Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Insane Puzzle (Insane Puzzle)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

5.1/10 (11 votes)
σ 2.07
Author Name:Black_Star
Submitted By:Black_Star
Hold Name:Insane Puzzle
Theme:Insane Puzzle
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:1
Number of Rooms:18
Number of Monsters:158
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:0 (+0 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Insane Puzzle.hold (5.7 KB)
Downloaded 790 times.
License: Other
icon Insane Puzzle  
:)
01-11-2010 at 12:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jbluestein
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1670
icon Re: Insane Puzzle (+1)  
A new hold with very little polish or pretesting from the Architecture forum.

For all that, it could have been a lot worse than it actually was.

What you get is eight puzzle rooms of varying difficulty. A few are fairly easy, a few are more difficult.

Nothing earth-shattering, but nothing terrible here either. Although a couple of rooms are fairly tedious.

I give it a 4 for fun and 5.5 brains.

Josh

01-11-2010 at 12:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
wjdakfdldi
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
icon Re: Insane Puzzle (0)  
Really nice hold :)
01-11-2010 at 05:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TheGreenPhantom
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 39
This hold is difficult - But some rooms are fairly easy or tedious.
It would've been nicer if you had put it in the architecture board for a little longer, and went through editing it. It's not a terrible hold. There are quite a few un-intended solutions to this hold, for example, in 1N 4E....
Click here to view the secret text

There is alot of rooms that would provide alot of trial and error (For example , 1N 2E requires for you to keep using different timing and the battle key). Remember, Difficulty is just as good as fun. Even if I had failed to succeed this in my first hold, I'm sure we'll all learn and keep trying to be better. But anyway, enough blabbing from me.
4.5 for Fun
7.5 for Difficulty

01-11-2010 at 10:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
wjdakfdldi wrote:
Said the sock puppet.

01-11-2010 at 04:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Jatopian wrote:
wjdakfdldi wrote:
Said the sock puppet.
What, just because he registered immediately after the hold was posted, and said something nice about it, and has a username that looks like a random string of letters, and...yeah, OK. Hey, does an admin want to check that "10" rating to see if it came from anyone suspicious?
01-12-2010 at 10:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: Insane Puzzle (+1)  
let me be the first to say that if he created a sockpuppet account for this purpose

it will be the most hilarious thing to happen on these forums in like a month and I personally will hand him 5 rank points for making me giggle
01-14-2010 at 05:54 AM
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
Banjooie wrote:
let me be the first to say that if he created a sockpuppet account for this purpose

it will be the most hilarious thing to happen on these forums in like a month and I personally will hand him 5 rank points for making me giggle
Posts like that make me wonder what happened to our Department of Orderly Disruptions...

But more on topic, I felt this hold had some good quality puzzles but not enough polish/garnish to make me come back for more. Hopefully, the architect has learned from the feedback in the Holds Board to not keep their constructs in Architecture for six hours.

4 fun
7 brains

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
01-14-2010 at 09:43 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
icon Re: Insane Puzzle (+2)  
I actually had a lot more fun with this hold than the previous reviews give the hold credit for.

1N2E is not a room that requires trial and error, although I think 1000 turns is far too long - 300 moves or 10 spawns would make the point well enough.

1N4E, as previously mentioned, has an unintended solution, but the room is actually a pretty tricky and interesting room if you try and do it as intended.

1N4W is a tricky room vaguely reminiscient of Perfection - a room where it appears mathematically impossible at first, but a lynchpin allows you to solve the room with ease every time.

That said, this room is kind of aesthetically unappealing. You're only going to see default Foundation checkerboard floors and walls, there's no story, and the hold has a minimalistic-feeling style. There's also darkness, although for once it's not used too obnoxiously for the most part, only to show where pit squares are located. What I don't like is that in 1N4E it's used to obscure a timer.

The 8 rooms in this hold form a nice lunch break and while the hold isn't too hard, it's still a good challenge. I had fun playing it. I think it probably could have used more polish in Architecture before release, but for a first hold, it's not that bad. The architect has done a good job and I hope to see more work from him.

6 fun
5 brains

01-30-2011 at 07:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Insane Puzzle (Insane Puzzle) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com