Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Press Clippings : Decent DROD Let's Play
Page 2 of 7
3456>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
MHighbrow
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 153
IP: Logged
icon Re: Decent DROD Let's Play (+1)  
Pearls wrote:
Someone mentioned Perfection, which would make sense from a timeline perspective if the description isn't lying to me. I'm not afraid of hard work, and as clumsy and occasionally very dumb as I am in a few of the videos, all we ever share with each other are demos generally. You try winging half those rooms on the first try while trying to hold a conversation. It's tricky! (or I'm really just terrible.)

Look at me, getting all defensive!
Oh! Er, yeah, Perfection is the next canonical hold in the DROD timeline (it goes JtRH -> Perfection -> Beethro's Teacher -> Master Locks -> TCB), but it's pretty hard since it requires good knowledge of monster movement like how serpents decide on their next move. If you've done Advanced Concepts you should be fine, but it's something to bear in mind.

I should get on watching your videos.

[Last edited by MHighbrow at 03-13-2012 08:46 PM]
03-13-2012 at 08:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Jacob
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3741
icon Re: Decent DROD Let's Play (0)  
Wow, mad props for doing KDD 15 1S2W on the first attempt.

That was a room I could never do without a step-by-step walkthrough. Though maybe I wouldn't struggle with it as much nowadays.

03-14-2012 at 11:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pearls
Rank Points: 767
icon Re: Decent DROD Let's Play (+2)  
To be fair it wasn't my first attempt. I'd played through most of KDD a few years ago and I remember my general strategy for that one. I was kind of lucky that my vague recollection of what I was supposed to do worked out so smoothly...

Click here to view the secret text

03-14-2012 at 02:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pearls
icon Re: Decent DROD Let's Play (+6)  
P.S. My LP of Tunnel Vision is finished and on my Youtube channel. Enjoy!

03-15-2012 at 04:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
This is super-cool! I love that you're doing these. For my own self-indulgent reasons, can I request a LP of my hold Compass Point? The hold is shorter than Tunnel Vision, so it should go quickly if you choose to tackle it. Don't read anything about the hold before-hand!

03-15-2012 at 05:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pearls
Uh, sure! I haven't even heard of it until you mentioned it here, so you're safe. I was considering Beethro's Brain, too after a discussion with Dischorran, but I can do both.

03-15-2012 at 05:39 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Thank you for playing Tunnel Vision!

You've made an "excellent choice". ;)

And I've been watching the 8 videos for the last hours. Hope you've enjoyed it as much as I did.

03-15-2012 at 11:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Maybe, if you're up for taking requests and recommendations, you could do a poll so people can vote for what you play next?

03-15-2012 at 12:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1908
Fine job. I really enjoyed watching Tunnel Vision.

Keep making 'em and keep talking. It's great to hear your commentary.
03-15-2012 at 02:00 PM
Pearls
icon Re: Decent DROD Let's Play (+5)  
Compass Point LP is up. Sweet zombie Jesus that was a trip. Very enjoyable! Thanks for the recommendation!

03-15-2012 at 04:26 PM
Jacob
I'd forgotten what a great hold Compass Point was, and realised that I'd actually mastered the hold by completing it, but had never returned to the master wall!

03-15-2012 at 06:58 PM
karlpopper
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 263
Pearls,

Plaudits: what a fine, fine way to both deliver walkthroughs, and capture the actual feel of playing DROD. Astonishing perseverence. Also astonishing speed.

I'm on level 17 of Journey to Rooted Hold, and I loved being able to peek ahead at the nightmares that await me (That level 22 secret room is improper and the architect should be impaled) and I don't remotely feel that I'm spoiling it.

One small suggestion: turn on the move counter (F7) it really helps sometimes.

And a request: it would be entertaining to see a short youtube video where the camera pulls away from the DROD game world and pans around into the real world environment that "Pearls" inhabits ..... maybe you could reveal whether you ever resort to paper and pencil for solving.

best regards, Karl

03-15-2012 at 07:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Tar Gate Stronghold represents a really inovative use of mimics. It's really tough, though. It's quite short, and I got the impression you like mimics. Hum... It's a brainmelter, for sure. I don't know... It's worth checking out, at least.

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 03-15-2012 09:15 PM]
03-15-2012 at 09:11 PM
Pearls
Ah! Thanks for all the positive feedback! It's really encouraging. I definitely plan on continuing so long I keep getting hassled. Also, I had no idea a move counter was even an option. As far as seeing my tiny part of this world, I use a screen capture so no camera panning out, but I do use a pen of sorts. My desk is an opaque white glass that I have a green dry erase marker I use all the time to write all over it.

As far as the room on the 22 floor, I kind of half cheated in that video. During my grad years, the friend who showed me this series was playing that floor and I remember very distinctly where Halph was placed, and I just rolled with it in the video. Assuming we're talking about the same one...

I apologize sincerely if this message is a mess. I'm playing for my sister's wedding this weekend and we don't have internet out here (serious rural) so I'm writing this from my phone.

Will be back soon to make more LPs. Someone set up a poll, and I'll consider in earnest!

03-16-2012 at 05:49 AM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Pearls wrote:
Ah! Thanks for all the positive feedback! It's really encouraging. I definitely plan on continuing so long I keep getting hassled. Also, I had no idea a move counter was even an option. As far as seeing my tiny part of this world, I use a screen capture so no camera panning out, but I do use a pen of sorts. My desk is an opaque white glass that I have a green dry erase marker I use all the time to write all over it.
Oh, could you post a photo perhaps of it? Or tell me what glass exactly to look for on which you can safely draw. I moved to my girlfriend recently and she lacks a proper desk and we will, sooner or later, be buying one. I sure would love a drawable one, so much win :thumbsup

On a side note, I have watched some of the Tunnel Vision (some of the first and the last two videos) and it was pretty cool :). More holds should have voice acting, seriously! ;) The only thing I didn't like was that you use too many fillers which kind of makes it more difficult to concentrate on what you are trying to convey. Don't get discouraged by it though, this comes from a person who is still learning to control it :P.

03-16-2012 at 06:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Well, if pearls is happy for a poll, we should have some nominations (including his own, of course).

Of mine, I'd nominate:
"Figure or Ground" and "Beethro's Generic Quest"

and of others,
Veere's Dungeon
A Larrymurk hold, maybe "Think Outside the Box" or "Candy for Gramps"
A Doom hold, maybe Simon's Dungeon.

[Last edited by Jacob at 03-16-2012 02:46 PM]
03-16-2012 at 02:45 PM
Pearls
Fillers? I don't think I follow. I am by no means a stellar let's player, seeming I've only done DROD videos and all of you guys until recently have been shy about feedback. Also, by no means am I discouraged by people not watching the videos. At ten minutes each, tunnel vision alone is an hour twenty. Not everyone has that kind of time or patience. JtRH is more than 15 hours!! I can't reasonably expect that of anyone.

03-16-2012 at 02:53 PM
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
I think feedback has been skimpy because no one knew about it.

You're right, not many will sit through the entire thing, but it's basically an excellent walkthrough for those who need it, and for that it is very much appreciated.

03-16-2012 at 02:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pearls
West.logan, shhhhhh, I'm trying to shunt blame to someone other than the responsible party (me).

Also if by filler you meant my ramblings as I blunder through a puzzle, yeah I can work on that. The process is more of a ZUG ZUG SMASH approach than a "this is exactly what I need to do." Some things are so off the cuff I get surprised they even work, but that's not really an excuse. Will try to be more clear about my intentions.

Ah, the desk was, in all my cheapness, from IKEA. Will post a link when I'm in a more internet heavy area.

[Last edited by Pearls at 03-16-2012 03:05 PM]
03-16-2012 at 03:03 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Pearls wrote: Also if by filler you meant my ramblings as I blunder through a puzzle, yeah I can work on that. The process is more of a ZUG ZUG SMASH approach than a "this is exactly what I need to do." Some things are so off the cuff I get surprised they even work, but that's not really an excuse. Will try to be more clear about my intentions.
I'd say don't change. That's probably the better part of the LP. :)

Seriously, if your LP was only to contain the correct solution, then why not just show a replay of all the existing caravelnet stored demos instead? Your LP wouldn't had any additional value then.

03-16-2012 at 07:18 PM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
The focus of an LP is entertainment. If you can make failing repeatedly entertaining, do it.
03-18-2012 at 07:42 AM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Pearls wrote:
Also if by filler you meant my ramblings as I blunder through a puzzle, yeah I can work on that.
Ah no no, by no means. I meant the linguistic filler, things like "ummm", "emmm", "mmhmmm" ;). Keep your ramblings as they are!

03-18-2012 at 08:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ghost_1109
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
Keep on going with them they are so enjoyable :thumbsup
03-18-2012 at 11:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
martz
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 414
These are brilliant! I've watched the first 7 for KDD, plus all the vids for Tunnel Vision and Compass Point. I must say that your guard voice acting in Tunnel Vision sounds just like Eric Cantona, so I'm giving you a couple of points just for that!

As for further recommendations, I think you should definately do a larrymurk hold - Arena 3 is fairly short and not too tricky. I also think Beethro and the Secret Society would be another good Smitemaster's Selection. However, my number one choice would be The Fool's Errand (assuming you haven't tried it yet) providing you do it in AE...

Progress - Gavin G
03-19-2012 at 07:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Pearls
I have a current project underway, but I'm always open to suggestions! Though I'm really, really curious. Why is it important to do The Fool's Errand in AE?

03-19-2012 at 08:00 PM
Blondbeard
Pearls wrote:
I have a current project underway, but I'm always open to suggestions! Though I'm really, really curious. Why is it important to do The Fool's Errand in AE?
We can't tell you. You will absolutely love it, though. It doesn't work in JtRH?
03-19-2012 at 08:22 PM
Blondbeard
As far as larrymurk holds go I would sugest the odd jobs triology :) The easy and moderate variants are not all that hard core. Or Odyssey. Anyway... My tip is still that he should check out Tar Gate Stronghold, based on the love for mimics.
03-19-2012 at 08:26 PM
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1226
Beethro and the Secret Society is one of my favorite holds, and I would love to see that one. (Provided you own it, that is.)

I absolutely love how you were frustrated at Compass Point!
03-19-2012 at 08:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
martz
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 414
Blondbeard wrote: We can't tell you. You will absolutely love it, though. It doesn't work in JtRH?
Yes, it will work in JtRH - it's been a while since I used it so I wasn't sure.

I thought about Odd Jobs but you would have to turn the sound off - for the sake of both yourself and your audience. Although on the other hand, it might be quite amusing to hear someone's initial reaction to the unique vocal delights on offer :D

Progress - Gavin G
03-19-2012 at 08:46 PM
Pearls
icon Re: Decent DROD Let's Play (+2)  
So...it absolutely won't work with a TCB engine?

In other news, a hold no one suggested is going to start trickling onto my channel - the first couple videos are up.

I picked A Quiet Place. It's...really enjoyable, but maybe the theme of it jives with me.

Either way, it's quite a lot of videos, so I won't have it all posted for some time yet, but it's there if anyone's bored enough to watch them.

inb4 "oh no not that hold..."

03-20-2012 at 01:25 AM
Page 2 of 7
3456>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Press Clippings : Decent DROD Let's Play
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No