Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Bavato's Dungeon (Assorted puzzles and a story)
Page 2 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.1/10 (65 votes)
σ 2.48
Author Name:Wesley Chua
Submitted By:agaricus5
Hold Name:Bavato's Dungeon
Theme:Assorted puzzles and a story
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:16
Number of Rooms:227
Number of Monsters:8973
Version:DROD: Architect's Edition
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:10 (+14 / -4)
Poster Message
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
IP: Logged
icon Re: Bavato's Dungeon (0)  
If you download the new version, you don't need savegames - just go to the room behind you when you start and you can skip directly to level 3.

[Edited by eytanz at Local Time:09-21-2004 at 06:52 PM]

09-20-2004 at 05:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Few things about current version

-There seems to be no way to enter level 14
-Other stairs in level 11 end the hold. (Heh, I got editable version :P)
-It says 12.5 in warp room, but the level is after 11th level.

I've peeked at few of the later rooms (damn me :)) and I must say that you've made some INSANE ROOMS! If you've completed them all by yourself you're pretty great Drodder :strongbench

A note : I'm not in level 11 yet. But I did accidentally complete it O:-

[Edited by Doom at Local Time:09-23-2004 at 05:42 PM]
09-23-2004 at 05:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jjohn7418
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 161
Okay, is there a trick to the entrance on level 3, or is it just a point of a lot of sword swings? :medieval

Please help me!

Thanks, Jim
:throw

09-23-2004 at 06:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Obob
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 16
The only trick to the entrance to level 3 is to notice that the queens will not spawn roaches on the open gate tiles. You can exploit this to make the area much easier.
09-23-2004 at 06:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Bavato's Dungeon (+1)  
Doom wrote:
Few things about current version

-There seems to be no way to enter level 14

I'm pretty sure there is. Look carefully at the end of L13.

-Other stairs in level 11 end the hold. (Heh, I got editable version :P)

Oh dear. That's not good. It must definitely be the nasty stairs reset bug again. I think I'll report it to Mike.

Well, you've "completed" the hold to a point. But, you've probably missed the entire storyline, not to mention most of my complicated rooms.

-It says 12.5 in warp room, but the level is after 11th level.

It's technically between L12 and L13 (L12 can only be accessed from the editor or the warp room).

I've peeked at few of the later rooms (damn me :)) and I must say that you've made some INSANE ROOMS! If you've completed them all by yourself you're pretty great Drodder :strongbench

I've never done it all in one sitting, but all the rooms in L13 I have completed separately before.

Well, I hope you will have a go at playing some of those rooms, although I suspect that Anyone Edit status may make you more complacent/apathetic about it than usual.

Please do be aware that this is a bug, and I will fix it immediately.

Edit - And I have!

The bug should now have been fixed.

[Edited by agaricus5 at Local Time:09-23-2004 at 09:59 PM]

09-23-2004 at 09:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Ok, the stairs in A.S are working in your hold. It's just that in my copy (...) A.S stairs had resetted to end hold.

Don't worry, I'll play it when I want some hard rooms. But I'm thinking about skipping few last rooms of level 7 and moving to level 8.

09-24-2004 at 05:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
A very strange Stairs Reset bug re-crept back in somewhere, and have made the final stairs go to the current level, rather than end the hold. It's been fixed, but no-one needs to update (unless you want to), since no other stairs appear affected.

If anyone comes across it when they try to finish the hold, and would like an Anyone Edit copy, just send me a demo of you in L14 14E by email, and I'll send you the hold.

By the way, if anyone is getting confused about the most recent versions of Bavato's Dungeon, like in a thread I noticed somewhere recently, then look at the number attached to the hold. The versions ar numbered in order of release, so the most recent copy has the highest number. If you have a copy of a lower number than the one on this thread, then you have an older copy.

[Edited by agaricus5 at Local Time:10-14-2004 at 07:53 PM]

10-12-2004 at 11:47 PM
agaricus5
Update:

L13 1S 6E is, unfortunately, unsolvable, as discovered in a help topic, which is rather upsetting.

I have fixed the problem now, and am getting rather irritated with myself for having so many problems in the hold unfixed and unsolved.

So, if you have reached L13 and have made considerable progress, then I first apologise, and then advise you to try out the procedure mentioned in the opening post.

11-03-2004 at 12:28 PM
Crazy Ivan
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 38
I'm sorry but I'm pretty certain that the updated room is again unsolvable, please see the thread in the help section for more details.

kind regards,

Michael
11-06-2004 at 11:18 PM
agaricus5
Crazy Ivan wrote:
I'm sorry but I'm pretty certain that the updated room is again unsolvable, please see the thread in the help section for more details.

kind regards,

Michael

The room should be solvable. See the help thread for a hint.

11-06-2004 at 11:47 PM
Crazy Ivan
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 38
agaricus5 wrote:
The room should be solvable. See the help thread for a hint.
Indeed it is. False alarm, everybody. Terribly sorry.

kind regards,

Michael

11-07-2004 at 12:39 AM
agaricus5
Sorry everyone.

This, I hope is the last required update, since L13 appears to have been entirely debugged by Crazy Ivan (3E is solvable, by the way), and L14 should be entirely solvable.

If anyone has completed most of L13 (around 15-18 rooms), and wants an Anyone-Edit copy of this hold, please send me either your victory demos for the completed rooms, or a picture (or more than one) of your minimap to show me the rooms you have completed, and a copy of the hold version you are using, which should be "Bavato48/49Final.hold".

So, I apologise for this string of assorted unpleasant, inconvenient and rather embarassing bugs. Thanks, everyone for being so patient with me, and hopefully, the threat of uncompletable rooms will no longer repel you from playing this hold.

11-14-2004 at 06:03 PM
Krishh
Rank Points: 282
A somewhat trivial solution fot L2 entrance:
Click here to view the secret text

Then, again, maybe the intended solution was easier than this method.
11-17-2004 at 07:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Krishh wrote:
A somewhat trivial solution fot L2 entrance:

Then, again, maybe the intended solution was easier than this method.

That's rather innovative, although I guess it did take quite a bit of effort to do. You are correct about the initial solution, and I'd say yours is a bit easier than the original. Still, it's quite tricky to do anyway, since you need to dodge a serpent or two in some narrow spaces, so I'm going to leave it as it is.

It's a cool alternative, though.

Edit (27/03/05): Bug ignored for 1.6, but fixed for 2.0

[Edited by agaricus5 at Local Time:03-27-2005 at 11:32 PM]

11-17-2004 at 08:17 PM
eytanz
icon Re: Bavato's Dungeon (+2)  
Ok, I've finally found the time to start playing Bavato's again, and I've re-reached level 6 (it's been a while since I left it and I wanted to replay what I already did, because some of it was changed). Anyway, L6 1N2E seems to have a trivial solution:

12-30-2004 at 06:36 PM
agaricus5
eytanz wrote:
Ok, I've finally found the time to start playing Bavato's again, and I've re-reached level 6 (it's been a while since I left it and I wanted to replay what I already did, because some of it was changed). Anyway, L6 1N2E seems to have a trivial solution:

12-30-2004 at 07:51 PM
eytanz

12-30-2004 at 10:07 PM
agaricus5
eytanz wrote:
Oh, right.

Well, I'm not sure it is possible to complete the room if you step off the doors, and with the way the room is built right now, I don't think I can really "fix" this room in 1.6.

Still, thanks for pointing it out anyway. I'll keep this in mind just in case I want to edit anything for 1.7.

Edit (27/03/05): Bug ignored for 1.6/2.0

[Edited by agaricus5 at Local Time:03-27-2005 at 11:31 PM]

12-30-2004 at 10:18 PM
agaricus5
A note:

L9 1N 1W is not completable in JtRH, for it relies on the Brain pathmap not resetting after you step off a force arrow.

This will be fixed for the 2.0 version of the hold.

Edit: Changed version from 1.7 to 2.0.

[Edited by agaricus5 at Local Time:01-02-2005 at 10:26 PM]

Edit (28/03/05): Room changed for 1.6, and fixed for 2.0.

[Edited by agaricus5 at Local Time:03-28-2005 at 12:02 PM]

01-01-2005 at 04:41 PM
eytanz
icon Re: Bavato's Dungeon (+2)  
Side note, to prevent future confusion:

The next version of the DROD engine (the one that runs JtRH) is 2.0, not 1.7.

1.7 was the name for the development branch, but the version that's going to be released (and the one the testers are testing) is 2.0.

I don't think this was ever made particularly clear by anyone on the dev team, which is why I'm posting this here.

01-02-2005 at 05:17 PM
agaricus5
After playing L10 1S 4E once more in JtRH, I began to get the feeling that somehow, this room is trivial. I can't see the solution, but I feel my own method is far too inefficient to be the optimal one, and that someone, somewhere, must have found it by now.

Has anyone completed this room with a solution of under 700-800 moves? If you have, or gotten near such a figure, could you tell me how you completed it, and if you thought it was trivial or not?

01-06-2005 at 11:45 PM
Slug
Rank Points: 122

File: BD Level 10 Halls of Mimicry 1S4E Victory.demo (1.6 KB)
Downloaded 113 times.
License: Other
icon Re: Bavato's Dungeon (+5)  
agaricus5 wrote:
Has anyone completed this room with a solution of under 700-800 moves? If you have, or gotten near such a figure, could you tell me how you completed it, and if you thought it was trivial or not?

After replaying that room a bit more efficiently I got move count of 675... and I don't think it was too trivial when I first completed it.

Demo can tell more than 100 words so I'll attach one instead of writing.
01-07-2005 at 11:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
That's certainly a trivial solution, although I was expecting it to be a bit like that.

But I guess that the intended solution (compared to this) was far too difficult to be fair at all.

I'll certainly tweak this a bit to make it more like what I intended for 2.0, but I won't try to enforce the original.

Thanks, Slug.

Edit (28/03/05): Bug fixed for 1.6/2.0.

[Edited by agaricus5 at Local Time:03-28-2005 at 12:06 PM]

01-07-2005 at 12:18 PM
agaricus5
Probably the final update to this thread before 2.0, but I've just added the ending text to the bottom of the first post of this thread, just in case you've been hit by the reset bug and are wondering what the ending said.

It's not much of an ending, though, so you may be a little disappointed.

01-08-2005 at 09:27 PM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Woohoo! I finally managed to beat L6 1S1E. I also had 2 potions to spare like Stefan (I think it was him) managed to do as well. Relied on total fluke and about a million attempts. I'm not even really sure how you could do it with more potions.. is this room actually solveable without a lot of luck?
01-10-2005 at 08:27 AM
agaricus5
TripleM wrote:
Woohoo! I finally managed to beat L6 1S1E. I also had 2 potions to spare like Stefan (I think it was him) managed to do as well. Relied on total fluke and about a million attempts. I'm not even really sure how you could do it with more potions.. is this room actually solveable without a lot of luck?

[Edited by agaricus5 at Local Time:01-10-2005 at 05:25 PM]

[Edited by agaricus5 at Local Time:01-20-2005 at 09:03 PM]

01-10-2005 at 04:50 PM
techant
Rank Points: 854
O.K. unlike the rest of you I am still on level 2 and I just do not get how to get that wraithwing in 2S to move correctly. :~(

I think I need to move the wraithwing, over to the snake on the upper left platform first but I can't get it past either wall on either side. Help before I just want to give up in frustration. :throw

[Edited by techant at Local Time:01-20-2005 at 09:41 AM: clarity]

01-20-2005 at 09:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
techant wrote:
O.K. unlike the rest of you I am still on level 2 and I just do not get how to get that wraithwing in 2S to move correctly. :~(

I think I need to move the wraithwing, over to the snake on the upper left platform first but I can't get it past either wall on either side. Help before I just want to give up in frustration. :throw

[Edited by techant at Local Time:01-20-2005 at 09:41 AM: clarity]
Did you try the Hints and Solutions Board?

This thread may help you:

http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=3315

01-20-2005 at 08:54 PM
agaricus5
agaricus5 wrote:
I had a look, but I obviously didn't discuss it properly, as I couldn't find anything.

[Edited by agaricus5 at Local Time:01-20-2005 at 09:10 PM]

01-20-2005 at 09:09 PM
techant
Rank Points: 854
Thanks agaricus5 for the recommendation about the other forum area. I thought that the helps were usuall here but I see that I was wrong. That is some kind of use of movement. If there is ever a contest asking for the best use of monster movement you would win it with that room. :thumbsup

Is it an original idea? and how did you come up with it?

01-23-2005 at 02:58 AM
Page 2 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Bavato's Dungeon (Assorted puzzles and a story)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com