Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The EIGHTH Annual People's Choice Awards: Winners!!! (Welcome to the awards ceremony!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Trickster
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 662
IP: Logged
icon The EIGHTH Annual People's Choice Awards: Winners!!! (+3)  
Congratulations to the winners of :trumpet The Eighth Annual People's Choice Awards (the Deadlies)!

Without further ado, it's time for the awards! Our awesome winners for 2011 are as follows:

:snorkle 1. Best Custom Game Element
And the Deadly goes to.........
Nobody! :facepalm: The only entrant in this category was disqualified.
So, get to work on those custom game elements for 2012!

:borg 2. Design Excellence in a Modification or Addition
Nobody! :facepalm: There were no entrants for this category.
Let's see what sorts of cool tilesets, mods, programs, or tweaks we can come up with in 2012!

:wizard 3. Technical Design Excellence in Scripting
Finding the First Truth (Smitemaster's Selection), by Chaco!

:flowers 4. Technical Design Excellence in Layout and Aesthetics
Archipelago , by Penwielder!
(Aurora's Palace by Jacob finished a close second.)

:bike 5. Technical Design Excellence in Concept
Advanced Concepts 2 (compilation), by Jacob!

:pirate 6. Creative Design Excellence in Storyline

:strongbench 7. Creative Design Excellence in Difficulty
Archipelago , by Penwielder!

:icecream 8. Creative Design Excellence in Entertainment
(Aurora's Palace by Jacob finished a close second.)

:frusty 9. Most Promising Hold or Level Set
The Plague Within (RPG), by Trickster!
:blush Well, damn. Now I guess I have to finish it...
(Conspiracy by Neather2 and Perplexing Puzzles by rogu3/da rogu3 both finished a close second.)

:hooray 10. DROD Hold of the Year
(Advanced Concepts 2 by Jacob finished a close second.)

:thumbsup 11. DROD RPG Level Set of the Year
Nobody! :facepalm: We fully expect to see RPG holds popping up in 2012, however!
(I plan to, at least!)

:music 12. Best Voice Artist in a Distinct Role
Snacko, for Beethro Budkin in Finding the First Truth!

:crockett 13. Novice Architect Award
da Rogu3 (rogu3)! Ever since I personally experienced da Rogu3's entry in the Riddle of the Bar competition, I hungered to see more. Both da Rogu3's recent hold (Mystical Palace) and his current project (Perplexing Puzzles) are amazingly well-designed for a newcomer to the Caravel community, and he has quickly gained a reputation for tricky and novel puzzles. We're lucky and grateful to have him on board. Congratulations da Rogu3!

:stud 14. Erik Hermansen Award for Lifetime Architectural Achievement
Chaco (George Wanfried)! It should be no surprise that Chaco takes the award, given the fact his Smitemaster's Selection won nearly half the Deadlies this time around! In addition to two compilation holds, Chaco produced four top-notch holds in 2007 to early 2008: Chaco's Hold, Terrakempt Resonant, Imperial Wandering, and Fireballs. His return in 2011, with Finding the First Truth, has the highest honor of being chosen as a Smitemaster's Selection. Chaco also has an RPG hold (Fetch the Pie) he's been working on for over a year now that many of us are itching to play. The DROD community is far better off for having known him, so we proudly welcome him to the halls of our most esteemed architects, sharing a place with Doom (2006), LarryMurk (2007), Jacob (2008), BoyBlue (2009), and Rheb (2010) as recipient of the Erik Hermansen Award for Lifetime Architectural Achievement. Congratulations Chaco!

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the community in 2011 and voted in the poll this month! Even being nominated is an honor, and those of you who devote time and energy into making something that the rest of us can enjoy and appreciate are deserving of our kudos.

See you next year for 2012, and keep building! :D

P.S. I don't know if TPTB can give Rank Points to the winners (other than me), but that would be a nice contribution.

Also, feel free to use this thread for long victory speeches where you imitate Sally Field or Kanye West. (Now Chaco, I'm real happy for you an Imma let you finish, but Saul Glasman is one of the best architects of all time...)

Official Hold Progress
Click here to view the secret text

Favorite Unofficial Holds (I need to play more!)

My Holds

03-25-2012 at 11:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: The EIGHTH Annual People's Choice Awards: Winners!!! (0)  
Trickster wrote:
(Now Chaco, I'm real happy for you an Imma let you finish, but Saul Glasman is one of the best architects of all time...)
Hey, The Oversight was a great hold! :V

03-25-2012 at 11:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
icon Re: The EIGHTH Annual People's Choice Awards: Winners!!! (+6)  
Well, to echo something I said three years ago (wow, has it really been that long?): I must be doing something right.

As you all know, making DROD holds at all is a lot of work, and debugging them is even tougher. As many people can independently attest, the big four holds spent a lot of time in development and had to go through many, many revisions before they were done. Finding the First Truth was no exception - I built the hold in 2008, around the time the holds that would eventually become Suit Pursuit and Elusive Exhibitions were also first built. Suffice to say the hold took a while to reach its final form, for many good reasons.

I suppose what I'm trying to get at here is that it took a lot of hard work for me to get this far. Six years is an awfully long time to devote to any sport or hobby, let alone a puzzle game. And it definitely wasn't six years spent coasting - I've been solving tricky puzzles, arranging pixels, writing down tons of ideas, throwing out rooms, scrambling to fix unintended solutions, and losing important arguments about the viscosity of tar. But it's been a fun ride the whole time and I feel like I got a lot out of it too.

Here's to six more years!

03-26-2012 at 12:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
Congratulations Chaco, you really do deserve this. Lots of promising stuff from others, Penwielder and da rogu3 especially.

[Last edited by west.logan at 03-26-2012 02:22 AM]
03-26-2012 at 02:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: The EIGHTH Annual People's Choice Awards: Winners!!! (+1)  
Congratulations to all of this year's winners! :)

Chaco, congratulations on receiving your lifetime achievement award. I've set you up with lifetime CaravelNet service.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
03-26-2012 at 05:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Neather2
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 406
I'd like to say Congrats! to all winners too. It is the first time I have joined this, and I hope I'll be here again next time. :)

Conspiracy, my new hold, has just been released.
03-28-2012 at 03:20 PM
Suwako
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 145
icon Re: The EIGHTH Annual People's Choice Awards: Winners!!! (+1)  
Congratulations Chaco, you are a very nice person, helping me and as i saw, others in architecture board, I think the most friendly I've ever know.

03-29-2012 at 09:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Penwielder
Rank Points: 628
"Hm, that's three years in a row I've won awards at this here People's Choice Awards. I must be doing something right," said Chaco, three years ago. Today, I'm thinking much the same thing.

I'm a little more surprised at the results this year than in previous years, though, since the only hold I published this time around is inaccessible to all but the most determined. Only four users with CaravelNet have conquered the hold, and that includes both myself and one other beta tester who never uploaded his scores--so I could really say there are only two conquerors on CaravelNet. This doesn't necessarily make the award for difficulty surprising, but the award for aesthetics? Really, how many people have seen the last three islands, even with map.php?

As for this next year, well, I don't really know what I'll do, but I'm excited anyway. I have two projects in good standing right now, either of which could be ready for Architecture in a week's time if I got motivated. Each has special reasons for not being particularly affected by the release of GatEB, so I'm not in a hurry.

Anyway, thanks to all who voted. Special thanks to Trickster for taking up the responsibility of running the awards.

Also, mrimer, I know you're quite busy lately, but don't forget the rank point awards, even if you don't get to it for a while.

03-30-2012 at 10:02 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The EIGHTH Annual People's Choice Awards: Winners!!! (Welcome to the awards ceremony!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com