Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Veere's Dungeon
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Sim
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 90
IP: Logged

File: Veeres dungeon Editable.hold (8.5 KB)
Downloaded 102 times.
License: Other
icon Re: Veere's Dungeon (+1)  
I have to say I'm surprised at how many people played through the hold and liked it, thanks!
I'll give it a few more moments and then post on the Holds board. In the meantime, here is an anyone-edit version of Veere's. I think I'll keep the anyone-edit to the Architecture board and post only the conquerer's version to the hold board. Of course, if anyone is curious they can just come here, but it should deter people from having a quick peek at the other rooms ;)
08-02-2004 at 10:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
swann_88
Rank Points: 87
icon Re: Veere's Dungeon (0)  
finished it
nice hold
really had to think your way through it
I especially like how the first couple rooms took me about 20-30 minutes to figure out about 20 moves in total
Click here to view the secret text

[Edited by swann_88 on 08-03-2004 at 04:05 AM GMT]
08-03-2004 at 05:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Sim

08-03-2004 at 09:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
Sim wrote:
swann_88: This room exploits a quirk in DROD. You should get a black-and-white victory, or if that makes no sense:
I just started playing this hold, and very compact rooms, I've discovered, are not my speciality.

Edit: Not quite, if you saw that. I'm just going to do a bit more testing. I'll go and download the editable version to have a look at that orb.

Edit 2: Ah, the top orb is defined. This must be the bug involving orbs hit by mimics at the same time as Beethro that stops lightning coming out of them. You might want, for the purposes of 1.6, to say explicitly that the top orb does something, or otherwise it becomes guesswork to figure out that the top orb actually does something.

[Edited by agaricus5 on 08-03-2004 at 09:22 AM GMT]

[Edited by agaricus5 on 08-03-2004 at 09:26 AM GMT]

08-03-2004 at 10:20 AM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Here are my thoughts on the rooms, now I've played all of them (I'll try not to be too spoilerish):

Ignoring the secret/non-puzzle rooms, overall this hold is around medium to hard difficulty for me, although this reflects on the fact that very compact rooms with solutions that require understanding are just not the sort of rooms that I'm any good at at first try. With reference to the puzzles, however, the hold is quite fun and original to play, since the puzzles are rather minimalistic in places, which is quite rare to find in holds.

So, my verdict is that I like this hold a lot. I'm sure it will be received well once properly released to the Holds board.

08-03-2004 at 12:04 PM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
There's another post where the secret tag is remarkably narrow. Did you do anything strange or interesting to cause that, agaricus?

Edit: As soon as I sent my reply, it became un-narrow... man, that's weird.

[Edited by DiMono on 08-03-2004 at 03:05 PM GMT]

08-03-2004 at 04:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sim
Big thanks for the feedback, agaricus. I've made a few tweaks to the hold- a scroll for the mimic orb, moved the restart point in the long snake room. I have a conquerer-edit hold ready for release now, but I just wanted to know if the puzzle in 3W will still be possible in the new DROD. I've seen a list somewhere of possible or speculated changes, but I'm not sure if it's final. If it won't work in 1.6 I could add two adjacent yellow doors that would block a shortcut in the current version, but taking advantage of the door fix in the next version. I'm not sure how the orbs would affect it in the new one though, so even that's a bit risky.
Thanks again though for the feedback :thumbsup
08-03-2004 at 10:28 PM
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
Can someone give me a hint for 3N3W please? I can't see how to get through the top right corner without ending up on one of the north facing force arrows.
08-03-2004 at 11:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
swann_88
Rank Points: 87

08-03-2004 at 11:53 PM
Scott
Rank Points: 578
Theres a mimic trick well not really a trick but a movement thing.

08-04-2004 at 12:46 AM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Sim, my recommendation would be to design your hold for 1.6, and then if something breaks when 1.7 comes out you can tweak the room and fix it. Designing for some feature that may end up not even being in the next version of the game seems a little ...iffy, to me.

08-04-2004 at 04:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bandit1200
Rank Points: 290
Scott wrote:
Theres a mimic trick well not really a trick but a movement thing.

Cheers, Scott. I just couldn't see it for some reason. My own movement didn't last long though as I immediately fogged up in the very next room - 3N2W
08-04-2004 at 07:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Sim
OK, I've submitted the hold now :)
08-04-2004 at 01:59 PM
jjohn7418
Rank Points: 161
masonjason wrote:
brian_s wrote:
1N 2W is keeping me stumped. Any hints?
For 1N 2W:

This is a superb hold, by the way.

I have read the hints and am still stumped, can someone give me a hint in laments terms, so I might be able to follow along?

Thanks, Jim

08-31-2004 at 02:31 AM
Sim

08-31-2004 at 02:01 PM
jjohn7418
Sim wrote:

Thanks, Jim

09-01-2004 at 12:49 AM
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349

[Edited by masonjason on 08-31-2004 at 11:56 PM GMT]

09-01-2004 at 12:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jjohn7418
Okay, I got it now. What a dunce I was. :twak

Thanks for your help,
Jim

09-01-2004 at 05:36 PM
Sim
Hopefully this version has the stairs fixed. All I'd need is for some people to test the stairs to make sure they're fixed. I've taken out the blue door so it's just a matter of walking the 30 or so squares to the exit. If it seems the stairs are fine then I'll fix up that room again and update on the holds board. Hold is anyone-edit also.

Hold has been removed from this post now as the stairs seem to work.

[Edited by Sim at Local Time:11-10-2004 at 07:50 AM]
11-09-2004 at 09:20 PM
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
The stairs worked for me.

11-09-2004 at 10:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Okay now. Now put the blue doors back fast, and you are done!
11-09-2004 at 10:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Veere's Dungeon
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com