Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : The Fool's Errand
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.5/10 (57 votes)
σ 2.03
Author Name:Ricky
Submitted By:bibelot
Hold Name:The Fool's Errand
Theme:
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:1
Number of Rooms:13
Number of Monsters:129
Version:DROD: Architect's Edition
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:6 (+6 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: The Fools Errand.hold (3.1 KB)
Downloaded 3849 times.
License: Other
icon The Fool's Errand  
Don't be foolish...
03-11-2004 at 08:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Hookj5
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 13
icon Re: The Fool's Errand (0)  
I have only played one room so far, the one with the roach queens in the notchs to the south and east. Is this room solveable?
Click here to view the secret text

05-27-2004 at 11:12 AM
krammer
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 904
This hold is notorious. There is (apparently- I've not worked it out and don't want it spoiled for me) a "trick" which makes the hold easy. Try looking at the thread in the architecture forum for more hints.

"Oook!"
05-27-2004 at 01:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Note - the trick doesn't make the hold easy, it makes the hold possible. If you don't figure it out, you won't be able to solve most of the rooms.

05-27-2004 at 01:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jjohn7418
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 161
bibelot,
Great hold. I spent many a days trying to figure this out, and finally had to ask for the trick. Even then I had to really think about a couple of the rooms and not "rush in".

The hold I was playing brought me back to the beginning when I finished. I'm going to download it again and try to finish it and see what happens.

Nice job!
Thanks, Jim

I reloaded the hold and finished it again. This time it said that I conquered the hold.

[Edited by jjohn7418 on 08-31-2004 at 01:08 AM GMT: Reloaded hold again]

08-30-2004 at 03:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
rowrow
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 432
Can someone please PM me with the trick? I am going nuts. I am ripping out hair handfulls at a time. :angry.I looked at all rooms and there are no secret passages to make i easier. Even if you open the blue door the green doors are still there and the aroow will trap you. So can someone please help me and PM the trick to me?THNX

11-07-2004 at 07:17 AM
rowrow
Enough. I already got a few PMs. Whoever made this hold is a really good architect. I thought it had something to do with... um something.THNX EVERYONE. :D

[Edited by rowrow at Local Time:11-08-2004 at 04:39 AM]

11-08-2004 at 04:32 AM
wackhead_uk
Rank Points: 352
Was that something something to do with a lot of hidden walls and a secret passage from somehwere? because I did.
11-08-2004 at 01:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Krishh
Rank Points: 282
eytanz wrote:
Note - the trick doesn't make the hold easy, it makes the hold possible. If you don't figure it out, you won't be able to solve most of the rooms.

True that. I found out the trick and that was hard enough, but I still can't do most of the rooms.
11-08-2004 at 04:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
Rank Points: 352
The wraithwing one is a real...ly hard one to do. And the one with the roach and the mimic.
11-09-2004 at 02:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Rank Points: 854
I just gave up until I could give it a new approach, but I am still in a quandry. Like rowrow I am going nuts so would someone please PM me with the trick. I give I give.. :w00t

Thanks

11-18-2004 at 09:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Never assume anything.

Hint:

Click here to view the secret text

11-18-2004 at 10:05 PM
techant
Rank Points: 854
Thanks Doom and rowrow for the PM's. Now I see what I was doing wrong. I needed counting leasons, 1, 2, 3... :lol

I hate switches, buttons, whatever you call those golden orbs :huh

11-26-2004 at 08:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1908
icon Re: The Fool's Errand (+1)  
This hold is the most:

UNIQUE
HILARIOUS
CLEVER
ENTERTAINING

Major kudos to bibelot.

That said:

I hate wierd WW behavior
I hate, hate, hate orb puzzles

Also, I do think it would be good to have some hints in-game. Why not put some hints where the dead end is? You could have one scroll say "Do you really need a hint?" Then have maybe a few scolls follow with hints.

In any case this hold gets a 10 from me.
Beautifully designed!
06-19-2005 at 01:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
himand5js
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
Could someone please let me in on the trick to do these rooms. I have read all the hints but my ideas aren't working. I'm stuck. Thanks :~(
11-28-2005 at 12:43 AM
larrymurk
You do know how to read your Private Messgaes (PMs), right?
11-29-2005 at 12:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
I can't figure out the first room. I obviously have to go NE to hide behind the rock, but then a roach eats me from behind and no amount of maneuvering I do can avoid that situation.

11-29-2005 at 12:39 AM
larrymurk
Chaco,

If you have a question on a specific room please use the Hints & Solutions board.

See this topic:

http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=3448

If you meed more help please reply on the Hints & Solutions board.
11-29-2005 at 01:02 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
For some odd reason, I couldn't search for The Fool's Errand in the forum search. Also, upon reading that thread, I didn't really get any help from it. I would move my query over into that thread, except I kinda already made a scene over here. :?

11-29-2005 at 12:16 PM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
You can't search for this hold in the Hints & Solutions search because all the rooms are blocked from the database due to the "secret" of the hold.

I would suggest reading through the Architecture thread for this hold to get some hints. It definitely is possible to survive in the Entrance room, so you just need to try some more. If all else fails, just make a thread for the room in the Hints & Solutions forum by choosing another hold (say KDD entrance) and then changing the title when you make a new thread.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-29-2005 at 03:38 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Oneiromancer wrote:
You can't search for this hold in the Hints & Solutions search because all the rooms are blocked from the database due to the "secret" of the hold.
I think you mean "because of the secret of the search engine not liking strings with single quotes in them"... :P

np: Phantom Ghost - Thank God It's Judgement Day (To Damascus)

11-29-2005 at 05:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Briareos wrote:
I think you mean "because of the secret of the search engine not liking strings with single quotes in them"... :P
No...I meant when you choose "Search/New Topic" in the Hints & Solutions board, and you choose the room image for the room you want help with, the Fool's Errand rooms are not listed...in fact, you might not be able to choose the hold at all (I can't tell, since as an admin it does show me all the rooms). The forum Search function is something totally different.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-29-2005 at 05:43 PM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
Oneiromancer wrote:

With all due respect (assuming I make my Diplomacy roll), I think you are mistaken. I can search for hints for The Fool's Errand, and even made a thread on one of the rooms very recently. I also see all the rooms just fine, and that includes the secret.

It could mean I am an admin, of course. Where is the "become supreme ruler of the forum" button? Quick, before they notice something is awry.
11-29-2005 at 05:55 PM
Oneiromancer
Hmmm. Well, I just checked, and the entire level is set to not show up in the room image database...if you haven't reached the room yourself. So I guess I misspoke. You can choose the rooms in the H&S Search function, but you can't see the full room image until you complete the room yourself and are connected to the forum via CaravelNet.

Game on,

11-29-2005 at 05:58 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: The Fool's Errand (+2)  
So, I was playing The Fool's Errand a little today. Now I'm very annoyed at something in this hold. There are zero checkpoints.

Why is this a very bad thing? Let's say that I've walked through all of the rooms first normally. This sets restore information for all room starts.

Then, I'll restart the hold because of some specific reason, and start playing again from the beginning. I complete several rooms. Then, after doing like four, I decide to improve one of them, because I missed several easy moves.

I click "room start" at restore screen (what else could I do?). The next thing I see makes me want to quit playing the hold. *sigh* And there's no way around it except deleting my saves and restarting the entire thing. Which I don't feel like doing just to clean some rooms for the X'th time.
05-01-2006 at 08:01 PM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Please note: It is strongly recommended that you play this hold in DROD 2.0 ("Journey to Rooted Hold") and not in DROD 3.0 ("The City Beneath"). The hold is playable in the latter; it's just...not as much fun.

[Last edited by Tahnan at 04-05-2007 07:33 PM : (typo)]
04-05-2007 at 07:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
Tahnan wrote:
Please note: It is strongly recommended that you play this hold in DROD 2.0 ("Journey to Rooted Hold") and not in DROD 3.0 ("The City Beneath"). The hold is playable in the latter; it's just...not as much fun.
Official confirmation. In case anyone needed it.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-06-2007 at 04:15 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Hahaha, this hold got nerfed so hard by 3.0....
04-07-2007 at 10:58 AM
rowrow
Im gonna see it in 3.0.
I think i know what you guys are talking about, i just dont see why it would be.
Im gonna edit in a couple mins wen i download it again.

Edit: Oh boy, now that's a big blow to this awesome hold!
Sorry for you bibelot! At least the actual rooms are hard now.

[Last edited by rowrow at 04-08-2007 06:36 AM]
04-08-2007 at 06:32 AM
Insane
Rank Points: 154
TCB completely destroys this Hold, it's pointless.
Also, would it be possible to convince the Spider (or whatever) to not show the secret in screenshots from this Hold?

I mean, that's also a bit pointless.
Then we can ask for help in this Hold again.

-Insane

[Last edited by Insane at 04-08-2007 05:25 PM]
04-08-2007 at 03:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : The Fool's Errand
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com