Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Press Clippings : Decent DROD Let's Play
Page 3 of 7
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Blondbeard
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1486
IP: Logged
icon Re: Decent DROD Let's Play (0)  
No, I think it's safe to say that a lot of us love A Quiet Place. It was the first user made hold I played. And it's tough. If you can play A Quit Place you can probably play everything there is.
03-20-2012 at 05:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3408
icon Re: Decent DROD Let's Play (+2)  
Blondbeard wrote:
A Quit Place
Yeah, that's about how it went with me.

03-20-2012 at 06:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
icon Re: Decent DROD Let's Play (+1)  
Pearls wrote:
So...it absolutely won't work with a TCB engine?

In other news, a hold no one suggested is going to start trickling onto my channel - the first couple videos are up.

I picked A Quiet Place. It's...really enjoyable, but maybe the theme of it jives with me.

Either way, it's quite a lot of videos, so I won't have it all posted for some time yet, but it's there if anyone's bored enough to watch them.

inb4 "oh no not that hold..."

Yes, it most definitely, absolutely does not work with TCB. If you try it in TCB, your computer will catch fire.
03-20-2012 at 12:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
If you try it in TCB the cleverness will be spoiled :)
03-20-2012 at 01:05 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
It's still a fun hold, but we wouldn't get to see you running around like a chicken with its head removed, and what fun would it be otherwise?

03-20-2012 at 01:53 PM
Pearls
Rank Points: 767
On an unrelated note, there's a new LP up that no one should watch of a game that's pretty much the best thing ever.

Udder. Genius.

Click here to view the secret text

03-21-2012 at 05:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Jatopian wrote:
like a chicken with its head removed
Like this?

:D

np: Photek - Love & War (Form & Function Vol. 2)

03-21-2012 at 05:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
Pearls wrote:
On an unrelated note, there's a new LP up that no one should watch of a game that's pretty much the best thing ever.

Udder. Genius.

That was amusing.

03-21-2012 at 06:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
On the basis of the latest LP, I have a new hold suggestion:
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

03-22-2012 at 03:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
icon Re: Decent DROD Let's Play (+2)  
So... using the software Pears is using I managed to record my playing of DROD RPG. Still not sure it will be worthwhile though. Check it out if you want to (nothing much happens in the first episode, certanly no choises).
03-31-2012 at 06:26 AM
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
Blondbeard:

I think that it would be worthwhile. I've struggled with the RPG games because I don't think I understand what I'm supposed to do yet. Am I supposed to backtrack three levels to kill an enemy and pick up 30 points of health or should I have done it earlier? There are tons of choices and it would be welcome to watch someone play through it who knows what they are doing and can explain choices as they go along.

03-31-2012 at 01:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Rank Points: 354
The commentary is going to be the most important. The viewer will learn more when you make mistakes, so just do a straight run through.

I wish that man would stay away
03-31-2012 at 03:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Well... That's not how I play the game. I usually save at certain points, scout ahead without much regard for doing things optimally, then I might do a trial-run to see if a certain idea is possible, and then I do the actual run. Then I save, and repeat the process. That's how I usually play the game, and I won't take you with me all of the steps, just the actual progression part.

Of course I could skip exploring ahead and do a straight run, and ocasionally have to load from a previous location, but that is not how I usually play the game. Anyway I have now posted two more parts, and if you think I skip out on the importent stuff in the video, just tell me. I may very well do a straight run if that is what you want :)
03-31-2012 at 07:21 PM
Blondbeard
It was fun watching through the A Quiet Place videos :) And you are almost done. Just a couple more rooms. Anyway... judging from the coment on not wanting the mimic to save your life I'm kind of unsure if you would actually like Tar Gate Stronghold. Of course it could be one of those love/hate comments you make sometimes. You seem to have a quite twisted relation to the game :P Also I don't get how you can be so briliant regarding some aspects, while not quite as briliant regarding others. Really impressed by the way you do trapdoor puzzles.

Totaly unrelated: some coment about how I should progress with a Let's Play of Tendry's Tale would be great. In the next part I think I'll get a bit nerdy, and talk about optimization.

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 04-05-2012 09:13 PM]
04-05-2012 at 09:12 PM
Pearls
Blondbeard. Actually, I think it's pretty funny too. Most good hold architects aren't optimizers. Most people who optimize don't build holds very well. I love me some trap doors and tar, but dear lord monster hordes wreck my face. And most things. Especially serpents. It's all part of this fun drod community we have, all having our quirks and specialties. Like LarryMurk. I can spot one of his rooms a mile away. I think it's neat that these differences express themselves so cleanly and clearly (occasionally) via DROD.

Someone should make a personality test based upon what they are and are not good at in DROD.

"Oh, you think keeping track of serpent movement is dandy? Off to the loony bin with you."

04-05-2012 at 11:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Have you actually seen the fabled serpent clock? I paticularily like Jutts clock using game elements.. When you always know if serpent prefer to go up/dow or left/right things tend to get a bit easier also I would refer to this, Rabscuttles unfinished serpent tutorials. Spend three minutes in this hold, and you will save tons of time later on.
04-06-2012 at 03:15 AM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Blondbeard wrote:
Totaly unrelated: some coment about how I should progress with a Let's Play of Tendry's Tale would be great. In the next part I think I'll get a bit nerdy, and talk about optimization.
Just watched LP #3 and I must say it was very informative. I personally would like more information about/view into how you make these calculations and why you decide that something is a good idea (or a bad one). I wouldn't mind seeing the scooping ahead either :).

You did some controversial decisions in the shield room and the room before it ;).

04-06-2012 at 06:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Thanks for the feedback! Should I in that case make a part 2.5 were I take you through the scouting?

Hmm... Maybe I should make a separate topic, instead of hijacking this one.

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 04-06-2012 06:50 AM]
04-06-2012 at 06:49 AM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Blondbeard wrote:
Thanks for the feedback! Should I in that case make a part 2.5 were I take you through the scouting?
Nah, I think that will be enough, just include it in the future episodes :).
So far what I saw was very enlightening. I have noticed that you don't kill enemies which are not required at the moment. Will you be going for the

Blondbeard wrote: Hmm... Maybe I should make a separate topic, instead of hijacking this one.
Oh yes, please do!

04-06-2012 at 09:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
martz
Rank Points: 414
Okay, so I've watched all the videos for:

KDD 2.0
JtRH
Tunnel Vision
Compass Point
A Quiet Place

I'm not going to bother with the two newest ones as I haven't played those holds myself.

I found the videos very enjoyable - your voice does not grate (which is very important) and I thought the balance between speaking and not was fine. There were some unintentionally funny moments - normally along the lines of you explaining how a room isn't difficult at all shortly before dying or getting stuck and having to restart. I did get frustrated a number of times due to your DROD skills (or lack thereof) but then I probably played the holds as badly as this when I first started out.

Anyway, I'd definately recommend anyone to watch these - well worth the time and effort involved.

Progress - Gavin G
04-18-2012 at 10:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Pearls
martz wrote:
Okay, so I've watched all the videos for:

KDD 2.0
JtRH
Tunnel Vision
Compass Point
A Quiet Place

I'm not going to bother with the two newest ones as I haven't played those holds myself.

I found the videos very enjoyable - your voice does not grate (which is very important) and I thought the balance between speaking and not was fine. There were some unintentionally funny moments - normally along the lines of you explaining how a room isn't difficult at all shortly before dying or getting stuck and having to restart. I did get frustrated a number of times due to your DROD skills (or lack thereof) but then I probably played the holds as badly as this when I first started out.

Anyway, I'd definately recommend anyone to watch these - well worth the time and effort involved.

Thanks for the kind words (and the honest ones)! I'm the first to admit I'm not that great at this game, and believe me, no one gets more frustrated at my lack of skill than I do, but it's still a lot of fun trying. As for the two holds I'm uploading right now (Beethro's Brain, Terrakept Resonant) both are exquisite and I highly suggest you give them a whirl. :)

04-18-2012 at 02:48 PM
PigmyWubba
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 151
icon Re: Decent DROD Let's Play (+8)  
I feel so special =p

I found pearls as his fourth subscriber(mrnetherhound on youtube).

04-21-2012 at 03:43 AM
Pearls
PigmyWubba wrote:
I feel so special =p

I found pearls as his fourth subscriber(mrnetherhound on youtube).

Oh my god this guy was pretty much the only person that encouraged me to keep making my series in its infancy! Pretty sure with out you, I would've given up hope a long time ago and this forum would've never been privvy to my antics! Thank you, so much!

[Last edited by Pearls at 04-21-2012 04:32 AM]
04-21-2012 at 04:28 AM
Blondbeard
Urgh! Having watched a segment of Beethro's Brain I urge you once again: would you please invest a few minutes into this hold (it's a tutorial about serpents). I promise that it is an investment that will pay itself back with pleanty of interest. Also would you please be willing to install a serpent clock. I think the one Jutt made looks very nice. Up to you, of course :P
04-21-2012 at 05:49 AM
Dischorran
Aw, I enjoyed that segment. :)
(Maybe a little too much.)

[Last edited by Dischorran at 04-21-2012 06:11 AM]
04-21-2012 at 06:11 AM
Pearls
icon Re: Decent DROD Let's Play (+6)  
Blondbeard wrote:
Urgh! Having watched a segment of Beethro's Brain I urge you once again: would you please invest a few minutes into this hold (it's a tutorial about serpents). I promise that it is an investment that will pay itself back with pleanty of interest. Also would you please be willing to install a serpent clock. I think the one Jutt made looks very nice. Up to you, of course :P

Two things.

1) I understand serpents and most of the techniques involved in manipulating them. I'm not clever enough or patient enough to really do extensive planning when there are more than one, generally, but that's not my point. I can read my own clock just fine, because I can count to six.

2) According to my video recorder, I made both the videos involved in earlyish BB on April 2nd, a day after GATEB came out, which was before your first post about Jutt's clock. I just never got around to encoding them for a long because I had other games to play and I can't DROD and encode on my little laptop.

To that effect, I've gotten quite a bit better dealing with serpents since you made your comment, but in general, they aren't exactly my favorite puzzle element in their non-tunnelized format.

So I apologize for frustrating you, but your frustration probably pales in comparison to my own at that time, and I think I handle the rest of the hold with a deftness and agility you might appreciate, barring a couple exceptions.

EDIT: This might be of interest to you.

[Last edited by Pearls at 04-21-2012 06:16 PM]
04-21-2012 at 05:34 PM
Blondbeard
I feel so calm :lol I really hope you're joking about how mad and frustrated I became. Anyway... I apreciate that you have gained the knowledge which took me years to achive. Good job!

By the way: Does the encoder sometimes mess up for you as well? It's a bit frustrating having let it run for an hour only to get an error report once it finnishes :( (that I do find frustrating, for real). And sometimes the sound did not record and I had to reboot my computer.

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 04-21-2012 07:40 PM]
04-21-2012 at 07:35 PM
Pearls
Blondbeard wrote:
I feel so calm :lol I really hope you're joking about how mad and frustrated I became. Anyway... I apreciate that you have gained the knowledge which took me years to achive. Good job!

By the way: Does the encoder sometimes mess up for you as well? It's a bit frustrating having let it run for an hour only to get an error report once it finnishes :( (that I do find frustrating, for real). And sometimes the sound did not record and I had to reboot my computer.

Yes and no, but I've found a few ways to limit these problems.

Depending on if I've recently unplugged or toyed around with my mic, the recorder may not recognize it yet. I have gained the habit of snapping my fingers on the main dashboard to see if the mic symbol is picking up anything. Since then, I've never had that happen.

I think the non-encoding bug is something to do with the fact that this is a trial product, and only SP1, when there are quite a few more past that. It's unfortunate, and it happens, but it's rare for me. 1 in maybe 15 or so. I find it happens less when I'm doing as little as possible on my laptop. Let's just say I've read a lot of books lately. Would this maybe be better with a different encoder? Probably, but the benefits from using this software (for me) outweigh my lack of desire to find something else that's as handy, without the occasional encode error. If you find something, let me know.

EDIT
Your encoder takes an hour to run? That's intense, and I'm on a pretty terrible computer.

Things to consider: I have my recorder record at 15 FPS, and the quality is less than 100, and my bitrate is 30000 I think, because it's drod and turn based. Also, that screen recording dashboard, for me, for whatever reason is a HUGE resource hog. Try not to have the encoder and the recorder dashboard open together.

[Last edited by Pearls at 04-21-2012 07:54 PM]
04-21-2012 at 07:48 PM
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
Blondbeard wrote:
By the way: Does the encoder sometimes mess up for you as well
I sometimes run into my own encoder problems, but not your problems. See, sometimes I record something and send it to the encoder. The encoder suddenly runs into some critical error and requires a restart. (This has cause more than one close call and a fair bit of rage where I thought I lost a recording. Sometimes I do, since the recording dashboard occasionally deletes my recordings just after I send one to the encoder.)

Does something like this ever happen to you, Pearls?

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
04-21-2012 at 08:17 PM
Pearls
12th Archivist wrote:
Blondbeard wrote:
By the way: Does the encoder sometimes mess up for you as well
I sometimes run into my own encoder problems, but not your problems. See, sometimes I record something and send it to the encoder. The encoder suddenly runs into some critical error and requires a restart. (This has cause more than one close call and a fair bit of rage where I thought I lost a recording. Sometimes I do, since the recording dashboard occasionally deletes my recordings just after I send one to the encoder.)

Does something like this ever happen to you, Pearls?

That? Nope.

04-21-2012 at 09:06 PM
Page 3 of 7
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Press Clippings : Decent DROD Let's Play
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com