Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Uncle Mike's New Place (Loosely themed levels)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.7/10 (15 votes)
σ 0.87
Author Name:Brian S
Submitted By:brian_s
Hold Name:Uncle Mike's New Place
Theme:Loosely themed levels
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:3
Number of Rooms:25
Number of Monsters:236
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:6 (+6 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Uncle Mikes New Place v7.hold (14.6 KB)
Downloaded 808 times.
License: Other
icon Uncle Mike's New Place  
Beethro is hired to clear out an estate recently purchased by a contractor.
08-16-2011 at 03:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3170
icon Re: Uncle Mike's New Place (+4)  
Here is a new hold from Brian_S, filled with new ideas, mostly about monster manipulation.

My favorite puzzle is Villa 1N, which has very interesting solution(s).

My favorite level is Clockwise. I'll let you guess what that means... who else but the architect of Directions of the Compass and Directions of the Compass 2 would think of a level like this.

Difficulty varies, from easy to medium to a couple pretty serious goblin manipulation rooms.
08-16-2011 at 03:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
icon Re: Uncle Mike's New Place (+2)  
Pretty fun, medium-difficulty hold. First two levels contain various manipulation puzzles; third one has a very interesting concept and various easy-to-medium puzzles which use it(also, despite the concept used there, that level is totally unlinear! If you're stuck, you can run through problematic room and try the next one, thanks to lack of green doors).

Admittedly, second level, aside from two rather neat puzzles, seemed quite weak for me(and it's not totally unlinear, either). First and third ones, though, are very fun.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 08-16-2011 04:10 PM]
08-16-2011 at 04:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pekka
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 302
icon Re: Uncle Mike's New Place (+2)  
I enjoyed this hold. I had some difficulties here and there, but could overcome them on my own by thinking carefully and trying things out. The goals I needed to reach were clear, but sometimes it took a few tries and runs into dead ends to find the way. I learned some new techniques I hadn't needed anywhere yet.

The last level's extra requirement was fresh and interesting. It was about the right size for such a level, too, so I never became bored with it. So, all in all, a fun selection of puzzles, and not too big or repetitive.

I rated this hold 8 for fun and 6.5 for brains.

EDIT: Removed extra 'yet' word. Wanted to add that my favorite rooms were Villa 1N1W and Bridges 2N2W, and the last level as whole.

[Last edited by Pekka at 08-18-2011 07:28 PM]
08-17-2011 at 05:30 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
icon Re: Uncle Mike's New Place (+1)  
A fun medium difficulty hold!

There are many well executed puzzles and plenty of fun hack 'n slash rooms.

Recommended.

08-17-2011 at 06:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
Fun hold indeedy!

The clockwise level definitely scores bonus points for originality. Fun hold.
08-17-2011 at 11:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
martz
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 414
This is a very nice hold containing 3 short levels with a slightly different feel.

The first level mainly focuses on evil eyes and their various uses including mirror interaction. 1N1W seems a bit out of place since it's the only room without eyes.

The second level sees you restricted to passages with a width of 3 or 4 tiles. All the rooms here are quite different - you'll be manipulating a number of different monsters in different ways and there's also an interesting room where you have to handle a goblin with only 90 degree sword turns allowed.

The final level sees you travelling in a clockwise loop with only clockwise movement allowed. Again, there's a different variety of puzzles here.

Overall this is a very well polished hold - there are a nice mixture of puzzles with a medium difficulty. Although I wouldn't recommend this hold to beginners, everyone else should find something to their liking here.

My Verdict:

Difficulty: 6
Fun: 8

Progress - Gavin G
11-21-2011 at 07:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
brian_s
Rank Points: 587
icon Re: Uncle Mike's New Place (0)  
martz wrote:
1N1W seems a bit out of place since it's the only room without eyes.
Actually, the original version of that room did have evil eyes instead of brains - all the eyes diagonally faced the center of the room. I changed the eyes to the brains for two reasons, first is that moving the platforms around became too tedious while dodging the eyes' lines of sight, and second is the potential for breaking the intended solution by deliberately waking the eyes.
11-21-2011 at 11:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
icon Re: Uncle Mike's New Place (0)  
This is really a lovely hold. There is a nice variety of puzzles here, and all of them seem to be just the right difficulty; not spending too long on a single puzzle, but just long enough to make you appreciate them.

Like martz said, this hold is broken into three levels. The first level is mostly about manipulating the sights of evil eyes through mirrors. The second is about movement restriction. The third about solving the rooms a certain way so you can get out of them and keep going (going in circles).

My personal favorite was the first level. I never really stopped to ponder the uniqueness of the evil eyes until I was stomping through those puzzles. It helped me to see the puzzle potential in many otherwise boring DROD concepts, and was darn fun, to boot!

It has been quite a long time since I played the other two levels, and since neither particularly stuck in my mind, I will refrain from mentioning more than a "neat concept, good puzzles" for them.

8 for fun
7 for brains
90/100 recommendation rating.
An excellent piece of work! Well done, brian!

(Note that I have not played the hold in its present version; I played it when it was on the Architecture board, so my scores will not show up for this hold.)

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
11-21-2011 at 11:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
OneMoreNameless
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 131
Villa: There's a few neat evil eye puzzles alongside a couple of generic-feeling rooms.
Bridges: Doesn't actually feature bridge dropping, only simple narrow manipulations (plus a tricky goblin room).
Clockwise: This hold's highlight and worth sticking around for. Inventive puzzles based on movement restrictions.

I guess you could call it a ... Mike's bag.
01-13-2017 at 12:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Uncle Mike's New Place (Loosely themed levels) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com