Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : DROD RPG - Basic Optimizing
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
TFMurphy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3118
IP: Logged
icon DROD RPG - Basic Optimizing (+8)  
Just a few resources to get you started.

First, the formula that determines your score is as follows:
Score = [HP / 40] + Yellow Keys * 10 + Green Keys * 20 + Blue Keys * 30 + Skeleton Keys * 30 + ATK * 5 + DEF * 3

This means that a single Yellow Key is worth 400 HP or 2 ATK, while a Blue Key is worth less than two Green Keys. Also, ATK from equipment and base stats count towards this score. If you're aiming for high scores, make your choices based around these comparisons. And be aware that the way to optimise for the 1st Score Checkpoint may require that you do things that will *not* allow you to properly optimise for the 2nd Score Checkpoint, and so on.

===

Secondly, I've compiled a list of ATK goals to aim for to reduce the number of hits it takes to kill a monster. As an example, a Roach has an ATK goal of 25 to reduce the number of hits you take from 2 to 1. If you have 20 ATK, you'd take two hits from a Roach (assuming you hit first). If you have 25 ATK, you'd only take one. If you have *47 ATK*, you'd kill the roach outright without taking damage. Of course, you can also take no damage when your DEF exceeds their ATK, but an optimiser will want to decide how much ATK they need for various monsters rather quickly. The amount of damage you take is generally equal to the number of hits, multiplied by the monster's ATK with your DEF subtracted from it. Since your DEF can only be 10, 20 or 40 in the demo, I'll give per hit values for each of those. If you're playing the full game, then these values will quickly become not so useful anyways as you face more dangerous enemies.

I will only list the non-boss enemies found in the demo of Tendry's Tale though. Also, secret tags are being used just in case.

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by TFMurphy at 09-13-2008 08:33 AM]
09-13-2008 at 08:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mikko
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 276
icon Re: DROD RPG - Basic Optimizing (0)  
So how much greckles you own doesn't affect the score at all? I'll have to play through the demo again with this new information.
09-13-2008 at 11:35 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: DROD RPG - Basic Optimizing (+2)  
In the 1.0.1 patch I've added a display of your current score when right-clicking on the player.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
09-14-2008 at 01:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Speaking of otimizing... There doesn't seem to be any highscores for DROD RPG yet? Is there going to be a link to CaravelNet soonish. I kept getting flashing #1 every now and then, but I doubt I'm that good :P. I finally landed at a score of 4590 points.
09-14-2008 at 09:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460

File: DrodRPG.xls (25 KB)
Downloaded 202 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: DROD RPG - Basic Optimizing (+4)  
Here is a spreadsheet that calculates the attack goals for reducing the number of hits (given a monster's HP and DEF)

It currently has the same monsters as in the secret tags above. It is easy to add new monsters.

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 09-14-2008 01:42 PM]
09-14-2008 at 01:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle

File: DrodRPG.xls (25 KB)
Downloaded 89 times.
icon Re: DROD RPG - Basic Optimizing (+3)  
Added a place to put your Attack and Defence.

It now calculates expected damage and the damage you take per hit.

It highlights the next attack goal for each monster and the monster is highlighted green if it is a riskless kill.

(I also added the demo boss, so spoiler alert)

(edit: fixed bug in damage calcs)

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 09-14-2008 02:38 PM]
09-14-2008 at 02:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle

File: DrodRPG.xls (32.5 KB)
Downloaded 88 times.
Spoilers:
Spreadsheet contains all monsters that I've seen in the first half.

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 09-19-2008 04:11 PM]
09-19-2008 at 04:10 PM
Fafnir
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 315
Rabscuttle wrote:
Spoilers:

09-19-2008 at 04:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Rabscuttle wrote:
Spoilers:
In the second half, it looks like monsters have different stats. I've been updating the spreadsheet as I go, but someone who has beaten the game will probably finish putting together a second half calculator well before me.

-Erik

09-19-2008 at 10:36 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000

File: DrodRPG.xls (32 KB)
Downloaded 61 times.
icon Re: DROD RPG - Basic Optimizing (+1)  
Actually, I take it back. I think you've just got the stat wrong on the brain. It should be attack 18, right? Attached my corrected spreadsheet.

-Erik

09-19-2008 at 10:43 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
This is sort of a grey area - the ATK stat for a brain is set at 9. But it also doubles the attack of all the monsters in the room, including itself. So in a practical sense, if you see a brain in a room, it will have an ATK of (at least) 18.

09-19-2008 at 10:47 PM
ErikH2000
eytanz wrote:
This is sort of a grey area - the ATK stat for a brain is set at 9. But it also doubles the attack of all the monsters in the room, including itself. So in a practical sense, if you see a brain in a room, it will have an ATK of (at least) 18.
Oh, I see.

Still, it seems more useful to know the "effective" attack of the brain. For one thing, if you put in 18 instead of 9, in this spreadsheet it will light up the brain green when killing does no damage.

-Erik

09-19-2008 at 11:42 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Note that if they're 2 brains, they empower the attack of each other. This made me a bit confused with one of the rooms in homeward bound.
09-20-2008 at 12:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
NiroZ wrote:
Note that if they're 2 brains, they empower the attack of each other. This made me a bit confused with one of the rooms in homeward bound.

does their attack become 36?

09-20-2008 at 12:34 AM
NiroZ
Well from what I remember, one gave me 14 damage, the other 0 damage. But when neither of them was killed, they both reported giving out 14 damage.
09-20-2008 at 12:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
too bad I have no idea what your def was :)

anyway, if they re-double each other, then really it's no different than them having an attack of 18 and not affecting themselves, just each other. the '9' is only important if a second brain moves the multiplier from 2 to 3.

09-20-2008 at 12:38 AM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
Maybe the spreadsheet could include another field for inputting the number of brains in the room?

09-20-2008 at 12:42 AM
NiroZ
Ok, thorce? north and 3 east. Both brains start with attack of 36. I kill one, it drops to 18. So it just seems to be stacking, not multiplying.

Same for the nearby roach queen, which has 168 attack with 2 brains, 84 attack with one brain.
09-20-2008 at 12:44 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I don't know what you mean by "stacking, not multiplying" - multiple brains affect the attack of all monsters in the room exponentially.

So -
0 brains, x1 ATK.
1 brain, x2 ATK.
2 brains, x4 ATK.
3 brains, x8 ATK.
4 brains, x16 ATK.

and so forth...

However, the base ATK 9 for brains is significant in that when Beethro attacks a monster, the _EnemyATK variable is set to the monster's base ATK, not it's modified ATK. So, if you have a script that activates when a monster's ATK is less than 10, a brain will activate it, even though its effective ATK for combat purposes is 18.

Note that this is not relevant in the official hold, but I'm sure sooner or later someone will figure out a use for this fact in a user hold.

[Last edited by eytanz at 09-20-2008 01:15 AM]
09-20-2008 at 01:13 AM
Rabscuttle

File: DrodRPG.xls (33 KB)
Downloaded 95 times.
A room full of brains is suddenly very scary.

I added a Brains field where you can input the number of brains in the room.

I also added a column for armour with monster specific defence bonuses (even though they don't exist yet)
The bonus columns now need you to put in the exact multiplier.

I think I also fiddled with the attack goal columns.

Tell me if anything's borked.

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 09-20-2008 04:20 AM]
09-20-2008 at 04:19 AM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4590

File: DROD RPG.xls (66 KB)
Downloaded 168 times.
Added all enemies in the game and arranged them in the order they are in the level editor.

(EDIT: I don't want to overstate my contribution; only three enemies were missing from Rabscuttle's document.)

[Last edited by Nuntar at 11-25-2008 04:09 PM]
11-23-2008 at 04:20 PM
Blondbeard
Thanks Nuntar!
11-23-2008 at 06:45 PM
13th Slayer
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 27

File: DROD RPG.ods (26.2 KB)
Downloaded 102 times.
Here is the version Nuntar contributed in OpenDocument format, if anybody needs.
08-19-2009 at 12:25 PM
Blondbeard
Bump! The excel-file is really useful as an RPG tool :)

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 10-07-2010 04:31 PM]
10-07-2010 at 04:30 PM
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2670
Bumping because Jeff was struggling to find this spreadsheet.
11-18-2015 at 01:09 PM
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
Bump again because I can never seem to find this information.

Can we just sticky this topic or something?

09-15-2018 at 10:20 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : DROD RPG - Basic Optimizing
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com