Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Beethro's First Job (10 Action-Packed levels, all based on a dungeon element/)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

6.4/10 (30 votes)
σ 1.71
Author Name:Patrick
Submitted By:gamer_extreme_101
Hold Name:Beethro's First Job
Theme:10 Action-Packed levels, all based on a dungeon element/
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:10
Number of Rooms:133
Number of Monsters:1591
Version:DROD: Architect's Edition
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:2 (+2 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Beethros First Job.hold (40.4 KB)
Downloaded 3815 times.
License: Other
icon Beethro's First Job  
I added a new factor to this hold - attention to detail. At the end of one of the levels there is a test to see how well you can spot detail in that level. It's actually very interesting to see how well you do!
04-14-2004 at 11:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
JayS
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 16
icon Re: Beethro's First Job (0)  
Good hold. :) I especially like level 7 and the test for detail, which I failed since I never pay attention to rooms that I'm visiting :D.

Did you intend for level 10, 1S2W to be solvable from the south?
04-24-2004 at 08:18 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
L10 1S2W should NOT be solveable from the South, but if you can, you gotta be one heckuva DROD player :thumbsup .

05-16-2004 at 08:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
L10 1S2W should NOT be solveable from the South, but if you can, you gotta be one heckuva DROD player :thumbsup .

Yes, it is solvable from the SE corner.
05-19-2004 at 08:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
I would LOVE to see a demo of the first four moves to defeat that room from the southeast corner. How do you get past the eyes?

Anyway, I played through this in a pretty short time, and I enjoyed every second of it. This was an enjoyable, if mostly easy, hold. Level 3 was interesting, and the roads in Toronto apply to that homage as well.

It's clear that a lot of work went in to this hold, and also went in to keeping it focused on having fun instead of being a challenge. I salute you!

05-21-2004 at 04:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bandit1200
Rank Points: 290
DiMono wrote:
I would LOVE to see a demo of the first four moves to defeat that room from the southeast corner. How do you get past the eyes?
Click here to view the secret text
I found it harder entering from the west first time I tried it.

Anyway, I played through this in a pretty short time, and I enjoyed every second of it. This was an enjoyable, if mostly easy, hold. Level 3 was interesting, and the roads in Toronto apply to that homage as well.
Yep, a most enjoyable hold. I had been playing this one when I last played DROD over a month ago, then finished it off a couple of days ago.

It's clear that a lot of work went in to this hold, and also went in to keeping it focused on having fun instead of being a challenge. I salute you!
Fun is what it should always be about, and you are right, it was fun.
05-21-2004 at 09:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Right, right, because the eyes don't see you until after your first move. Actually, you can enter on either side with your sword facing any of the northern directions, and follow the sword, and be okay.

05-21-2004 at 04:23 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Yeah...looking back I didn't know that eyes don't see you until your second turn...oops!

The only thing I want to know is if you found it easier or harder coming from the south entrance...

05-26-2004 at 02:25 AM
Treguard
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 14
Nice work, a fun hold to play.

07-17-2004 at 08:12 PM
SKWERLL
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 77
damn, accidentally did 5 brains instead of 3...
Is it possible to have an admin change the rating to 3 brains?
well, at least i got my 7.0 funness rating right

The best hold in the world!
07-17-2004 at 08:38 PM
DiMono
you can change your vote in the same way you originally cast it, my friend.

07-17-2004 at 08:40 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Just to let you all know...there will be no updates for this hold. My hard drive failed awhile ago, thus leaving both my hold (and my DROD) on a dead hard drive. This, combined with the stupid stair reset bug that I keep experiencing when I play this hold means it's permanently like this.

07-17-2004 at 09:20 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
If you ask him nicely, I'm sure Mike might be able to make the hold "Anyone Edit" for you so you can fix the bugs in it.

07-17-2004 at 10:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Rank Points: 854
icon Re: Beethro's First Job (+1)  
Very nice hold. It was nice and big and really helped be recover from all the election activity I just got done with. :fun

Thanks for all the work you put into creating this hold. :thumbsup

11-09-2004 at 04:23 AM
selotte
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
floor 7 1s I canīt see the idea, perhaps I am stupid or itīs because i am danish. I can beat the room and find the letters, but what then? please give me a hint. I am afraid it is because I not very good at english?
03-01-2005 at 12:46 PM
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
This hold offers fine puzzles, but arent very difficult. Therefore the hold is great. I am at level 9 (photo scrapbook) right now. All the levels seem to have a special theme (like snakes or spiders) and often the minimap is used as a small picture (Pic of Snake or Roach....) I also enjoyed duels against one or two goblins or goblin roach combination.

Fun (Basis : 5)

Positive :thumbsup

+ Nice various Puzzles + 2,0
+ Gentle Difficult + 0,75
+ Awesome Artwork + 1,0
+ Rooms with special themes + 0,5

Negative :thumbsdown

- Sometimes to much smiting - 0,5
===================================
Total FUN : 7,75 (this is a eight !)

About the Difficulty :

Thinking : 4
Smiting : 4
===============
Difficulty : 4

03-01-2005 at 05:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
selotte wrote:
floor 7 1s I canīt see the idea, perhaps I am stupid or itīs because i am danish. I can beat the room and find the letters, but what then? please give me a hint. I am afraid it is because I not very good at english?
At the end when you reach that question, it will give you a bit of a short synopsis on how they work, but it would probably be better to look for a Danish website that explains how they work.

03-02-2005 at 11:02 PM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Beethro's First Job (+2)  
On level 3, if you beat 2S 2E before beating 1S 1W, then you can't return to that area. (You can't go North in 2S, and you can't get past the green door on the other path of 1S 1W.)

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-07-2005 at 10:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Leus
Rank Points: 204
I had no problems with this hold that I can think of. It wasn't hard, but it was fun, as everyone keeps saying. I'm just here to agree and give you a good rating. Thanks for creating a few hours of entertainment for me.

09-13-2005 at 03:43 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Um, Level 2, 1S1E has a massive gaping trivial solution...I...think?
09-13-2005 at 05:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
How else would you solve it? It's just a trivial room...they're not all like that. :)

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-13-2005 at 05:55 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
...I dunno. It's just that a lot of these rooms look like they're gonna be complex and then aren't, and I feel like I cheated or something.

Also, re: ending

[Last edited by Banjooie at 09-13-2005 07:59 AM]
09-13-2005 at 06:17 AM
tokyokid
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 453
Mastered! Just started playing this hold again today, after I got stuck months ago. I must say, I really enjoyed this hold, pretty easy in most rooms. A little hack n' slash here and there, but I didn't mind. The first 9 levels each got a 8 to 9 rating from me, but the 10th level was not as good, especially 1S2W and 2W (the final rooms). But generally, the whole 10th level was sort of confusing. I didn't know which stairs ended the hold, so I tried every stair with a question like 'do you like old ABBA music, if yes, go down the stairs.' Eventually after restoring many times, I found the last two rooms which took about 10 minutes total, and were pretty annoying (lack of checkpoints, hack n' slash, etc) but after I completed them, I headed down the end stairs.

I guess overall, this hold could've been better without the last level, but you still got a 7 overall, and 4 1/2 brains of difficulty. Nice one, Patrick!

--Tom
11-19-2006 at 04:45 PM
Samtastic
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 14
Excellent hold ! Really enjoyed how it flowed, and made sense.

Especially liked the 'diagrams' that evolved in the lower left corner map after completing a few rooms, like the snake, spider and web, etc.

Great work,

Thanks,
Sam :thumbsup
03-26-2008 at 11:37 PM
Neathro
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 41
This proves people don't mind threadnomancy on Holds.

R.I.P:
A hold.
2004-?

(Sorry. I had to. It was probably reading too many posts by Banj.)

03-27-2008 at 09:49 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Neathro wrote:
This proves people don't mind threadnomancy on Holds.
Well, duh - the only way to start a new thread on the holds board as a mere mortal is to post a new hold, so where else would comments to an old hold go if not into that exact one thread?

np: Proem - Live @ KVRX 10-09-2001 (Merck Fragments)

03-27-2008 at 11:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Beethro's First Job (10 Action-Packed levels, all based on a dungeon element/) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com