Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : iPhone games? (wanted: recommendations)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
lakibuk
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 93
IP: Logged
icon iPhone games? (0)  
I've got an ipod touch for christmas.
Any good iphone games out there?

12-28-2009 at 05:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: iPhone games? (0)  
Don't think so. I like to keep an eye on the gaming industry, and I've yet to see a single 'wow, you MUST play this game' for the iPhone. The most notable mention was implementing doom on it, IIRC. To be perfectly honest, I don't think I've even seen a review(or even a casual enthusiastic mention) of an iPhone game. IMHO it's a status symbol, nothing more.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 12-28-2009 08:29 PM]
12-28-2009 at 08:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606
Well, although I don't own an iPod Touch, I know that Pangea Software has a few games for the iPod Touch that were quite good when I'd played them on the Mac, so I'd recommend looking at those for a start.
O:-
12-29-2009 at 02:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Snacko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 448
icon Re: iPhone games? (+1)  
I haven't played it yet (left my synch cord at home), but I've heard Zenonia is good.

12-29-2009 at 11:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1226
Snacko wrote:
I haven't played it yet (left my synch cord at home), but I've heard Zenonia is good.
Thanks a bunch for naming this here! I've downloaded it now and it's simply amazing. Think Zelda combined with Final Fantasy, and at least 40 hours of gameplay. I can't recommend it more to a fan of old-school RPGs.
12-30-2009 at 10:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
There are a ton of very good games for the iPhone, in my opinion. The reason that NiroZ hasn't seen many reviews of games for the platform is that most mainstream gaming sites don't seem to cover it. Joystiq is starting to throw in a few articles here and there but they don't seem to pick the best games available on the platform. It's true that with so many thousand games available, the great majority will be horrible shovelware. But there are just so many great games available that shouldn't be ignored.

Probably the best way to go is to check out some of the iPhone-specific gaming websites/blogs. My favorite is Touch Arcade. Here's their 2009 Buyer's Guide for people who received an iPhone or iPod Touch for the holidays.

I could list out all the games I have and think are well worth purchasing, but it's late. If there is interest, I will share my favorites.

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams

[Last edited by Oneiromancer at 12-31-2009 07:07 AM]
12-31-2009 at 07:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
lakibuk
Oneiromancer wroteHere's their 2009 Buyer's Guide for people who received an iPhone or iPod Touch for the holidays.
That Space Invaders game is pretty good.

01-01-2010 at 07:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
kie
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 221
I also use Touch Arcade as my main source for iPhone games and news. Here is a great thread which lists and recommends puzzle games.
What genres are you interested in, lakibuk?

01-01-2010 at 09:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
lakibuk
kie wrote:
I also use Touch Arcade as my main source for iPhone games and news. Here is a great thread which lists and recommends puzzle games.
What genres are you interested in, lakibuk?
That's an extensive list, thanks.
Yes, i am interested in puzzle games and curious about the status quo of iphone gaming. My impression so far: the nintendo DS has got a lot of better games and is better suited for gaming (controls...).

01-02-2010 at 07:17 PM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: iPhone games? (+3)  
lakibuk wrote:
My impression so far: the nintendo DS has got a lot of better games and is better suited for gaming (controls...).
Yes, but in general, the DS games cost $30 new while iPhone games cost between $1 and $5. Take Peggle for example (since it's on multiple platforms). You can get it for $10 to $20 for the PC, 360, or DS depending on where you buy it. On the iPhone it's got better graphics (and in my opinion, better controls) than the DS version, is regularly $5, but is currently on sale for $2 (and I got it back in June for $1 even though I already have it). (Here's the pricing history.) When Plants and Zombies comes out for the iPhone later this month, I may be tempted to pick it up again when it's on sale just to have a portable version.

Let's see...here are the games I would heartily recommend. I own all of them, and I still think that they are well worth buying, although some that are currently around $5 I picked up when they were on sale (and as you can see from the average app's pricing history, sales are relatively common). Most of them have Lite or Free versions so you can try the demos out.

iBlast Moki
Zenonia
Space Ninja
Flight Control
Rogue Touch
Azkend
Golden Path of Plumebloom
GeoDefense
GeoDefense Swarm
Isotope: A Space Shooter
Galaxy on Fire
Toy Bot Diaries
Spy Bot Chronicles
Trace (completely free)
Archibald's Adventures
Heavy Mach
Toki Tori
Soosiz
Hook Champ
Ragdoll Blaster
The Magic Blackboard
TanZen
Zentomino
PathPix
Ynth

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-02-2010 at 10:04 PM
Dimitris
Rank Points: 37
Canabalt and Peggle are my favorites
You can play Canabalt here http://www.canabalt.com/

Get Card Ace too. It's a free online poker game. If you like poker say goodbye to your battery.

There are some good point and click adventures too. Simon the Sorcerer 1 and 2,Monkey Island, Beneath A Steel Sky and Flight of the Amazon Queen. Perfect ports with speech.

Drop7 is one of the best tetris-like games in years.Simply brilliant.

Space Invaders Infinity Gene is definitely worth buying.

GTA Chinatown Wars is also great. And it's the cheaper version too!

EDIT: Get Sword & Poker! It's an addictive RPG + poker combination. It reminds me of Puzzle Quest ( also on the appstore- must buy if you haven't played it yet!) but a lot simpler. There is a demo for it. Also for a short period it will be 1 dollar/less than 1 euro. One of the best new releases.

[Last edited by Dimitris at 01-20-2010 11:59 AM]
01-19-2010 at 10:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Snacko
Sega has just released their Genesis emulation app and Shining Force is $3. It's an all time classic and considering that it's a turn based strategy game rather than an action game or platformer, the loss in precision due to touch controls isn't that big a deal.

01-20-2010 at 07:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Moby Dick was a classic too, but it sure was boring half the time. Is Shining Force good?

01-20-2010 at 08:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Snacko
Yes, yes it is.

01-20-2010 at 09:53 PM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
I second Toki Tori even though I play it on Steam rather than the iPhone version. Despite there being an element of realtime (in form or really slow creatures), it's really a 100% puzzle game like DROD and Fish Fillets. You will lose because you didn't think it through, not because you couldn't outrun the enemies or failed to time everything with split-second precision. Time is present, but not as a puzzle element.

01-30-2010 at 03:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
usbdriver
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 13
Try out these games:

Bejeweled 2
Assassin's Creed (1 and 2)
Bounce On (lite available)
Doodle Jump
Spore: Creatures
Enigmo (1 and 2)
Fieldrunners
Flight Control
Geared (lite available)
iBlast Moki
Jelly Car (1 is completely free, 2 is paid)
Labyrinth (1 and 2, also lite versions available)
Moron Test
Minigore
Super Monkey Ball (1 and 2)
Ragdoll Blaster (1 and 2)
Parachute Panic (lite available)
Pocket God (love it)
Rolando (1 and 2)(lite available)
Skee-Ball
Sneezies (lite available)
Spider: Secret of Bryce Manor
Stickwars (kind of old now)
Tap Tap Revenge (there are 3 versions, i think the second one is free)
The Sims 3
Topple (1 is free, 2 is paid)
Trenches
TriDefense
UNO (lite available)
Yumsters (1 and 2)
Zen Bound
Paper Toss (free)

Also not games you might like:

Dictionary
Appbox Pro
Facebook (really nice layout)
Pandora Box (helps find other nice apps)

Enjoy! :thumbsup

03-22-2010 at 10:07 AM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4576
Ooh, missed this topic. I can't really pass this by without sticking in a recommendation for Repton. Although currently only Repton 1 is available for the iPhone, 2 and 3 are in development, so you will be able to play well over 500 levels of addictive puzzling -- including some by me and some by Caravel forumite calamarain. If you've not previously encountered the Repton series, it's a rocks-and-diamonds game loosely similar to Boulder Dash, but you always have to get all diamonds and there's much more emphasis on puzzles that require using logic to work out how it needs to be done.

[Last edited by Nuntar at 03-24-2010 12:14 AM]
03-24-2010 at 12:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
usbdriver
Dimitris wrote:
Canabalt and Peggle are my favorites
You can play Canabalt here http://www.canabalt.com/

Get Card Ace too. It's a free online poker game. If you like poker say goodbye to your battery.

There are some good point and click adventures too. Simon the Sorcerer 1 and 2,Monkey Island, Beneath A Steel Sky and Flight of the Amazon Queen. Perfect ports with speech.

Drop7 is one of the best tetris-like games in years.Simply brilliant.

Space Invaders Infinity Gene is definitely worth buying.

GTA Chinatown Wars is also great. And it's the cheaper version too!

EDIT: Get Sword & Poker! It's an addictive RPG + poker combination. It reminds me of Puzzle Quest ( also on the appstore- must buy if you haven't played it yet!) but a lot simpler. There is a demo for it. Also for a short period it will be 1 dollar/less than 1 euro. One of the best new releases.

I agree with Peggle, Canabalt, GTA Chinatown Wars, and Space Invaders. I dont have anything else on your list, but am thinking on trying some out.

03-24-2010 at 04:55 AM
lakibuk
Too bad there's no lite version for Repton.

btw.: I was really addicted to Angry Birds, great game.
A physics artillery game.
Low price and it kept me glued to the ipod for days.
http://itunes.apple.com/at/app/angry-birds/id343200656?mt=8

[Last edited by lakibuk at 03-26-2010 09:54 PM]
03-26-2010 at 09:53 PM
usbdriver
lakibuk wrote:
Too bad there's no lite version for Repton.

btw.: I was really addicted to Angry Birds, great game.
A physics artillery game.
Low price and it kept me glued to the ipod for days.
http://itunes.apple.com/at/app/angry-birds/id343200656?mt=8

When it first came out it was free, like so many other games I missed. So I got some apps like PandoraBox or Hottest Apps which tell you when apps go on sale, the top 100, etc... Try them out!

03-31-2010 at 10:04 AM
Snacko
Chinatown Wars really is fantastic (although I'm getting a tad tired of GTAIII). I've also really gotten into to Hook Champ: it's a fiendishly addictive, challenging, varied and huge arcade-style title that is definitely worth checking out.

04-02-2010 at 04:37 PM
usbdriver
I have friends who have almost all of the apps mentioned so far, and they obtained them illegally via (not mentioning method name, go and buy the games, the developers deserve it!)... I would just like to say that what my friends do are just wrong and, and it's stealing. How would you like it if someone pirated your games, and you lost millions of dollars that were rightfully yours?

P.S. What I say does not match my signature, but my signature is just a signature :) .

Anyways... I just bought Zenonia 1 and I can say that it is one of the best RPG games out for iPhone/iPod touch. Also I heard Zenonia 2 came out (gonna buy it after I finish Zenonia 1) along with Bounce On 2 (the first is okay, so the second should be nicer). I think there is lite versions for Zenonia, Bounce On 1, and Bounce On 2. So check them out guys!

04-03-2010 at 02:44 PM
Snacko
Chaos Rings just came out. It's a full-fledged Square-Enix jRPG with a fun battle system, a very flexible skill system, a great story and four lengthy scenarios to play through.

[Last edited by Snacko at 05-01-2010 04:50 AM]
04-29-2010 at 04:39 AM
usbdriver
Snacko wrote:
Chaos Rings just came out. It's a full-fledged Square-Enix jRPG with a fun battle system, a very flexible skill system, a great story and four lengthy scenarios to play through.

Yep, it's awesome... but the price is ticking me off... :~(

05-14-2010 at 07:39 PM
Snacko
Why? It costs less than the average last-gen budget title.

05-16-2010 at 04:41 PM
usbdriver
Snacko wrote:

But I want it for free :angry! Even thought it is not much, I would prefer a lower price. And did anyone try the new Angry Birds update? It's amazing!

My top games right now are: (*=99 cents)

Pocket God*
Angry Birds*
Doodle Jump*
GTA Chinatown Wars*
Paper Toss
Graffiti Ball
NinJump

...and the rest of Backflip Studios apps :).

Click here to view the secret text

08-16-2010 at 08:27 AM
lakibuk
Thanks for the follow-up!
I've added your 3 free games to my german webpage about free games:
gratisspiele-downloads.de/iphone-games

Angry Birds is excellent,btw.

usbdriver wrote:
Snacko wrote:

But I want it for free :angry! Even thought it is not much, I would prefer a lower price. And did anyone try the new Angry Birds update? It's amazing!

My top games right now are: (*=99 cents)

Pocket God*
Angry Birds*
Doodle Jump*
GTA Chinatown Wars*
Paper Toss
Graffiti Ball
NinJump

...and the rest of Backflip Studios apps :).

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by lakibuk at 08-23-2010 10:58 AM]
08-23-2010 at 10:56 AM
noma
Rank Points: 1594
For those that liked Aargon, I'm recommending Trainyard. Same genre of puzzle game, but with train tracks and trains. Who doesn't like trains? Starts off really easy and does of good job of easing you into the trickier puzzles. Very addictive. Other past favourites of mine (so you can judge if this might be up your alley) include: Plants vs. Zombies, Angry Birds, Peggle, Bookworm, Fling and Yipe5.
10-21-2010 at 01:58 PM
usbdriver
Try out: Cut the Rope. I like it :).

01-06-2011 at 05:04 PM
Macho87
Rank Points: 10
lakibuk wrote:
I've got an ipod touch for christmas.
Any good iphone games out there?
There are very good iphone games.
My fav are Cubes and Tilt Maze. Also here you can get some list of free apps for you. Enjoy! allfreeiphonegames.com/logicgames

04-16-2011 at 03:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : iPhone games? (wanted: recommendations)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com