Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : King Josh's Castle (Scripting and Smiting)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

2.3/10 (18 votes)
σ 1.53
Author Name:King Josh
Submitted By:Brainiac1999
Hold Name:King Josh's Castle
Theme:Scripting and Smiting
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:2
Number of Rooms:14
Number of Monsters:48
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:-1 (+1 / -2)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: King Joshs Castle with decorations.hold (5.5 KB)
Downloaded 733 times.
License: Other
icon King Josh's Castle  
Now it is finished.
07-13-2012 at 01:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Shendy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 132
icon Re: King Josh's Castle (0)  
Ah... Well, here are my words for this hold.

Unfortunately, the puzzles in this hold are too easy, at least for me, even the "Experienced Area". Although for new players, I can't say.

In The Castle 1N1E, adding a timer there doesn't change anything by much. It's still... that easy. You just need to move forward every turn.

As I see in this hold, the rooms are still empty-looking. You know, you could just add walls to cover those useless emptiness in the room, and you could make the hold a lot better looking.

I rated this hold 1 for difficulty, and 2 for fun. Of course, it's never too late for you to improve if you are willing to listen to the criticism.
07-13-2012 at 06:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 789
You can always look at other holds that are noted that have good aesthetics.

Some good examples of holds with excellent aesthetics are Chaco's Hold, Terrakept Resonant, Imperial Wandering, etc. You might want to look at those holds and see what they do better than your holds. One basic idea is to fill your rooms with walls and make corridors, instead of empty rooms marked with different floor styles.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
07-21-2012 at 04:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 608
icon Re: King Josh's Castle (+1)  
There were a couple of interesting rooms and interesting ideas, this is an improvement over Beginner's Hold in my mind. Decent attempt at a story.

My main two complaints are the use of force arrows on nearly every entrance (forcing me to restore and conquer the previous room to get my sword orientation correct for minimum moves) and the lack of checkpoints. I mean, I think there was one in the entire hold and it wasn't even in a helpful spot.

05-15-2013 at 05:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
adS
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 214
west.logan wrote:
There were a couple of interesting rooms and interesting ideas, this is an improvement over Beginner's Hold in my mind.

To optimize 1N1W and 2N1W in "The Castle" was interesting - I even managed to improve one :)

My main two complaints are the use of force arrows on nearly every entrance (forcing me to restore and conquer the previous room to get my sword orientation correct for minimum moves) and the lack of checkpoints. I mean, I think there was one in the entire hold and it wasn't even in a helpful spot.

The arrows are an optimizers nightmare, indeed.

adS

Anyway, a decent hold with a funny secret room

I give it 3 and 3

07-13-2013 at 12:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
martz
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 414
icon Re: King Josh's Castle (+2)  
Not much to add here that's already been mentioned, no really interesting rooms, some force arrows on room entrances.

The only real scripting I could see was in The Dungeon: 1N1W and I'm still not sure how it was triggered.

At least it was short...

My Verdict:

Difficulty: 2
Fun: 2

Progress - Gavin G
05-12-2014 at 11:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : King Josh's Castle (Scripting and Smiting) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com