 1N1W staircases that lead to a portion of level 16, you can fix the backtracking problems that I and mxvladi found by changing the following rooms:
Level 16 4N3E: Add a staircase going back to Level 1 2S2W. (And add a matching entrance location in Level 1 2S2W.)
Level 16 1N4E: Add a staircase going back to Level 11 1N1W. (And add a matching entrance location in Level 11 1N1W.)
Level 16 3N3E: Change the yellow door to a green door and change the orb to a roach.
Level 16 1N3E: Change the yellow door to a green door and change the orb to a roach.

For Level 13 2S3E, I am talking about the roach queen in the lower right.
For Level 15 1S3W, there is an empty space right next to the roach in the SW corner, I just put the mimic there and killed it immediately without opening any doors.

I have finished your hold and the biggest issue is that the Level 20 exit skips level 21 and takes me directly to Level N.

Other Suggestions:
Level 16 Entrance: I do not like that I have to hunt for a secret wall to access the majority of the level. Add a few regular crumbly walls mixed in to hint at the pathway.
Level 17 2S1W: I don't like that I have to drop all those trapdoors a second time in order to take the stairs. Removing the red gate at (18,21)-(19,21) and putting red gates at (11,12) and (11,19) with roaches between them would require only one pass at dropping all the trapdoors.
Level 17 3S1W: I never used the orb at (17,24) and did not use the tunnels in my solution.
Level 17 1W and 1S: When I attempted these rooms some roaches or queens got in with the tar blob, effectively giving me unlimited time to finish the rooms.

Needs Checkpoints:

08-01-2012 at 04:54 PM
AndrY

File: ?????? ???? by AndrY 9r.hold (133.2 KB)
Downloaded 42 times.
brian_s wrote:
In regards to the Level 1 2S2W and Level 11 1N1W staircases that lead to a portion of level 16, you can fix the backtracking problems that I and mxvladi found by changing the following rooms:
Level 16 4N3E: Add a staircase going back to Level 1 2S2W. (And add a matching entrance location in Level 1 2S2W.)
Level 16 1N4E: Add a staircase going back to Level 11 1N1W. (And add a matching entrance location in Level 11 1N1W.)
Level 16 3N3E: Change the yellow door to a green door and change the orb to a roach.
Level 16 1N3E: Change the yellow door to a green door and change the orb to a roach.
OK

For Level 13 2S3E, I am talking about the roach queen in the lower right.
I don`t know, what do with this room :( .

For Level 15 1S3W, there is an empty space right next to the roach in the SW corner, I just put the mimic there and killed it immediately without opening any doors.
Level 17 3S1W: I never used the orb at (17,24) and did not use the tunnels in my solution.
Level 17 1W and 1S: When I attempted these rooms some roaches or queens got in with the tar blob, effectively giving me unlimited time to finish the rooms.
I don`t understand

I have finished your hold and the biggest issue is that the Level 20 exit skips level 21 and takes me directly to Level N.
OK

Level 16 Entrance: I do not like that I have to hunt for a secret wall to access the majority of the level. Add a few regular crumbly walls mixed in to hint at the pathway.
OK

Version 9 in first message

Version 9r for editing
(for people who want to make a lot of checkpoints in my hold)

[Last edited by AndrY at 08-03-2012 05:56 PM]
08-02-2012 at 10:29 AM
navithmastero
Rank Points: 595
Just so you know, to avoid having to post every time you have an update, You can use the Edit/Delete button on the bottom right. :thumbsup

nm

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:

10-03-2012 at 08:29 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : "Eerie Eeriness" Castle (>20 LEVELS and >400 ROOMS)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com