Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Do Not Disturb Compilation Hold (Unofficial contest compilation)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
brian_s
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 587
IP: Logged

File: Do Not Disturb Compilation v6b.hold (34.7 KB)
Downloaded 73 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Do Not Disturb Compilation Hold (+2)  
Here it is, the compilation hold from my unofficial Do Not Disturb contest.

I would like all the contributing architects in the contest to take a look and make sure their entry is corretly included. Also, if any unintended solutions are found this is the time to fix them.

Edit: Final version is up, off to the HAs.

[Last edited by brian_s at 03-28-2012 01:08 AM : Updated Hold]
02-16-2012 at 11:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407
icon Re: Do Not Disturb Compilation Hold (0)  
Mine seems to have made it across safely.

02-16-2012 at 11:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
icon Re: Do Not Disturb Compilation Hold (+1)  
Stairs which are supposed to take to Rheb's entry take to my entry instead(and vice versa).

Regarding unintended solutions: I've played through Rheb's entry, and I'm not sure I'm intended to kill the brain before pressing pressure plate in 1S 1W.

Also, it would be nice if you could add trapdoors at 12,8-16,12; 20,8-24,12; 12,16-16,20 and 20,16-24,20 areas in 1S 1W of my entry, please.

EDIT: also, a reminder: 1S 1E in your entry is still breakable the way Trickster described in contest thread(it's unnecessary to lure anything at pressure plate at 6,23 at all, and I can easily lure giant at 21,23-22,24 area, especially since you've given me a speed potion)
EDIT2: I've been playing Trickster's entry and ran into a backtracking issue: I've cleaned 1W before hitting conquer token in the entrance, so I'm stuck now because green door at 9,3(in entrance) is closed. Oops.
EDIT3: Trickster's entry stairs which are supposed to take back at start position end the hold instead.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 07-08-2012 12:12 AM]
02-16-2012 at 11:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Garlonuss
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 275
Well, one thing I notice is that:
Click here to view the secret text

Other than that, it's pretty fun and interesting so far.

[Last edited by Garlonuss at 02-18-2012 05:40 AM]
02-17-2012 at 04:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Garlonuss
Wow, some of these are extremely tricky. But from what I see, Mineral Labs: 2E is impossible to solve. It looks like it's only solvable if you go in through the top entrance, but that one is impossible to enter from the other side.

Am I missing something?

02-17-2012 at 06:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
brian_s
mxvladi wrote:
Stairs which are supposed to take to Rheb's entry take to my entry instead(and vice versa).

Regarding unintended solutions: I've played through Rheb's entry, and I'm not sure I'm intended to kill the brain before pressing pressure plate in 1S 1W.

Also, it would be nice if you could add trapdoors at 12,8-16,12; 20,8-24,12; 12,16-16,20 and 20,16-24,20 areas in 1S 1W of my entry, please.

EDIT: also, a reminder: 1S 1E in your entry is still breakable the way Trickster described in contest thread(it's unnecessary to lure anything at pressure plate at 6,23 at all, and I can easily lure giant at 21,23-22,24 area, especially since you've given me a speed potion)
EDIT2: I've been playing Trickster's entry and ran into a backtracking issue: I've cleaned 1W before hitting conquer token in the entrance, so I'm stuck now because green door at 9,3(in entrance) is closed. Oops.
EDIT3: Trickster's entry stairs which are supposed to take back at start position end the hold instead.

Thanks for looking at all this stuff. I made all the changes except for Rheb's 1S1W which I left as it was, and the backtracking issue in Trickster's I PMed her about.
02-21-2012 at 07:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
brian_s
No problem, I know you are busy right now.
03-06-2012 at 04:55 PM
Garlonuss
You're right. I'm test playing a couple different holds and it looks like I posted that for the wrong one. That was meant to be for Krighton's Castle.

03-07-2012 at 06:16 PM
Trickster
Rank Points: 662

File: Do Not Disturb Compilation v6.hold (34.7 KB)
Downloaded 47 times.
EDIT: Version 6 is up. (I had time to work on this from my parents' house.)

1) I removed Techant's blind walls, but this required a couple of tweaks so I am asking her to review before we send this to the HA.

2) I fixed a few minor spelling errors throughout all entries and the rest of the hold.

3) I replaced mxvladi's 1W, 1E, and 1S with his updates.

4) Entrances in The Hub are all adjacent to conquer tokens, with the exception of the main entrance and the challenge re-entrance.

5) Challenge re-entrance is two steps from the conquer token, and I modified the platform so it's no longer scorable without beating the challenge level (whoops).

6) For the secret room with strange lighting, I intended the doors to be chartreuse so that they would match the green-lit orb. I made them a yellower shade of chartreuse so they look more like yellow doors than green now.

7) I added a small note to the entry descriptions for mxvladi and techant's entries about changes made during review.

Take another review, I'll ask Techant for permission, and then we're good to go.

Official Hold Progress

Favorite Unofficial Holds (I need to play more!)

My Holds

[Last edited by Trickster at 03-11-2012 10:38 PM]
03-08-2012 at 06:47 AM
mxvladi
Trickster wrote:
5) In my hold I added a green door in the Southern portion of The Entrance. This removes my backtracking issue.

No, it doesn't.

While cleaning 1S player has to exit via NE passage. After that, player can either go to 1E->Entrance->1S(no problem in this case) or player can return to 1S via middle-left passage in 1S 1E, then go to 1S 1W via lower-left passage in 1S, then get to 1W, clean it... and get stuck at the entrance(door at 9,3 is closed).

Possible ways to fix it:
1. Remove green door at 9,3 in entrance
2. Force me to hit conquer token before getting to 1W(block 1,2-1,15 passage in 1S 1E, for example)

Also! I've just noticed that there's actually a challenge level in brian_s's version(though it doesn't seem to be reachable from anywhere?). Compared to Trickster's version, I like it more because it has rooms marked as "secret". And why the heck challenges are for brian_s's rooms only? Those aren't the only rooms that can be edited a bit to be made more challenging :huh

By the way, regarding my entry: 1E is also really easy(I even put conquer token near entr so it's marked unscorable because it's boring!) And I would be really grateful if someone played through three southern rooms there. I could have missed some unintended solutions.

EDIT: aand I finished Trickster's entry. Pretty fun. Needed to use stairs-which-take-back-to-the-beginning one time.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 03-08-2012 04:52 PM]
03-08-2012 at 11:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
brian_s
mxvladi wrote:
And why the heck challenges are for brian_s's rooms only? Those aren't the only rooms that can be edited a bit to be made more challenging :huh

The challenge room ideas for my level were originally suggested by Trickster back in the contest thread. I'll accept any suggestions for challenges based on any of the entries.

I probably won't get back to updating the hold until Saturday at the earliest.
03-08-2012 at 05:53 PM
mxvladi

File: More challenging 1E.hold (1.3 KB)
Downloaded 42 times.
brian_s wrote:
I'll accept any suggestions for challenges based on any of the entries.

Thanks for clearing it up :) The reason I asked is because you have "...rooms from Brian's entry..." in description of that level so I thought you're accepting only challenges for your rooms. Glad to know other challenges are also accepted.

Anyway, I have two challenges so far: one is rework of my own 1E, and other is for Rheb's 1E.

For Rheb's 1E challenge, the point is in placing yellow door/wall/whatever(yellow door fits best) at 30,14-34,14. This way, player has to face all eight aumtliches near pressure plate and they're approaching from different sides. I've checked - it's still possible that way, and it's tricky. As it should be!

As for my own 1E -> I've attached the challenge-version. The point is, now Beethro must let autmlichs hit both pressure plates for him. That is how I intended the room originally but it turned out to be quite painful. I think it's allright for challenge level, though.(the briars are there so you're forced to start near SW entr - I think it's trickier from there)

[Post Deleted] Trickster wrote:
There is a way to get to the challenge level, but you have to beat everything else (currently) to get there. (It will be obvious that you missed a level because one of the rooms in the Hub Level is marked as secret.)

That is in your version. In Brian's version(which I am playing and which I will continue playing, because yours has different hold ID and I have no progress there), I didn't notice that it's reachable from Hub 1W. Also, in his version stairs in challenge level end the hold, surprisingly. I'd say that your placement of challenge level is better.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 03-08-2012 07:40 PM]
03-08-2012 at 07:31 PM
Dischorran

File: Do Not Disturb the Animals challenge.hold (4.3 KB)
Downloaded 52 times.
I've updated 1S1E in this version for a challenge room. I'm not entirely sure it's harder than the normal version, but at least it's different.

03-08-2012 at 11:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Dischorran wrote:
I've updated 1S1E in this version for a challenge room. I'm not entirely sure it's harder than the normal version, but at least it's different.
It's easier than the normal version, and the solution is unchanged except for a tiny shortcut. Are you sure you meant to set it up like that?

For reference:
Really? There should be one more key difference, unless I uploaded the wrong thing or overlooked something:

03-09-2012 at 03:57 AM
Dischorran
Yup, sounds right.

03-09-2012 at 04:26 AM
Dischorran
I don't believe in playing fair. Leave it as is.

03-09-2012 at 07:04 AM
mxvladi
icon Re: Do Not Disturb Compilation Hold (+3)  
I really, really, really(, really) don't like the way Trickster placed Rheb's 1E challenge. Mostly because all monsters there are moved 1 square to the east of where they were placed in template. I'd say the room either needs to be replaced somewhere else, where both entrances(in particular - from the west) can be easily made... or we need another room to the west of this one. But anyhow, moving monsters 1 square east is not the choice(you also messed up movement order of aumtliches while moving them - it's pretty important in this room, although it is still possible currently; I just need to rearrange them more than I needed previously before hitting pressure plate).

I do like the lights, though.

Regarding Dischorran's challenge: beginning is slightly more difficult IMO. After that, I can replace wubbas with rock golem piles anyway. Because "spawned"(from killing rock giants) golems move after wubbas(you just need to get them on pressure plate at the turn when you lure wubba from it).

[Last edited by mxvladi at 03-10-2012 07:15 PM]
03-10-2012 at 01:34 PM
Dischorran
Hmm. I could look into getting rid of the secret wall and making that the IS, I guess.

03-10-2012 at 10:17 PM
mxvladi
Does your 1N1E need entry from the West?

Nah, it doesn't. And it seems you can wall off western entr without changing anything else indeed, so go for it.
03-10-2012 at 11:36 PM
Dischorran
Alright, solution confirmed after struggling to solve my own gorram room. Replace the secret wall with a regular wall, please.

03-10-2012 at 11:52 PM
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
Ha, no. Ever seen Firefly?

03-11-2012 at 12:25 AM
mxvladi
mxvladi: I attempted your room from below and was able to kill 6 aumtliches and still be alive, so I *guess* it's beatable without any obstacles there and a flat wall on the West, but don't know for certain. Let me know.

Yes it is. Same solution as one I used in without-wall-on-the-west version works.
03-11-2012 at 12:34 AM
Dischorran
Wapanese + golem + goddamn = gorram?
Oh dear. Nerd FAIL.

03-11-2012 at 01:19 AM
Dischorran
I'd watch Firefly, but it's not on television anymore. That makes it rather inconvenient.

(And yes, FOX executives are insane.)
People still watch TV shows on TV?

03-11-2012 at 03:07 AM
brian_s
You guys have been busy! I attached Trickster's v5 to the top post. It looks good!
03-11-2012 at 03:32 PM
mxvladi

File: The Lazy architects dungeon.hold (3.1 KB)
Downloaded 47 times.
A tiny update to my level:
1. 1E is changed a bit; it is highscorable now.
2. 1W is changed a lot; it is highscorable now, too, and it's a puzzle now instead of almost-copy from template. I've played through and it's definetily possible.(I hope noone sees any problems with me updating rooms so late)

Also, I would really appreciate if there would be conquer tokens reachable in one turn in "Walls in Place: Entrance", "Museum of Biology: Entrance", "Hub Level: Entrance", "Template Level: Entrance" and possibly "Challenges: Entrance", so these trivial entrance rooms are unscorable. And conquer token in "Hub Level: 1N 1E" should be moved 1 tile further from Beethro, I suppose, so that room *is* scorable(reward from cleaning out challenge level first)

EDIT: I took a look at techant's level... there is a freakin' lot of design errors there, such as floor tiles on room edge which don't lead to another room. I think that it's not necessary at all, and should be fixed(even better - maybe we should ask techant to fix it?). If it's not fixed, quite a few people might be annoyed that what appears to be a room exit doesn't take them anywhere.
EDIT2: Wow, I've criticised Trickster for messing up movement order in one of the rooms, but it seems that I've messed it up in one of my own rooms, too. (it doesn't matter there, but still... shame on me!) So the attached hold also has a tiny change to 1S - I've corrected movement order of tarstuff mothers. Just copypaste it from there to compilation.
EDIT3: Also, yellow doors near wubbas in "Challenges: 1S 1E" kinda look like green ones due to lights.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 03-11-2012 08:48 PM]
03-11-2012 at 05:11 PM
mxvladi
Trickster wrote:
4) Entrances in The Hub are all adjacent to conquer tokens, with the exception of the main entrance and the challenge re-entrance

"Hub Level: 1N 1E" change is ok; for the other ones, this is not what I meant at all.

I am perfectly fine with anyone getting trivial #1s for cleaning any of the levels first; I am not fine with anyone getting trivial #1s for simply starting the hold first. My point was that "Hub Level: Entrance", "Walls in Place: Entrance", "Museum of Biology: Entrance" and "Template Level: Entrance"(each of these rooms have 7-tile long blue doors and 7-tile wide stairs) should be unscorable, not the rooms in Hub Level which lead to them. That is the reason why I have conquer token in entrance room of my entry - otherwise, I would just leave it empty.

1) I removed Techant's blind walls, but this required a couple of tweaks[...]

Looks fine now. Thanks for keeping tweaks to minimum.

I'm going to try to run through the whole thing now. I'll possibly finish in a day or two. EDIT: ok I take it back. The hold ID has changed *again*, so no, I'm not going to try through the whole thing.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 03-12-2012 09:44 PM]
03-11-2012 at 10:55 PM
Dischorran
I generally just kill high scoring for trivial entrance rooms via forum controls rather than putting in conquer tokens, but I don't feel strongly either way (and really, basically all my #1s come from being the first one through a trivial room, so I can't complain much anyway).

It does, however, seem odd to be fixing other people's entries in a compilation hold - standards are not the same!

03-11-2012 at 11:03 PM
brian_s
I propose that Brian S do the following, as this is really the-way-it-should-be-handled from my experience:

1) Remove the conquer token from The Lazy Architect's Dungeon : The Entrance.

2) Get the HA to approve the hold.

3) Once the hold is published, use the hold manager to set all (and only) the following rooms non-scorable:

Hub Level : All Rooms non-scorable except 1N,1E
Walls In Place : The Entrance
Museum of Biology : The Entrance
The Lazy Architect's Dungeon : The Entrance
Template Level : The Entrance
Challenges : The Entrance

Brian S, got all that? :) We good?

Got it! But before I push forward, lets see what techant says.

Does anybody know if it is possible to list two official authors of a hold? Trickster did a lot of work on this hold and I would like for some official way of her efforts being recognized.
03-12-2012 at 07:41 PM
techant
Rank Points: 854
Got the Email :D

Sorry you are right that I have not been on for a while. Been playing Glitch.com since no new RPG DROD to play. I will look over the hold and get back to you.

03-23-2012 at 07:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Do Not Disturb Compilation Hold (Unofficial contest compilation)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com