Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Hidden Rooms in Dugan's (Hidden Rooms in Dugan's)
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
Drizzo
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 179
IP: Logged
icon Hidden Rooms in Dugan's (0)  
Finally beat Dugan's after 2ish years, or 3 days... my brain hurts.
Anyway, I'm sure someone here knows exactly where all the hidden rooms in Dugan's dungeon are. I don't have the energy to go into the level editor and find them, but I would certainly be interested in playing them, but haven't figured out how to test a room without walking to it, and haven't figured out how to get into the hidden rooms I've seen. lv1 1w? I guess you probably can't, but I did find one other before my brain completely melted. I wish I hadn't skipped level 5 on my way to win... going back after doing 23-25 tonight was too much, and not having brains on the level made threw me off in my delirious state...

03-05-2004 at 11:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
icon Re: Hidden Rooms in Dugan's (+1)  
Yes, once you get used to brains it's disorienting to play a room that doesn't have any. It wouldn't surprise me if everyone here got trapped by that at least once.

Anyway, there are two rooms that are unreachable from normally playing the game. The first is Level 1 1W, which was actually the credits room in Webfoot. Not much to do there, just wander around on the trapdoors and read the scrolls. The other one is Level 14 3N, which is actually a pretty good room. I should get Erik's permission to put it in a hold some time.

To play a room in the editor, get yourself to the room-editing screen, press F5, then click where you want Beethro to start. Right now, you cannot have him start in such a way that his sword would do anything, or anywhere already occupied by anything else.

03-05-2004 at 02:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
JLE
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 46
icon Re: Hidden Rooms in Dugan's (+2)  
*BUMP*

Is there anywhere a list of ALL the hidden rooms in King Dugan's Dungeon 2.0, and where to get to them from?

(Note: I just bought "DROD 1 + 2 + 3" from GOG.com, containing King Dugan's Dungeon (1), Journey to Rooted Hold (2) and The City Beneath (3). I played the original long ago when there were only a couple of hidden rooms, and found both. Many more have been added and I've only found half a dozen, after beating the game again.)

It seems that nearly every level has a secret room now - starting as early as level 3, and some of them have 2 - but literally none of the edge walls in any of the "known" rooms seem to be able to crumble... so what's up?

I ask because it looks like I need to get 100% exploration so I can enter what appears to be a technically NON-secret room, south of level 1 Entrance (which I assume was just the stairs from King Dugan's Throne Room)

And yes, I know the door on level 10 in the exit room is the one which leads to Rooted Hold...

[Last edited by JLE at 10-11-2014 05:10 AM]
10-11-2014 at 05:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
I don't know if there's a list of all of them, but:
1) Once you've conquered the hold normally, the restore screen will show how many unconquered secrets remain on each level to help narrow the search.
2) If you get sick of looking, you can use the N/S/E/W navigation buttons on the H&S search to track them down. Even for rooms without hint threads, the search returns different results for "there's no thread for this room yet" and "there's no room at these coordinates". Once you know where the rooms are, the entrances are generally pretty easy to locate.
10-11-2014 at 08:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
JLE
icon Re: Hidden Rooms in Dugan's (0)  
Tuttle wrote:
I don't know if there's a list of all of them, but:
1) Once you've conquered the hold normally, the restore screen will show how many unconquered secrets remain on each level to help narrow the search.
2) If you get sick of looking, you can use the N/S/E/W navigation buttons on the H&S search to track them down. Even for rooms without hint threads, the search returns different results for "there's no thread for this room yet" and "there's no room at these coordinates". Once you know where the rooms are, the entrances are generally pretty easy to locate.

That's what I tried.

But... My copy of the game says there's a secret room on level 3, but using exactly the technique you just posted did NOT reveal a room - at ANY of the possible surrounding points?

10-11-2014 at 04:24 PM
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2670
icon Re: Hidden Rooms in Dugan's (+6)  
Here's a full list of the rooms that you access secret rooms from:

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 10-11-2014 06:17 PM]
10-11-2014 at 06:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
JLE
Well, I finally found - and worked out how to beat - all the secret rooms.

Now I'm in "The End", where you get a selection of the old rooms but in mirror image, and I've got to the Neatherville version (2N 10E) and I can't beat it...

The problem is as follows:

(a) Enter from north.

(b) Tar mother in NE corner. Tons of eyes elsewhere. 2 brains. 1 snake in an (open) room in the SE corner of the level. AND ALSO...

(c) Room in SW corner with locked door, and snake circling inside.

(d) The orb to open the snake's room is within another room on the S wall - unfortunately hitting this orb locks you within your own room, so the snake will never leave its corner because it never has a direct path to you.

(e) If you sit in the southern room with the door closed, and hit the orb to open the door to the other room, while letting the tar mother live... well then you can let the mother get big enough to spawn tar babies into the room and kill the snake, BUT, you then can't get the tar babies out of the room, whether you kill the mother or the brains or not, because the door is locked and the only way to unlock the door leaves the babies with no path to you, so they too will never leave...

And yes, I know there is no good reason to actually beat this version of this room (just kill off anything that stops you reaching the south exit, i.e. the one free snake, most of the eyes and a ton of however many tar babies spawn), but it's... irritating.

[Last edited by JLE at 10-13-2014 05:07 AM]
10-13-2014 at 04:58 AM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2386

File: snake.png (696 KB)
Downloaded 1547 times.
License: Public Domain
Snake movement rules help here.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 10-13-2014 05:21 AM]
10-13-2014 at 05:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
JLE
thanks, but then how do I make it go NORTH out of the open door? It just turns round when it reaches the end (west) wall and comes back...

(EDIT) And finally it went that way. I have no clue why. One more dead snake, and now KDD is REALLY finished...

[Last edited by JLE at 10-13-2014 04:58 PM]
10-13-2014 at 04:31 PM
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
icon Re: Hidden Rooms in Dugan's (+2)  
JLE wrote:
thanks, but then how do I make it go NORTH out of the open door? It just turns round when it reaches the end (west) wall and comes back...

(EDIT) And finally it went that way. I have no clue why. One more dead snake, and now KDD is REALLY finished...

There are a couple of snake manipulation tricks that are particularly good to know since they come up again and again. This is particularly true for some of the user made holds. One of those tricks is that moving South (or more generally just out of the same line as the snake) can sometimes be what you need to do to force a snake North.

First, the rules of snake movement:

RULE 1) If you are in the same row or column as the snakes head, it will try to move in that row/column. Usually this means it will move towards you, but you can also use this to make it move away from you.

RULE 2) If you are not in the same row/column, a snake will try to move horizontally towards you (in a turn ending in 0,1, 2, 3, or 4) or vertically towards you (in a turn ending in a 5, 6, 7, 8, or 9).

RULE 3) If a snake is unable to make it's preferred move (either by rule 1 or rule 2), it will move in one of the four cardinal directions with the following preference: It will first try North, then East, then South, then lastly West.

This is a lot to digest at first, but once you understand these rules you have the basis for a few tricks. For instance, you can use these tricks to pretty much always be able to force a snake North or East as far as you like.

For the room in your screenshot, you'll probably want to time things so that the Serpent is below the door on a turn when it will prefer vertical movement for the next two moves. That way when you move N, it will move N with you (you technically don't need vertical preference for this to happen). Next turn you would move S, and the snake would try to move S with you but be blocked by its own tail, forcing it to go to RULE 3 (and thus move N again. There are probably other ways to get it to do this as well, but that would be the first thing I tried. It takes some thinking and planning out at first, but it can be extremely rewarding once you get used to it.

10-13-2014 at 06:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Trafalgar
Rank Points: 31
kieranmillar wrote:
Here's a full list of the rooms that you access secret rooms from:

Thanks a lot! I have completed KDD now

[yt https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsYbU96LWTvwOSkE0Y2_JJatV8N6JKrGm" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

04-08-2021 at 07:19 PM
robin
Rank Points: 842
Trafalgar wrote:

Are you sure? ;)

04-10-2021 at 11:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Trafalgar
robin wrote:
Trafalgar wrote:

Are you sure? ;)

Yep - 100%

04-20-2021 at 10:04 AM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1304
Did you get the bit behind that closed yellow door on the 10th level?
04-20-2021 at 05:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Trafalgar
Someone Else wrote:
Did you get the bit behind that closed yellow door on the 10th level?

Specify the room if you don't mind

04-20-2021 at 09:58 PM
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Hidden Rooms in Dugan's (Hidden Rooms in Dugan's)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com