Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Aurora's Palace (Easy to medium difficulty lynchpin/manipulation puzzles. )
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.3/10 (27 votes)
σ 1.85
Author Name:Jacob
Submitted By:Jacob
Hold Name:Aurora's Palace
Theme:Easy to medium difficulty lynchpin/manipulation puzzles.
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:6
Number of Rooms:54
Number of Monsters:247
Version:DROD: Architect's Edition
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:5 (+5 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Auroras Palace.hold (21.8 KB)
Downloaded 1365 times.
License: Other
icon Aurora's Palace  
So here's my new 5 level (plus secret level) hold. The big difference is that it's designed in DROD:AE (therefore playable in AE, JtRH or TCB).

Why have I reverted to DROD:AE? Well, some people are limited to using DROD:AE as their screens are not big enough (or of the right resolution) for later versions of DROD, and while there are some great AE holds, there is also a lot of dross and a lot of really hard or frustrating holds. Also, DROD architecture has moved on a lot since those holds were built, so it's an opportunity to introduce a few tricks to AE.

Furthermore, it was a fun challenge to make a hold with a more limited set of elements. I note that a few other AE holds have been made in the post AE era (like Penwielder's Palace and The Old School), and it's interesting to see what can still be done with just those elements.

The hold has some tricky parts, but has been completed by my girlfriend, who had only played about 3 holds up to that point - so it shouldn't be too hard for relative novices. To make it more accessible for beginners there's a hint scroll in each room!

[Obviously, as this hold was made for AE, the graphical styles picked for each level are those from AE. So you may enjoy playing it in AE more for that reason - or you may just want to play it in TCB so you can use undo]

Thanks to Tim, CuriousShyRabbit, Zorglub, SomeoneElse, Penwielder and TripleM for beta-testing.

Also, if anyone's interested (e.g. they're also stuck with just DROD:AE) I found the original AE version of The Domain of the Grinfidel and stuck it on its Holds page for download (not on caravelnet though)
07-25-2011 at 10:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1486
icon Re: Aurora's Palace (+2)  
Thanks! This is just the kind of hold we need. Comparativly easy, lynchpin driven, polished and fun.

As always Jacob is the expert of creating holds with maze elements, that are still fun to traverse. Let's see if I can reach the secret level :)

Edit: Sure I could, and it showcases another of Jacobs strenghts; variation on a theme.

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 07-27-2011 08:53 AM]
07-26-2011 at 04:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
This hold really has been surprisingly approachable. Or at least it was, until I got to a certain level where I can't conquer anything and can only walk around in circles going "wow, if that entrance were accessible...." (OK, back to walking in circles.)
07-27-2011 at 11:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
This really is a lovely hold. The previous comments and the architect's own description almost say it all.

I'd add that this hold showcases the great variety of fun settings that can be created with only AE elements. Each of these levels has its own distinct personality. Inside the Palace and the secret level include beautiful theme-and-variation puzzle sets. Underground Lake is a set of puzzles where the player traverses narrow bridges over the lake (well, pit, but it totally works as a lake). And Subterranean Sewer System is an ingenious maze level, where conquering a room gives you access to one new passage, and then later dropping all the trapdoors gives access to another.

I recommend this hold to everyone. :)
07-28-2011 at 03:24 AM
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228
icon Re: Aurora's Palace (+1)  
Really fun hold! I particularly liked the maze level and the secret level.
Click here to view the secret text

Overall this deserves a 10 for fun and 6 for difficulty.
08-01-2011 at 10:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
noma
Rank Points: 1594
I was so sad to finish this hold; I wanted more. It has the kind of rooms that are just difficult enough that you make you feel really smart when you solve them. Thank you Jacob; I really enjoyed this hold. 9 for fun, 6 for brains.
08-03-2011 at 05:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
Another fine hold by Jacob.

The hold is much easier than Jacob's usual creations. The puzzles are good and help scrolls are included in each room if needed.

Enjoyable medium difficulty diversion.
08-10-2011 at 11:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rinaldo
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 50
icon Re: Aurora's Palace (+3)  
As an absolute bottom-of-the-heap beginner (I've been around for a couple of years but have never gotten very good, playing as I do in odd available moments, sometimes with long hiatuses), my reaction shouldn't carry much weight.

But I still had to say that I found this an absolutely beautiful hold. The story worked, each level had a personality of its own and made sense, the puzzles were on an approachable level that's just what I'm looking for (I had trouble with a couple, but that's me), and I often felt quite tickled with myself for figuring something out. A few provided a special glow, as I belatedly saw how everything fit together. It also looked great. Well done in every respect.
08-11-2011 at 05:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
Another great hold by Jacob!

Although easier than most of his other holds, Aurora's Palace definitely carries Jacob's signature style. You'll find several seemingly identical rooms with only some key spot differing to create very different puzzles. And of course a whole level that is a puzzle in itself with several rooms containing multiple puzzles depending on when and how you enter them.

Strongly recommended! :)

08-18-2011 at 04:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rinaldo
Rank Points: 50
VIPCOOL wrote:
... you can only come in through the bottom right entrance after completing 1N1W.
Ha. I once thought the same thing, as apparently have others. We were suitably chagrined to be awakened to the ease of getting the bottom right route unlocked immediately.

08-23-2011 at 05:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2386
icon Re: Aurora's Palace (0)  
A little typo on a scroll in Sewer System 1S1E.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
08-31-2011 at 07:57 AM
martz
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 414
icon Re: Aurora's Palace (0)  
Another excellent hold from Jacob. This is an AE hold which limits the hold to resources from that engine but it is beautifully designed with a nice selection of lynchpin puzzle rooms.

It could be argued that this hold should be played in AE for the full effect but my first DROD experience was finishing KDD in AE (and then doing a load of the user holds) so I have no intention of returning to it...

My favourite level was the sewer maze - the lake level before it gave a kind of taster of what was to come. Even though I had to redo the entire level (since the first room I cleared was 1S1E) I wasn't too fussed about doing it again.

I would definately recommend this to anyone and maybe we'll see a few more AE holds in the future?

My verdict:

Difficulty: 5.5
Fun: 8

Progress - Gavin G
12-14-2011 at 11:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Panther
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 402
Even though all of my reactions simply reiterate various opinions above, I still want to add my voice to the chorus.

Jacob has been my favorite architect for years now, and this hold is another beautiful example of why. A real bonus for me here is that now I have a (public) Jacob hold I can recommend to people who find my other favorites of his to be a bit too difficult.

Completely unsurprisingly (to me), and completely in-character for Jacob, this hold was incredibly fun to solve, incredibly fun to optimize, and beautiful and elegant in structure. I also feel that the latter is especially noteworthy due to the self-imposed constraint of only using AE elements.

Jacob, if you read this: it was mainly due to you, starting with BatSS, that my enjoyment of drod was elevated to a full-blown addiction. Thank you. :) :Notworthy
12-26-2011 at 01:12 PM
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
What can I say? It's an exquisite hold and I was sad that it ended. Every puzzle felt finely crafted and even places that looked like you couldn't get to you actually could, if you worked out the puzzle. It just goes to show that some brilliant things can be done with only a few elements. One of my favourite holds I'd have to say.

Thank you very much for having a girlfriend, Jacob. Now make her some more holds :)

05-03-2012 at 03:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
CrazyDiamond
Rank Points: 38
Great hold, I liked especially the sewer level and
I recommend anyone to play it in AE if you want more challenge, it's really harder to solve these kind of holds when you can't undo the last move.
07-14-2013 at 12:08 AM
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2670
I don't give 10 ratings very often but this is one of those. The design is excellent, the style is simple and elegant, yet the puzzles are very clever despite not being too difficult. An absolutely wonderful hold. :thumbsup
05-22-2016 at 08:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Aurora's Palace (Easy to medium difficulty lynchpin/manipulation puzzles. ) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com