Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Are you a believer? (Do you believe in God?) This topic has been locked
Page 5 of 5
New Topic New Poll
Do you believe in God?
Yes
No
I don't know
I believe in multiple gods
Note: Viewing results forfeits your right to vote.
Poster Message
Dischorran
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3407
IP: Logged
icon Re: Are you a believer? (+1)  
NiroZ wrote:
However, the flu virus did develop resistance. How? Well it turns out that there are 2 other mutations that a flu virus can have which by themselves are benign, I'm not sure if they would be defined as junk DNA, but they didn't do anything. However, if a virus had those to mutations, they could then develop a mutation to resist tamiflu, and not be crippled.
Oh, and no, that wouldn't be junk DNA. It's hard enough packing DNA into a bacterium, let alone a tiny viral capsid, so viruses are under very strong pressure to eliminate any RNA/DNA they're not actually going to use. Looking at the paper, they don't seem to know what exactly the suppressor mutants are doing - they're arguing they modify protein folding slightly - but they're definitely part of the protein.

04-08-2011 at 07:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds
hyperme
Rank Points: 1062
icon Re: Are you a believer? (0)  
The spitemaster wrote:

Problem is that I have no problem with any of this. I have a problem with the thought that one species could become another. That a bat could become a mouse. (Or the other way around, I don't actually know what it said to be)

If you add up lots of small numbers, you get big ones. And, if over time, you get lots of little changes, they add up to big ones.

[Last edited by hyperme at 04-08-2011 08:41 PM]
04-08-2011 at 04:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
I hope we all understand that you only have to change, like, 3-5% of the DNA to get from ANY GIVEN MAMMAL to any other given mammal. Seriously. These are tiny goddamn changes all up in this hizzouse.
04-09-2011 at 07:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds
Ivcha Pivcha
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 80

File: Golden cup.jpg (28.6 KB)
Downloaded 45 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Are you a believer? (-2)  
Corpus Christi (feast)

Miracle of Lanciano Italy

The Blessed Sacrament may be received by Catholics who have undergone First Holy Communion (i.e., given by a priest or deacon or an Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion and immediately consumed by the communicant) as part of the Liturgy of the Eucharist during Mass. Roman Catholics believe that the soul of the person receiving the Eucharist should be in a "state of grace", i.e., have no mortal sin in their soul at the time of communion (Matt 5:23-24).

Adoro te devote

Taste, and touch, and vision, to discern Thee fail;
Faith, that comes by hearing, pierces through the veil.
I believe whate'er the Son of God hath told;
What the Truth hath spoken, that for truth I hold.

~ St. Thomas Aquinas

The Witnesses

Never read books you aren't sure about . . . even supposing that these bad books are very well written from a literary point of view. Let me ask you this: Would you drink something you knew was poisoned just because it was offered to you in a golden cup? ~ St. John Bosco

[Last edited by Ivcha Pivcha at 06-01-2016 05:48 PM]
05-26-2016 at 05:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts
Camwoodstock
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 115
Religion is like your private parts; you can have them, but don't force it down people's throats, and don't use it as an excuse to do normally unacceptable things

Her/him | & | Steam | Backloggery
10-04-2016 at 02:54 AM
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
The fact that a single religion isn't shared among Earth's entire population does seem a bit suspicious to me. Most of them seem equally credible, and I'm inclined to just wait until I die, and then see what happens to my soul.

03-26-2020 at 05:40 AM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2386
Your signature suggests that you’ve chosen a belief system. :)

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 03-26-2020 06:42 AM]
03-26-2020 at 06:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407
icon Re: Are you a believer? (+1)  
noooooooo not this thread back again

03-26-2020 at 07:18 PM
Dying Flutchman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 406
Daria91 seems to have a habit of reviving topics...

03-26-2020 at 07:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds
Illusionist
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 165
icon Re: Are you a believer? (-8)  
Aaaahhh, the legendary forumkiller question.

Frankly, I prefer when people believe in God.
When people stop believing in God, is when the Demons take the reign. Whether God exists or not, is irrelevant. What is more important is to have some sort of moral backbone in your body. And it's better to have one based on some sort of wisdom that was built upon generations and generations, whether it's buddhism, judaism, christianity, paganry, or islam. when you have a belief in yourself and faith - you have optimism and the drive to do some good in this world. Atheists only produced people like Mao Zedong, Stalin, Hitler, Lenin and so on, so I don't trust atheists (sorry, but no). And very often atheism leads to cult of personality, it's like people need a substitute for a god.

And science is a religion upon itself, have you heard of scientology? And that's fine, as long as you have faith, you will amount to anything, because it's one thing to be a human based on what you know, it's another to excel with looking up for the things you don't know, but only have a gut feeling that they might be true. That requires something else. Faith in general is a good thing. And it doesn't have to be true, nor real, because even if it's not real, you can make it reality.

Belief in God is good, because it forces you to take a moral stand and an allegiance. Unfortunately, most people think that if they pray, then it's enough. Or that if they forbid something or censor something, that it will disappear. They completely miss the point. Morality requires empathy, and a lot of people forget that. Most of people who want to censor things, whether they are liberal, or christian (over the decades these two became synonymous) are wrong and are based on egocentrism. You can't censor reality - you have to deal with that. You have to deal with the worst of the worst in order to mold it into the best of the best. You can't just close your eyes and pretend it doesn't exist. But that's what faith means - to see, to hear, to listen. The belief is a desire for something bigger, better, more meaningful and grander than yourself. And to grow as a person. You might not find the answers, but the process of searching is important enough

I myself am boring catholic, if you're curious, alas, it's not that simple, because I disagree with a lot of things in regards to everything in this world. I stopped understanding this world, and frankly, I don't want to understand it at all.

Oh, I would forgot the most important part

We are capable of judging right from wrong. We know exactly when we are doing wrong. We can fool others, but we can't fool ourselves and our conscience. But we keep justifying it. We know that we are doing it wrong, when we do, it's just that we try to paint ourselves as good guys, even when we know that we did wrong. Probably that's why I would say "listen to your heart"

[Last edited by kurwaa at 09-19-2020 06:54 PM]
09-19-2020 at 06:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Are you a believer? (+3)  
I am locking this thread for the obvious reasons.

09-19-2020 at 10:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds
Page 5 of 5
New Topic New Poll
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Are you a believer? (Do you believe in God?) This topic has been locked
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com