Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Josh's Scripters' Tutorial (Demonstrative)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

1.7/10 (23 votes)
σ 1.22
Author Name:Josh
Submitted By:Brainiac1999
Hold Name:Josh's Scripters' Tutorial
Theme:Demonstrative
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:1
Number of Rooms:4
Number of Monsters:44
Version:DROD: Gunthro and the Epic Blunder (4.0)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:-6 (+0 / -6)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Joshs Scripters Tutorial with scrolls.hold (8.2 KB)
Downloaded 664 times.
License: Other
icon Josh's Scripters' Tutorial  
Noooooo
07-07-2012 at 11:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
da rogu3
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 491
icon Re: Josh's Scripters' Tutorial (0)  
Congratulations, this is a serious contender for the worst hold of 2012 award.
07-07-2012 at 11:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3624
Well, I'll try to provide a bit more constructive commentary.

Yeah, this hold is probably not going to win any awards. And it's a four-room hold with only one room that could be considered a puzzle. But there's a seed of good architecture practice here. 1N, the puzzle room of this hold, represents an honest effort to make a room that can't just be rushed through, and furthermore it explains the scripting here.

Yes, this hold doesn't do much, but it shows that the architect at least understands the scripting system and has good intent with regards to being nice to the player.

So I can't rate this hold a 1 for fun or a 1 in brains in good conscience. Instead I gave it 2 brains and a 3 for fun, because this hold was more fun than some holds which are actively out to annoy or "get" the player.

I'm personally looking forward to King Josh's Castle, which promises to be a more conventional hold that will probably at least earn some appreciation.

07-07-2012 at 11:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3408
icon Re: Josh's Scripters' Tutorial (+1)  
A quick note about the hold description:

It was originally "NoooooooooooooooooooooNoooooooooooooooooooooNooooooooooooooooo" etc. as a joke referencing the "Long Description" field where the text for the first post is entered. Tragically, it wasn't practical for the HA interface, so it needed to get shortened.

It still works reasonably well as an answer to "Should I play this hold?"

07-07-2012 at 11:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
I don't think there's much that can be said about this hold. Chaco put an amazingly positive spin on it. Of course, to do so, he had to leave out the multitude of misspellings; the fact that the two eastern rooms not only don't add anything but they don't make any sense. But it's true that the hold does at least show an understanding of how scripting works; that may not be useful for the player, but it gives some hope for the architect.
07-08-2012 at 02:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
This hold passed HA regulations and already has several highscores, so it will never get deleted. If the hold had spent more time in the Architecture board, it might be better than what it is now. But hey, you were all ready to hit that "submit" button.

Frankly, threatening the forum with the idea of not making new holds is really, really pointless, and will only make you look even worse in their (and my) eyes. None of the holds you have made so far have been so amazingly unique or challenging or clever that losing future holds of yours will represent a severe loss of creativity. Threatening people period is a bad idea, but threatening people by not making low-quality material is worse than empty, and will encourage some people to offend you more.

This is another great chance to show you maturity, Brainiac. Get over your pity party and anger, and use the constructive criticism that *is* here to learn from it. If you can do that, and start putting an honest effort into holds, people will be much more receptive to pointing out the good things in your hold.

tl;dr : this hold is terrible, but if you learn from it and stop making stupid threats, you can go on to make good holds.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
07-08-2012 at 05:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
[Post Deleted] Brainiac1999 wrote:
The professional and seasoned player will probably see this as boring, but the newcomers may actually learn from this. Sorry about the misspellings, but I am pretty sure you know what I meant.
A lot of people have tried to write tutorial holds, and I'm not really sure any of them work as tutorials, because teaching is hard. In this case, my feeling was that the information was mostly a repeat of what was in the help files, without any added information about how to make the things work; so I'm not sure whether newcomers will in fact learn from it. Who knows, though; they might.

The misspellings don't necessarily detract from the player's comprehension, but it gives an impression of non-professionalism and lack of thought. (Imagine buying a computer game and finding that all the trees in the background were upside down--you know what they meant, but that doesn't make it any better.)
[Post Deleted] Brainiac1999 wrote:
Request topic deletion. I wanted it to be deleted, but I was too skittish to ask. Also, remember that if you treat a person badly, the person will remember being treated so badly and will not make any more holds. That being said, I can take in constructive criticism well, but not non-constructive criticism. You can downmod me if you make some advice too. Not that I am restricting, but I am saying that people will make me mad if they don't give constructive criticism. Now, the chance of me making a new hold entirely is jeopardized.
12th Archivist is right that it's too late to delete the hold. I think the key thing here is to look forward: post holds to architecture, get constructive feedback (and ignore any criticism that isn't constructive). Above all, be patient.
07-08-2012 at 06:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Shendy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 132
icon Re: Josh's Scripters' Tutorial (+2)  
Dear Brainiac1999,

I wanted to have some words to you, regarding this hold.

First, this hold is a little bit inaccurate.

I'll list the inaccuracies below:
Click here to view the secret text

Second, the puzzle at 1N is a very simple application of scripting (By the way, Brainiac, did you intend this room as an application of scripting? Just asking.) but it's a bit too simple. By the way, I would like to say several ideas you could do with scripting at the end of this post.

So, all in all, a not very good hold. I rated this hold with 2 for fun and 1 for difficulty. No offense, Brainiac. You can do better than this :). I hope that your next hold is an improvement.

Some ideas for puzzles involving scripting:
1. A 'Neather-like character. He tries to kill you (with monsters behind the door) or block you by opening or closing doors at a certain moment.

2. Puzzles like in the Torture Chamber of TCB. In that level, there are mimic characters which move. They can spin in fixed position(thus it can kill monsters), move forwards and backwards repeatedly (This movement can stab the monsters), etc.

3. See the level called Scripting Museum in Jeffrey's Hold. It's also a good hold.
07-09-2012 at 02:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
icon Re: Josh's Scripters' Tutorial (+4)  
Hey Brainiac,

Speaking as someone who's gone through a very similar path as you have, don't be driven to negativity. The people on this forum really do care about you. They want you to improve. And improve you will.

My first hold, An Event #1, was met with criticism similar to what yours has. In my case, it was because I was too impatient to wait until people had commented on what could be improved. It took me a long time, but I eventually improved, and I went on to release Jeffrey's Hold, which Shendy linked above. And it was a major step above that disaster I released.

What I'm saying is, don't be brought down. Keep your chin up, and follow the advice your peers give you. As the guy who went from making An Event #1 to making Tardustrial Park, Homeward Adventure, Rough Adventure of Budkin and Riddles Within the Below, I can attest that all this will help you become so much better. And the forumites all want you to become better. They'll be there to help you every step of the way. :)

Yours truly,
Jeff_Ray===

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

[Last edited by Jeff_Ray... at 07-09-2012 08:11 PM]
07-09-2012 at 08:10 PM
Gabrieloup
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 3
admin wrote:
Noooooo
Exactly my reaction when playing this hold. Should be called "Noooooo : The Hold"

Unseen like Wind.
Unheard like Earth.
01-08-2015 at 06:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Josh's Scripters' Tutorial (Demonstrative) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com