Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : journey to the palace of sleep. (adding to the Holds board)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

3.8/10 (8 votes)
σ 2.05
Author Name:Vladislav
Submitted By:Vladilav
Hold Name:journey to the palace of sleep.
Theme:adding to the Holds board
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:3
Number of Rooms:41
Number of Monsters:1910
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:0 (+0 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: journey to the palace of sleep.hold (17.6 KB)
Downloaded 647 times.
License: Other
icon journey to the palace of sleep.  
meat in a cafe over and followed him Beehtro..
05-22-2012 at 04:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dischorran
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3406
icon Re: journey to the palace of sleep. (+2)  
This is most definitely a hold.

05-22-2012 at 04:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
icon Re: journey to the palace of sleep. (0)  
I do not like this hold.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
05-22-2012 at 04:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Nope, this is not a favourite hold of mine. Few checkpoint. Lot's of trivial, time consuming work. But there is also a potential of a decent architect. I hope Vladilav takes note that this hold isn't highly apreciated, tries to figure out why, and tries to make rooms that will be apreciated.
05-22-2012 at 06:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
I feel bad from taking firsts in this hold. I'm dirty now.

I wish that man would stay away
05-22-2012 at 07:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
PMIT
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 159
Pretty much nothing but hack and slash rooms here. Fortunately there's at least some variety, but there were a few too many rooms that involved killing many brained golems in a large open area for my liking. Aside from a few rooms, I didn't really notice the lack of checkpoints, although notable was the secret room in second floor...
Click here to view the secret text
That one was just painful.

third floor was the best part of the hold for me, with a decent but unfortunately underutilized theme. There's definitely potential here, but it could use some refining (and extra testing/feedback).

It also seemed like there were some secret walls left in from testing to help get past some of the trapdoor gates. While I was grateful for this, it's probably a bad sign if you need this to travel around the hold quickly. ;)

05-23-2012 at 02:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
I actually like seeing brained golems in this way. However, I think there are actual puzzles that you could make, rather than difficult hack and slash.

I wish that man would stay away
05-23-2012 at 04:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Vladilav
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 82
Blondbeard wrote:
Nope, this is not a favourite hold of mine. Few checkpoint. Lot's of trivial, time consuming work. But there is also a potential of a decent architect. I hope Vladilav takes note that this hold isn't highly apreciated, tries to figure out why, and tries to make rooms that will be apreciated.

I'll try to do better ... Hold)
05-23-2012 at 07:47 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: journey to the palace of sleep. (+1)  
The aesthetics in this hold are pretty good. The oremite passages through the third floor, for instance, hold the level together nicely.

There does indeed, though, as other people have noted, seem to be something of a penchant for brained rock golems. There's nothing wrong with that as a puzzle element, but a little more variety is welcome, or alternately more variations on a theme (rather than just "horde management").

Also, a number of rooms seemed more tedious than interesting: Second Floor: 1S1W, for instance. Rooms where you have to clear out a lot of trapdoors, like Second Floor: 1E and Second Floor: 2S1E, mostly just mean a whole lot of walking around after you've done the interesting part of the puzzle. (That's especially true since the latter isn't high-scoreable: someone has already come in from the entrance with the red gate, thereby registering a one-move solution. Other rooms have conquer tokens near the "exit", which usually ends up meaning conquer tokens near an entrance, which means rooms that are uninteresting high-score-wise.)

Out of fairness, this isn't really all that bad a hold; some of the monotony doesn't really kick in until the second level. But it is a little heavy on horde-management, and might have more unintended/trivial solutions than it should.
05-23-2012 at 08:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : journey to the palace of sleep. (adding to the Holds board) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com