Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Halls of Miscellany (None)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.7/10 (6 votes)
σ 1.70
Author Name:BoyBlue
Submitted By:BoyBlue
Hold Name:Halls of Miscellany
Theme:None
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:4
Number of Rooms:70
Number of Monsters:440
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:7 (+7 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Halls of Miscellany.hold (17.3 KB)
Downloaded 836 times.
License: Other
icon Halls of Miscellany  
A medium-sized puzzle-oriented hold. Some of the rooms are easy, but most will take some effort to clear.
03-06-2011 at 04:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3170
icon Re: Halls of Miscellany (+4)  
As the name advertises, the latest BoyBlue hold is a mixed bag. Playing these rooms is kind of like digging through large bins of stuff at a flea market. There are easy puzzles, hard puzzles, puzzles that you can approach with strategy, and puzzles where you have to figure out the lynchpin. You'll probably find something you like, as well as other things that aren't quite your style. Digging around in a flea market sometimes yields real treasures. In contrast to the bins at a flea market, there is a relatively high concentration of treasures here. For example:

Level 1 1S is what many of us think of as "classic BoyBlue": a minimalistic room that is clearly impossible.

Level 2 1S1W is not a hard puzzle, but interesting because I don't remember seeing anything like it before. (Wade through several rows of invisibility potions on oremites to reach some aumtlich.)

Level 2 1S1E gets a mention because it shows that there are still great puzzles to be made using only AE elements. (Hack through a large chunk of crumbly wall without killing any of the embedded roaches.)

Level 3 1N2W and its cousin in the postmastery are an interesting pair because of how changing a path length by just one square forces a very different solution.

Level 4 3N is a puzzle type we don't see too often in BoyBlue holds. Given an excess of tools, choose which ones you need to do the job. The fun of finally figuring this one out still sticks with me.

If you dig around, there's probably some rooms here that will stick with you as well. Enjoy! :)

03-07-2011 at 04:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2384
icon Re: Halls of Miscellany (+1)  
Clearly Boyblue has done it again! :D

(Trying to see how long I can go without asking for help yet again)

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
03-07-2011 at 09:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: Halls of Miscellany (+2)  
Very much enjoying this hold; not done with it yet, but that's because progress is slow. But in a good way: I get through a handful of rooms, set it aside, come back, get through another handful, repeat until finished. And there are definitely gems in here (scattered amongst the gold). Particular shoutouts to Level 1: 1S1E, which is beautifully minimal; and Level 4: 1N1E, which (like so many BoyBlue rooms) didn't seem possible until suddenly it did.

Also, a nod to a subtle but much-needed improvement in level design: rooms that have no open floor (because they're covered in oremites or hot tiles) have a small plus-sign in the upper corner made out of normal floor tiles. That's because the minimap shows normal floor in red for an unsolved room and white for a solved room, so a room without any normal floor looks identical when solved or unsolved. The addition of the small normal-floor area is a huge timesaver when it comes to looking at the minimap to see which rooms remain unsolved. I strongly encourage other architects to consider doing the same thing themselves whenever possible.
03-09-2011 at 07:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2384
icon Re: Halls of Miscellany (0)  
Tahnan wrote:
Also, a nod to a subtle but much-needed improvement in level design: rooms that have no open floor (because they're covered in oremites or hot tiles) have a small plus-sign in the upper corner made out of normal floor tiles.

Noticed this too. This sort of attention to detail makes the level so much more fun.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
03-09-2011 at 03:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
icon Re: Halls of Miscellany (+1)  
A very nice hold so far - I'm just getting a bit frustrated with the rooms that look impossible until 'oh now I see that tiny secret wall that changes /everything/' moments.

My favorite rooms so far have been L1:1W and 1S1E - nice little puzzles.

Back later with more meaningful comments.

03-10-2011 at 09:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Halls of Miscellany (None) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com