Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : the boss lair (Miniature )
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

2.7/10 (21 votes)
σ 1.91
Author Name:F
Submitted By:Brainiac1999
Hold Name:the boss lair
Theme:Miniature
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:10
Number of Rooms:30
Number of Monsters:310
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:-2 (+3 / -5)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: the boss lair 2.hold (29.4 KB)
Downloaded 812 times.
License: Other
icon the boss lair  
This may be hack and slash, but keep in mind that I am NOT releasing fillers.
02-05-2012 at 05:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 789
icon Re: the boss lair (+1)  
Hi. No, I am not playing DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold. I am playing DROD: The City Beneath.
admin wrote: This may be hack and slash
This is not too bad for your very first old, but yes, it is mostly hack-and-slash. Perhaps your next hold will feature a bit more puzzle and a bit less mindless slaughter.
Hold description wrote: NOTE: I can't find the "Hide Entrance Text" Label button,
In the in-room editing, you can click on the Entrance entity (preplaced when making a new level, of course) and have a few more choices with the entrance text, including whether the text is visible or not. You could also, you know, *write something* for the descriptions.
so please don't complain about the descriptions on the forums.
If you do not want people to complain about a problem, fix it before they have the opportunity to complain. In other words, if you do not want people to complain about the unedited entrance descriptions, ask someone for help *before* you release the hold and make it uneditable.

I would also recommend using the End statement in future holds of yours to, at the very least, prevent characters from repeating speech when you enter the room.

Fun: 3
Brains: 1
Recommendation: 7/20

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!

[Last edited by 12th Archivist at 02-05-2012 09:04 PM]
02-05-2012 at 05:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
He can't fix it because he is too busy making new levels, 12th. Gosh. ;)

02-05-2012 at 06:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
icon Re: the boss lair (0)  
Jatopian wrote:
Eye sea what ewe did their.
I wrote: very first old
Oops. I just noticed that this is not Brainiac's first hold.

02-05-2012 at 06:55 PM
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
I think there were about two rooms I liked, the rest just seemed really easy.

I'll let da rogu3 get all the "regular" 1st place scores now :)

02-05-2012 at 08:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Just wanted to say that the hold was submitted some months ago. We had some technical issues with the HA interface with this hold, so it is not released until now. Sorry about that.

Since this was some time ago, I'm somewhat sure that his architecture skills have improved since then.

02-05-2012 at 08:55 PM
west.logan
I also wanted to note that this is exactly the type of hold I was thinking of when discussing why an original first place shouldn't be worth more points. I was the first through this hold and since almost half of the scores are in the entrances, I now have 9 or 10 first place scores that can never be beaten (which is half of the scores in the hold), giving me a significant advantage on this hold's ranks.

02-05-2012 at 09:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
martz
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 414
I don't want to be overly critical, and from reading the posts above this may actually be your first hold rather than your previous offering, but there's really not a lot to recommend here - beginners may find some benefit but there aren't really any interesting rooms so it's basically high score fodder for anyone who's slightly competent at this game.

I've never built a hold in my life (and don't particularly have any plans to) but I have played lots so I'm going to offer a few recommendations that I'd hope you will bear in mind for your next hold:

* Hold name - please make it case sensitive as it just looks better - you'd only need to change 3 characters to achieve that for this hold.

* Spelling and punctuation in general - following on from the above, I've mentioned this quite a few times - holds seem that much more professional when an effort has been made to ensure spelling, punctuation and grammar are correct. I've made this offer in the past, but I'd be quite happy to proof read holds for anyone who'd like me to.

* You've already mentioned the level entrance text - if there's anything you don't know then don't be afraid to ask - there are lots of really helpful people here who will be glad to assist you.

* Having floor at the edge of rooms which doesn't lead to another room is generally frowned upon. There's not a lot of that here but on the couple of occasions where it does occur, it isn't necessary and could quite easily be replaced by walls.

* Level Entrance Placement - I think every single level had the same position and sword orientation for the level entrance (this is possibly the case for your other hold). Don't be afraid to vary it to provide a bit more interest.

* The majority of your puzzle rooms contain a small puzzle and lots of empty space - you'd be much better shrinking the rooms by enclosing them within walls or other blocking elements. This would also potentially make some of the rooms a bit more tricky.

* Having a bit more decoration in your rooms would improve the experience, even if they don't have anything to do with the puzzles.

* The most useful thing to do is to take a look at other holds (eg. Suwako Prizes is another recent debut hold that does a lot of things right). Obviously you can't just copy other peoples work but you should hopefully get some ideas that you can put into use for your future holds.

In conclusion, I hope you do make more holds and try and take on board some of the advice you are getting. I imagine you are quite young and I know what it's like at that age when you think you know everything (my son is starting to get a bit like this...) but there are a lot of people here who will be more than willing to help you out in the future.

My verdict:

Difficulty: 2
Fun: 2

Progress - Gavin G
02-06-2012 at 04:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Jatopian
How is it being a trap different from it being a trick? It sounds like a nuisance to me.

02-11-2012 at 09:35 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
icon Re: the boss lair (-2)  
I'd ignore that complaint if I were you.

If you did put a room instead people would still have complained. :D
(And I know this from experience.)

[Last edited by Tim at 02-11-2012 10:20 PM]
02-11-2012 at 10:19 PM
Jatopian
The heck are you talking about, Tim?

02-12-2012 at 12:00 AM
12th Archivist
This is a conversation and it likes to dance dance dance, and dance dance dance.

02-12-2012 at 12:07 AM
martz
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 414
Brainiac1999 wrote:
When you were talking about the floors at the edge thing, if you mean like level 4 1 north, it's supposed to be a trap, not a trick. Do you know what else I could use besides floors and room edges?
I did mean level 4: 1N - as per my original post you could have put walls down the side and shifted everything in by 1 - I don't believe this would affect the puzzle element of the room in any way.

The other occurence is level 2: 1N where again you could move everything down by 1 to put a wall in.

There are people (such as myself!) who will bump against every single floor at the edge of a room to see if there is another room to be found. I'm not sure what Tim is referring to, but if there was a room which eventually rejoined the level (by teleport or any other means) I would be quite happy with that.

Progress - Gavin G
02-13-2012 at 05:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
How much do you enjoy the hold, Brainiac? Do you enjoy all of the rooms in the hold? Is there any rooms you enjoy more than others?
02-19-2012 at 08:29 AM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
In this case beggers can be choosers :) Here you find a smörgåsbord of high quality holds you can play for free.
02-19-2012 at 05:42 PM
12th Archivist
Brainiac1999 wrote:
Here is the new boss lair following the End command and walls on all edges suggestions.
This is probably a change you should have made *before* submitting the hold to the HAs.

02-19-2012 at 08:14 PM
west.logan
Actually, some of my favourite holds are not SMS holds...

02-25-2012 at 01:14 AM
Jatopian
icon Re: the boss lair (+2)  
Brainiac1999 wrote:
Please look at the edited version, and if you wanted quality, it would probably end up being a Smitemaster's Selection, which you end up paying for, so if you go around about quality, you would have to pay for the best holds which are greatly polished.
lol is this guy for real?

OK. Here is proof you're wrong: An architect has to make at least one high-quality (i.e. rated 8 or above for fun) hold before he or she is even allowed to be considered for making a Smitemaster's Selections.

If you've never played a great hold that wasn't a Smitemaster's Selection, then you just aren't looking very hard. Go to the Holds page, sort in descending order of fun rating. Play one of the first three. I can personally recommend The Goblin. Too hard? #5 is Advanced Concepts. It's a bleeding tutorial, innit, and it's great. Heck, on page 6 there's Smallsome Swicks, a free medium difficulty hold by Erik Hermansen himself that has been around for eight years. That guy made DROD (well, along with Rimer and some other dudes) so I think he knows how to make quality levels.

You messed up. Admit it and do better next time.

02-25-2012 at 02:08 AM
west.logan
:wave:

02-25-2012 at 02:24 PM
Jatopian
Alright, in that case you do what I did when I was new: Sort by difficulty, ascending, and grab the ones rated 6 or better. The first few are tutorials. After that? Odd Jobs Novice. Population Density. Squeenton Swicks. Great Uncle Yurgess Hold.

And you know what? If you couldn't figure out the hold list controls on your own, we have a forum. You could've asked about the hold list, or about good holds for novices.

02-26-2012 at 12:01 AM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
Also in this page I made a list of good, but not hard DROD holds.

My own advice to you brainiac is, if you enjoy making and playing holds, then continue to do so.

If people don't like the holds you've made then listen to their advice regarding how to improve in future and not take it personally.

If you do decide to keep making holds, I look forward to seeing them.

02-26-2012 at 12:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bomber50
Rank Points: 872
I found this hold funny that
Click here to view the secret text

2.5 brains, 1.5 fun (rounded to 2). At least it didn't make me angry.
09-13-2012 at 02:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
Jatopian wrote:
Oi! That's MY mentality! Give it back!

As for the hold... it wasn't anything challenging, but I found it mindlessly fun. 1.5 brains and 5 fun.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

[Last edited by Jeff_Ray... at 09-14-2012 12:00 AM]
09-14-2012 at 12:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : the boss lair (Miniature ) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com