Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Flood Warning (GatEB Bonus Content)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.4/10 (43 votes)
σ 1.66
Author Name:TFMurphy
Submitted By:TFMurphy
Hold Name:Flood Warning
Theme:GatEB Bonus Content
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:6
Number of Rooms:42
Number of Monsters:677
Version:DROD: Gunthro and the Epic Blunder (4.0)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:5 (+9 / -4)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged
icon Flood Warning  
Available free to those who buy the full version of Gunthro and the Epic Blunder, Flood Warning is a relatively challenging hold designed for veteran smitemasters who wish to dive right in and experience the new elements of DROD 4. Set in that same nebulous semi-canon pre-JtRH era as Complex Complex, Beethro will experience exactly what it means when a hold fails to withstand the yearly Onsuary Floods.

Flood Warning began life in early 2011, with only 8 rooms to its name. It was meant simply to show off some of the interactions that had been recently coded and see what puzzles you could make with it. This almost immediately prompted the suggestion that we develop it into a full hold based solely on the new elements. Despite how far it has come since those very early days, you can still find those original 8 rooms - with only slight modifications - within the first main puzzle level of the hold.

As Flood Warning was developed long after most of the levels in GatEB were finished, it was able to take advantage of many of the element interactions that were only finalised in the last few months of development. The difficulty of the hold varies a fair amount based on what each room is trying to teach, but if you've postmastered JtRH or TCB, then you should be able to handle whatever you find in Flood Warning.

I hope you enjoy the hold and our little side story from the Eighth, and I look forward to seeing how it inspires our community of architects.

Development Credits

Almost all the rooms, puzzles, scripting, dialogue and story were designed and written by myself (TFMurphy). This is my first solo endeavour that has actually been published, though I do have a few works hanging around in Architecture, and you might also remember a level of mine in Advanced Concepts.

Many thanks to Jacob, who played through the very first alpha version we were using for element testing, and who designed a couple of rooms on the final floor. He also continued to provide feedback and ideas on various interactions throughout development, and was among those who beta tested the final version. He also setup the voice acting auditions almost single-handedly.

mrimer took on the customary task of voice editing, creating a host of simple files to directly import into the hold. He and Seth also played through the hold during its beta test period, catching a few typos that had slipped through the net.

slimm tom, Schik, Doom were the remaining beta testers, and their feedback was very welcome.

Voice Credits

Beethro Budkin - Snacko
Petri - RabidChild
Stalwart Captain - west.logan
Tuenan Citizen - Chaco
Stalwarts - Chaco, DiMono, Dischorran, Penwielder, west.logan
Guard - west.logan
Goblins - Penwielder, west.logan
Aumtlich - west.logan

[Last edited by mrimer at 04-11-2012 03:39 PM]
04-06-2012 at 08:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 962
icon Re: Flood Warning (+3)  
Just conquered. This is a well-made hold, and it's especially tricky. I recommend it for those who haven't gotten enough to chew from the main course of DROD 4.0. While it is on the short side, it does not hold back on difficulty! :P

10/10, 7 brains.

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

04-07-2012 at 02:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
icon Re: Flood Warning (+2)  
Conquered as well. Definitly recomendable. I particularly found the bit about Tuenans not wanting to get wet amusing. That they have to have a wet-suit, and the story was overall really enjoyable. I really like how aumtlichs work with shallow water, and golems. Still not a fan of water-skippers, though. And I feel mirror-pushing puzzles can be a bit slow.

I actually found the hold surprisingly easy. Guess that happens sometimes. Oh, ad I had hoped we would get a short introduction to who TFMurphey is in the first post (as it have been with some of the previous Smitemasters Selections). No such luck ;)
04-07-2012 at 07:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
icon Re: Flood Warning (0)  
Blondbeard wrote:
Conquered as well. Definitly recomendable. I particularly found the bit about Tuenans not wanting to get wet amusing. That they have to have a wet-suit, and the story was overall really enjoyable. I really like how aumtlichs work with shallow water, and golems. Still not a fan of water-skippers, though. And I feel mirror-pushing puzzles can be a bit slow.

I actually found the hold surprisingly easy. Guess that happens sometimes. Oh, ad I had hoped we would get a short introduction to who TFMurphey is in the first post (as it have been with some of the previous Smitemasters Selections). No such luck ;)
Agreed on all counts. This is one excellent hold so far.

Who is TFMurphy anyway? I want to know more about him.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
04-07-2012 at 07:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1304
icon Re: Flood Warning (+3)  
Belated mastery post. I loved this hold - didn't find it that hard, but it was extremely enjoyable. The exploits of the stalwarts continue to amuse me.
04-08-2012 at 09:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pearls
Rank Points: 767
icon Re: Flood Warning (+7)  
Things I did not like about Flood Warning:

1) Solving the puzzles made me feel smug and subsequently, due to head swelling, was unable to leave my bedroom for a couple hours once.

2) TFMurphy had the raw audacity to make this hold have an end. So rude.

3) The quality and sheer loveliness of this hold made the rest of the world seem bleaker, less interesting. Thanks for making my life a little more grey, TFM, thanks a bundle.

4) Flood Warning reminded me that I am, in fact, not TFMurphy and that in itself is soul-crushing.

[Last edited by Pearls at 04-09-2012 01:59 PM]
04-09-2012 at 01:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228
Flood Warning is an excellent hold. It has great puzzles, beautiful aesthetics, a good story, funny dialogue, and an epic conclusion, all of a quality which SmS holds are known and loved for.

Since this comes for free with GatEB, you can't really go wrong trying it if you own the game. And if you don't own the game, consider this a virtual cherry on top of an already attractive cake, which makes it even more attractive!

10/10
7 brains
04-12-2012 at 03:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
robin
Rank Points: 842
Very good and joyfull hold.
It's a good bonus feature for GatEB.

There were some rooms that I made me strugle and call for help,
but I didn't ask for a demo, so I'm very proud at myself.

One small question:

Thanks Caravel-team

04-13-2012 at 10:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
adS
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 214
Hello everybody,

I have purchased DROD 4.0. However, I can't figure out how to download Flood warning.

Can anybody help?

04-15-2012 at 02:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
icon Re: Flood Warning (+1)  
adS wrote:
Hello everybody,

I have purchased DROD 4.0. However, I can't figure out how to download Flood warning.

Can anybody help?

I can see that you know how to use CaravelNet. Just get your DROD 4 install to connect to CNet and then check out your Holds list in-game. It should show up there.
04-15-2012 at 03:05 PM
adS
Dex Stewart wrote:
adS wrote:
Hello everybody,

Can anybody help?

I can see that you know how to use CaravelNet. Just get your DROD 4 install to connect to CNet and then check out your Holds list in-game. It should show up there.

It doesn't.
This - of course - I have tried already :)

Rainer

04-15-2012 at 03:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
adS
[Post Deleted] mxvladi wrote:
Go to "Profile", select "Purchases" tab there. You should be able to download it from there.

I have already tried this, as well.

Under "Smitemaster's Selections you have access to" appears - nothing.

04-15-2012 at 03:44 PM
Keiya
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 73
Go find the one month cnet email and activate it. That is how the forum knows you've bought GatEB.

Official Hold Progress:

04-15-2012 at 09:28 PM
adS
Keiya wrote:
Go find the one month cnet email and activate it. That is how the forum knows you've bought GatEB.

I have not received any such e-mail.

Rainer

04-15-2012 at 09:51 PM
Dex Stewart
Rank Points: 355
icon Re: Flood Warning (+1)  
Assuming you've checked your spam filter, then really the only thing left to do is contact support. Maybe double check the e-mails that you *have* received to see if it's not one of those.
04-16-2012 at 05:36 PM
Keiya
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 73
It seems like Caravel's email system might be on the fritz...

Official Hold Progress:

04-17-2012 at 12:37 AM
OneMoreNameless
Rank Points: 131
This is an excellent quality hold! The player is thrust straight into the 'dungeon' with a minimal of hassle, but there's still just enough humorous dialogue scattered throughout to reward their progress. The environments are easy to navigate and don't distract from the puzzles, but they still all nicely match the theme and provide some level continuity.

The puzzles themselves each focus on a different feature or interaction of shallows / horns. The methods to solve them are generally straightforward, but the executions involve tricky footwork or forward thinking; this allowing the player to actively learn the ramifications for themselves. I found the difficulty to be rather high (I was out of practice, mind) but never insurmountable due to the simple designs. Variety between puzzle types was good.

There were a scarce few duds. One room involving a wubba and serpent was easy to theorise but a crapshot to pull off. Another involving rings of water skippers relied too heavily on movement order and had me confused / frustrated at one part. The 'boss fight' looked really cool but was extremely tedious to complete.

100% would recommend playing for any purchasers of Gunthro and the Epic Blunder who have existing knowledge of most other puzzle elements. :thumbsup
04-20-2013 at 11:24 AM
martz
Rank Points: 414
After completing GatEB (you can read my post on this if you can be bothered to find it) I moved straight on to this and managed to finish it in a day.

This is a nice little SmS. Story and dialogue are good and up to the usual Caravel standard. There's a good variety of puzzles around the new GatEB elements - I personally found the second level (Ground Support) the easiest, I think because I couldn't go in shallow water on this level it was more like the Drod play I was used to.

I think if you've managed to get through GatEB, you should probably be able to handle this almost straight away.

My Rating:

Difficulty: 6.5
Fun: 9

Progress - Gavin G
02-14-2014 at 02:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
Conquered. Overall, this is a solid hold. The only thing I really disliked was

8/10, would have been a 10 without that room. 7 brains.

Might bump it up to a 9 once the salt from that room wears off, we'll see.

[Last edited by Pinnacle at 12-10-2015 01:40 PM]
12-10-2015 at 03:35 AM
ZebTM
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15

File: 2016-11-05 11_08_58-Start.png (216.5 KB)
Downloaded 74 times.
License: Public Domain
I am subscribed and logged into caravelnet but can't find this hold in the hold list. I've attached a picture of the hold browser. I'm playing the GOG edition of DROD 4.
11-05-2016 at 03:12 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Thanks for buying Gunthro on GOG! Sorry for the confusion. GoG purchases of GatEB do not include the Flood Warning SmS. That's a Caravel Games site-only promotion.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 11-05-2016 10:20 PM]
11-05-2016 at 10:19 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Flood Warning (GatEB Bonus Content) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com